Post Match Thread - United (h)

John Stones has never had a peak.
We bought potentially a great, ball playing CB.
He has not improved and has visibly changed beyond recognition of the man we bought.
We are going to have to take a very big loss to get rif of him, damaged goods is Mr Stones.
+1

We have a few worrying signs:

RODRI: Has been amazing in some games and completely disappeared in others. He has yet to make the same impact as Ferna when it comes to break up counterattacks. The amount of space we left for United to explore in the middle of park was just staggering. We failed to stop them most of the times, which is not something we see when Ferna is in his natural position. I think Rodri will eventually find his feet but right now it’s costing us.

SILVA: Still a class player for us but he lacks one very important attribute now which is pressing. He rarely offers anything defensively while you look at Foden who stole the ball from Kanté himself against Chelsea. We need more energy in the midfield and right now we have nothing to lose, so play Foden.

We need to offload Otamendi and also consider replacing Stones with a serious upgrade. He continues his unconvincing displays time and time again. The goals yesterday wasn’t really his faults but he never shows up against the big teams. We need 1 or 2 serious upgrades to play with Laporte. We need heavily investment in this area. I just pray they buy the right players this time. I still can’t believe we paid so much for Stones, and Liverpool added around 30m and got Van Dijk who is 100 times better. Stones was simply bad business.

Left backs: neverending problem. A decision has to be made whether to sell Mendy or not after the season. I’m starting to doubt he will ever get back to his level. Angelino, god knows why we bought him back. His displays yesterday was shocking. His mistakes alone could’ve cost us another 2-3 goals.

We lack a plan B and the gamble of playing midfielders in defence hasn't worked. As soon as the injury crisis started we should have gone with Garcia and Taylor bellis at the back. We may have still ended up 14 points behind the Mickey mousers but I honestly think we wouldn't have. We seem to be at the end of a cycle and need a rebuilding job doing from front to back bar Ederson in reality. I'm not sure Pep would be up for that as it's not something he's really had to do before. You also wonder how much the risk of not making the champions League ways on the managers mind. Chelsea have done it but only out of necessity with their transfer ban.

Either of those should have been employed from the day Aymeric was injured and that would have kept Ferny in his best role. I think we should have rotated Foden with David Silva to give Foden the kind of time he should be having!

We are definitely missing Kompany's behind the scenes leadership, i honestly felt a little let down by him in the way that he left,yes we all knew that his contract was up but we didn't seem to have a plan in place to replace his character .Now either the club underestimated the strength of that character or we simply had no time to find a suitable replacement, but we do seem to be missing a genuine leader from the squad , I am not having a go at Vinny just that maybe the way his leaving could have been handled better by himself and the club, we needed a transition period ( hate that phrase!) Not a here today gone tommorow Vinny shaped hole in the set up.

Thought I would give myself a nights sleep to calm down but I still think the same .. absolute disgrace... no bite and no passion, I was ashamed of my team yesterday !
44 Prem goals in 16 games - no team can just keep scoring at least 3. Yesterday was one of those games where defenders were sticking out a leg and hoping for the best - and they got their wish. We were taking one touch too many and were vulnerable on the counter - we're vulnerable to every team on the counter - even Norwich. It's nothing to be ashamed of - we had 22 attempts to their 11 and most of our possession at their end. I would be ashamed if we went to the Old Toilet, parked the bus, had 28 per cent possession and had half their attempts.

Good post and I agree about most of it. But Pep is a stubborn old sod and sometimes cannot seem to accept what's right under his nose. Why on earth did he not being in a centre back when Kompany left??? We're still lacking even when Laporte is back. Why

Agree with all of that mate.

Something I will add as well - and may get shot for. I remember many previous derby games before the takeover when various United supporters would say that we are unimportant to them and that they tegarded Liverpool as their rivals.

I always thought they were talking shite, but you know what, I don't think they were - I was wrong.

Because this is exactly how it is now the tables have turned. Normally I'd have been nervous all week before a derby, but this time, it was my wife asking me who we're playing at the weekend and me casually saying "oh yeah, I almost forgot, it's United".

But for United it was like their bloody cup final, running around like on steroids, heroic defending and looking for every moment like they wanted it much more than we did.

Probably the lack of a centre half out there we could get in the time available that suited us, in terms of style and price. We should have got an older experienced stop gap in with hindsight to cover short term. The truth is Kompany was almost irreplaceable. Even when not playing his calm, strong leadership was invaluable and I think some players are feeling it.

Yes the rags certainly wanted that more yesterday, players and fans. They had something to prove and like us so many times in the past went into the game as underdogs with nothing to lose.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.