Pep signs new contract until 2025 (p 1262)

We won the title before Pep and we'll win it again after Pep, that's the long and the short of it.

Yeah, but I don't think there is any other manager who would've won the title last season winning 14 in a row, following a 100 point season. We've seen the drop-off under the previous 2 title winning managers in the seasons following the title win.

i personally think pep has been promised another overhaul to the squad and i don`t think he will leave until we win the champions league.
Although he has form for seeing out his contract, I see this gig as much different to those at Barcelona and Bayern. Both those teams were established within Europe and within their own leagues, it just cannot be envisaged that either of them would finish outside of CL qualification places any time soon whereas in the PL there's a different dynamic. Without Pep, those aforementioned clubs still could attract new players without much trouble but until City reach that point (absolute proof that we can win the CL) then we are still in a highly competitive market. Having a manager in his final year of a contract (at the moment) could seriously affect our chances of attracting the players we need next summer should the reason a player wanting to join is partly based on that manager being there in the first place. When other teams seemingly offer more money, City are in a tricky position.

I think he will either leave at the end of this season or announce an extension soon, although I wouldn't put it past him to become Director of Football if he sees the project is unfinished. I suppose that would depend on who his replacement would be.

If Pep does five years with us, that will be beyond my expectations when he arrived. I honestly thought we might, at best, get one extra year from him on top of his initially contracted three. And I suspect that, by the time he packs it all in for good and settles for a life of luxury playing golf, five years would end up being longer than he'll have stayed in any other role in his career. But even if he only lasts to the summer of 2020, it'll have been a privilege to have had him here for as long as he had the top job at Barca and longer than he was at Bayern.

Of course I want him to stay beyond the end of his current contract. Ultimately, unless considerations in his personal life dictate otherwise, his departure will be when he feels he's gone as far as he can with the players at his disposal and he doesn't have the appetite to oversee a rebuild. In recent weeks, I thought there might be signs of him feeling that already but his more bullish approach lately seems to suggest that it isn't the case. It's become clear this season that the squad could do with a more serious overhaul than at any time since Pep's second summer and, as @richards30 says above, that surely creates a suspicion that he's been promised the club will go all out in the next two transfer windows

Still, that feeling I spoke about above that his time's up could come pretty quickly and I don't think he'd be keen to be tied down to a long contract beyond the expiry of this one. My answer would be to switch, from the summer of 2020, to a rolling one-year deal whereby he has a simple way out when he feels he's had enough. IMO, there's a sufficient degree of mutual trust between Pep and the City execs to make that a viable way of working.

I suspect we may also see him in the future back in a role at CFG. When he leaves us, he may want to work in another league and I could see him taking a national team to the USA World Cup in 2026, but he'll surely head for his next assignment safe in the knowledge that the CFG structure allows for a range of potential jobs, some pretty hands-on but others less so and perhaps ideal to combine with international management or semi-retirement.

If Pep does five years with us, that will be beyond my expectations when he arrived. I honestly thought we might, at best, get one extra year from him on top of his initially contracted three. And I suspect that, by the time he packs it all in for good and settles for a life of luxury playing golf, five years would end up being longer than he'll have stayed in any other role in his career. But even if he only lasts to the summer of 2020, it'll have been a privilege to have had him here for as long as he had the top job at Barca and longer than he was at Bayern.

Of course I want him to stay beyond the end of his current contract. Ultimately, unless considerations in his personal life dictate otherwise, his departure will be when he feels he's gone as far as he can with the players at his disposal and he doesn't have the appetite to oversee a rebuild. In recent weeks, I thought there might be signs of him feeling that already but his more bullish approach lately seems to suggest that it isn't the case. It's become clear this season that the squad could do with a more serious overhaul than at any time since Pep's second summer and, as @richards30 says above, that surely creates a suspicion that he's been promised the club will go all out in the next two transfer windows

Still, that feeling I spoke about above that his time's up could come pretty quickly and I don't think he'd be keen to be tied down to a long contract beyond the expiry of this one. My answer would be to switch, from the summer of 2020, to a rolling one-year deal whereby he has a simple way out when he feels he's had enough. IMO, there's a sufficient degree of mutual trust between Pep and the City execs to make that a viable way of working.

I suspect we may also see him in the future back in a role at CFG. When he leaves us, he may want to work in another league and I could see him taking a national team to the USA World Cup in 2026, but he'll surely head for his next assignment safe in the knowledge that the CFG structure allows for a range of potential jobs, some pretty hands-on but others less so and perhaps ideal to combine with international management or semi-retirement.
I'm not sure about a national team, it just seems like a huge gamble because he would be restricted to what's available and his system seems to rely on players playing his way, and some of these players take a while to work it out. In some respects, other than Spain, then England would be a good fit although to be fair I watch very little international stuff these days.

I'm not sure about a national team, it just seems like a huge gamble because he would be restricted to what's available and his system seems to rely on players playing his way, and some of these players take a while to work it out. In some respects, other than Spain, then England would be a good fit although to be fair I watch very little international stuff these days.

I agree with your logic entirely, but was speculating based on the fact that taking a team to the World Cup finals is something he's said he could see himself doing in the future. IF he does it, the 2026 finals would appear to me to be his best bet in terms of timing and he seemed to love his year's sabbatical in New York so might fancy an event hosted primarily in the States.

Extrapolating from his....2 other jobs is an exercise in futility as he's said a million times this job is completely different, much less pressured, he's surrounded by friends. He's not got the hometown pressure and constant backstabbing politics and elections of Barcelona, nor the behind the scenes meddling of Bayern Munich.

People said there was no chance he'd sign for us because he went to "historic" clubs. Then he signed for us and they said he'll never stay past 4 seasons because he just doesn't do that, and then he extended to 5 years here.

He left Barcelona because he didn't want to tear down and rebuild the team he'd taken so far and had given so much to him. He might fancy taking on that challenge in this different, easier, environment. Klopp and potentially a resurgent Mourinho might offer him a level of competition he doesn't want to walk away from because he's a born competitor.

I said when he joined that I thought the upper limit was 8 years, the same length of time Cruyff spent at Barcelona. I still think that's the case.

Khaldoon's comment is clearly about working together, not being friends.

We’ll see pal, if only for those who may jump in front of a bus if he doesn’t!

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.