Pep signs new contract until 2025 (p 1262)

The chairman talks about Pep

He's very committed. We're committed to him. You've seen his interview a couple of days ago. We have a great relationship. We have a great environment here.

"The people around him, the team we have in place today, the relationships I have with them, this is really an environment that's conducive to success for both him and everyone involved in this organisation. So I'm very satisfied with his commitment and our commitment to him and I'm looking forward to the continuity of this for years to come.
Just emphaisisng this to provide context for this discussion.

In my opinion and clearly the OP and many other City fans, it appears that City are trying to extend Pep's deal, and are hopeful of doing so. That is the only possible interpretation of that statement. Everything else Khaldoon said in that interview was very very measured which gives it added significance.

Khaldoon referred to Pep speaking recently and within that interview he mentioned being flattered by Bayern’s supposed interest but he still had unfinished business in Manchester.

Pep also told Lu Martin during lunch in Barcelona earlier this summer when prompted that he would stay “as long as it takes “ and you can quote me on that.

Last edited:
i don`t think he will leave until we win the champions league.

I don't think that will be the case at all and why would the club do that? He has until the end of his this contract to win the CL in my opinion. You don't offer people indefinite theoretical contracts - it's why a lot of clubs get themselves into expensive situations with sacking managers.

Also, we've spent near 600 million since he got here - why do we need another 'overhaul'. As I said, there's absolutely no rush to extend his contract and I for one feel like the board would want to see how he gets on this year.

Silva, Bravo & Fernandihos contracts runs out. Otamendi, Mendy & Sané futures looks uncertain, and a long term replacement for Aguero is needed. Possibly 7 new players in jan/summer next year. Overhaul.

I'd be asking serious questions if he needs to buy 7 players. Foden, Garcia and B. Silva can and should be looked at as replacements for D.Silva and Otamendi. We also currently have 3 left backs on our list, again - Mendy might be a crock, but we need to start looking at what we have and building on it, not just throwing wads of cash at the problem. Regardless of what people here think, the club are concerned about the perception we have globally and if we continue to just buy players and not develop - in further enhances the bullshit the media try and spin.

Sane, Aguero and Fernandinho I agree need to be replaced.

Last edited:
I'd be asking serious questions if he needs to buy 7 players. Foden, Garcia and B. Silva can and should be looked at as replacements for D.Silva and Otamendi. We also currently have 3 left backs on our list, again - Mendy might be a crock, but we need to start looking at what we have and building on it, not just throwing wads of cash at the problem. Regardless of what people here think, the club are concerned about the perception we have globally and if we continue to just buy players and not develop - in further enhances the bullshit the media try and spin.

Sane, Aguero and Fernandinho I agree need to be replaced.

Pep tried to look at what we have instead of throwing money at the problem. Mendy injured, Pep coached Delph into a Lb. Delph injured, Pep coached Zinchenko into a LB. Fernandinho injured, Pep coached Gundogan into a lone DM. Kompany leaving, Pep coached Fernandinho into a CB. But in the end, all of them are stop gap solutions. In order to improve over time, we need to address the weakensses in the squad in the transfer market. I agree Foden & Garcia should get bigger roles next season, and more youngsters after that. But in order for these youngsters to shine, they need to have consistent WC teammates around them. If Laporte is injured, Garcia is more likely to perform well alongside Koulibaly than Otamendi. A young LB would have much less pressure on him to perform if the first choice LB is Ben Chilwell than an injury prone Mendy.

Moving on from that, inevitably as the years pass by the players will no longer respond as well to Peps demanding style, and he will tire them out. Like Barca in 11/12. Therefore an overhaul of 4-5 players out & 4-5 players in would fresh up the squad and ensure Pep has the right environment to get the best out of the all players.

Last edited:
I don't think that will be the case at all and why would the club do that? He has until the end of his this contract to win the CL in my opinion. You don't offer people indefinite theoretical contracts - it's why a lot of clubs get themselves into expensive situations with sacking managers.

Also, we've spent near 600 million since he got here - why do we need another 'overhaul'. As I said, there's absolutely no rush to extend his contract and I for one feel like the board would want to see how he gets on this year.
Don't think winning the champions league comes into either way. It's an ambition but theowners understand how difficult it is and how much is down to luck, decisions and minute incidents like a missed or scored penalty. They believe all things equal Pep is our best choice of manager and will try to keep him, whatever happens this season.

Pep is a competitor above all.

He is now is the most competitive league plus is working with his friends. Then there is Klopp with Liverpool, now Mourinho with Spurs, the surprise package Chelsea led by Lampard. Arsenal will sack Emery and replace him with possibly another top manager, then you have United who will surely invest money. The competition is unreal here and just when you think the level might decrease it gets even tougher.

The media have also been on City’s back as usual and instead of pushing Pep away (their original goal), I believe they have made him more eager to stay and prove them wrong.

Pep likes a challenge and he has a big one here, continue to fight for the Premier League and finally win the Champions League, Overhaul the squad and bring through youngsters.

He has exciting teenagers like Foden, Garcia, Doyle, Harwood-Bellis coming through. Surely he wants to see them develop.

Many players like Bernardo, Sterling, Jesus, Rodri, etc are yet to reach their peak.

Now he will have the challenge of replacing Silva, Aguero, Kompany still.

There is a lot to do here. I don’t see why he would leave. Maybe if there was something attractive abroad but as I said years ago I don’t really see it.

Germany- think it’s the last place he would go.
Spain- back to Barcelona, unlikely
France-no challenge in a one team league where he’ll be judged only on a knockout competition, the CL
Italy- the most likely option imo, but again, not much attraction there right now. Juve are winning the league no problem and have Sarri. Again there he would be judged solely on the CL. Inter have Conte who I think will stay there a few years, he’s doing well. Finally Milan are in turmoil, with little money to invest and far away from top 4 even.
National team- think he’s still too young for that.

If he were to leave I could see him going to Serie A but not anytime soon.

All signs point to him staying here for the next few years.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.