You know you're getting old when...

They had a compass and everything.

hqdefault.jpg

When you can remember your first black and white tv
oh mate, when i was a little kid we had B/W tv and 4 good channels and 1 fuzzy one, then one day Pops brought home a colored tv and got cable vision at the same time, went to 13 clear channels and all those saturday morning cartoons from the states, a glorious day about 50 years ago.

oh mate, when i was a little kid we had B/W tv and 4 good channels and 1 fuzzy one, then one day Pops brought home a colored tv and got cable vision at the same time, went to 13 clear channels and all those saturday morning cartoons from the states, a glorious day about 50 years ago.
FOUR?

We had BBC One, BBC Two (evenings only except for the Saturday afternoon movie) and Granada (or whatever regional variant) up until Channel 4 launched in early 1980s. Everything shutting down around midnight and at various times throughout the day too.

It's quite scary to look at the schedules now and see how scarce the programming was, here's a random example https://genome.ch.bbc.co.uk/schedules/bbcone/london/1973-08-29

FOUR?

We had BBC One, BBC Two (evenings only except for the Saturday afternoon movie) and Granada (or whatever regional variant) up until Channel 4 launched in early 1980s. Everything shutting down around midnight and at various times throughout the day too.

It's quite scary to look at the schedules now and see how scarce the programming was, here's a random example https://genome.ch.bbc.co.uk/schedules/bbcone/london/1973-08-29
The "aquarium" interlude.....whirligig, the Appleyards, Eamonn Andrews David Nixon, Lady Isobel Barnet Gilbert Harding and??? . Walking down Yew Tree road with my dad and grand-dad on a match-day, asking why is so many more joining in "Stanley Matthews" was the answer, and then you find he was injured and not even there....
Leaving school meant having to pick a trade from dozens, going to the flics was a weekly ritual no matter what the films were. The radio being a necessity for comedy
Al Read's disastrous switch to TV only being surpassed by the Archie Andrews farce...
Every summer without fail, Devon and Cornwall gridlocked. Motor-cyclists under 60, vast numbers of pre-lycra club cyclists on a sunday morning , most shopping parades having an angling/pet store, tripe and cow-heel in the UCP windows. Stood on the Kippax amazed at the cig smoke billowing from the main stand, the never ending flare of matches being struck, the sad sight of those 'orrible 3-wheelers for the disabled, and kids wearing those dreadful National Health glasses....Driving in Europe and flashing your lights and waving at "Ferry Master" and Montgomery" wagons, being amazed at the luxury of foreign campsites, compared to ours. In south manchester, "a mixed marriage" was when a "proddy married a left-footer" or a caninety as the older folks said. Weekends, every pitch on public playing fields being used, twice on each day. Conscription ended before i was old enough but most streets had ex-call-ups, it made some but more hated it, i imagine it would be the same today. People seemed to accept that reaching 70 yo
was "a good innings", that women should stick to raising kids and putting a meal on the table, calling in the pub after work was a man's right, and being on the pill was a religious crime or a sure sign of a slut and "something for the weekend" from the barbers was a reality. Victorian attitudes at home and in the workplace more persistent than Japanese knot-weed, to this day, bishops in the HoL, Sunday trading laws the pantomime of westminster....hard to imagine but the US is even further into the black-hole of religious bigotry and intolerance.

The "aquarium" interlude.....whirligig, the Appleyards, Eamonn Andrews David Nixon, Lady Isobel Barnet Gilbert Harding and??? . Walking down Yew Tree road with my dad and grand-dad on a match-day, asking why is so many more joining in "Stanley Matthews" was the answer, and then you find he was injured and not even there....
Leaving school meant having to pick a trade from dozens, going to the flics was a weekly ritual no matter what the films were. The radio being a necessity for comedy
Al Read's disastrous switch to TV only being surpassed by the Archie Andrews farce...
Every summer without fail, Devon and Cornwall gridlocked. Motor-cyclists under 60, vast numbers of pre-lycra club cyclists on a sunday morning , most shopping parades having an angling/pet store, tripe and cow-heel in the UCP windows. Stood on the Kippax amazed at the cig smoke billowing from the main stand, the never ending flare of matches being struck, the sad sight of those 'orrible 3-wheelers for the disabled, and kids wearing those dreadful National Health glasses....Driving in Europe and flashing your lights and waving at "Ferry Master" and Montgomery" wagons, being amazed at the luxury of foreign campsites, compared to ours. In south manchester, "a mixed marriage" was when a "proddy married a left-footer" or a caninety as the older folks said. Weekends, every pitch on public playing fields being used, twice on each day. Conscription ended before i was old enough but most streets had ex-call-ups, it made some but more hated it, i imagine it would be the same today. People seemed to accept that reaching 70 yo
was "a good innings", that women should stick to raising kids and putting a meal on the table, calling in the pub after work was a man's right, and being on the pill was a religious crime or a sure sign of a slut and "something for the weekend" from the barbers was a reality. Victorian attitudes at home and in the workplace more persistent than Japanese knot-weed, to this day, bishops in the HoL, Sunday trading laws the pantomime of westminster....hard to imagine but the US is even further into the black-hole of religious bigotry and intolerance.
Overseas holidays? Very privileged. You're older than me but my first trip abroad was 1989 (excluding Llandudno in the seventies). Even UK holidays were only every 4 or 5 years, the rest was playing out for 8 weeks.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.