The Boxing thread

Wow.

Been banging on about Teofimo Lopez for around a year now and he’s blasted out a decent fighter in Richard Commey to become IBF Champ.
Loma is now firmly in his sights and I would not rule out Lopez dethroning him.

After his last fight (I dont think he did as bad as most people made out but still) I thought Id take a risk on Commey at 2/1 how wrong I proved to be! Would love to see him in with Haney

Wilder is a terrible boxer full stop, if he can't get that right hand in he's fucked, he has no jab, he has no footwork, he has no head movement, and he has been rocked when he's been caught and doesn't have great punch resistance
It's no surprise anyone who enjoys boxing for what it's all about, the purists if you like which is hitting but not getting hit, don't rate him
Plenty of people I know rate Wilder and I do too.

It’s become rather fashionable to diss Wilder based on some rather crude showings years ago but those people are just spouting cliches largely. He is not a terrible boxer. He has improved immeasurably in the last 2 or 3 years. His jab per se isn’t great (neither is AJ’s ) but his one two is top class and after all one of the main functions of the jab is to gauge distance for the right hand to follow so it’s fair to say his jab is mightily effective. His footwork is good, his head movement I grant you is not so good, he showed he takes a punch well in both Ortiz fights who by the way is an absolute craftsman which makes the way Wilder drew him onto that right hand all the more praiseworthy. All in all he’s a good boxer, credit where it’s due.

It’s become rather fashionable to diss Wilder based on some rather crude showings years ago but those people are just spouting cliches largely. He is not a terrible boxer. He has improved immeasurably in the last 2 or 3 years. His jab per se isn’t great (neither is AJ’s ) but his one two is top class and after all one of the main functions of the jab is to gauge distance for the right hand to follow so it’s fair to say his jab is mightily effective. His footwork is good, his head movement I grant you is not so good, he showed he takes a punch well in both Ortiz fights who by the way is an absolute craftsman which makes the way Wilder drew him onto that right hand all the more praiseworthy. All in all he’s a good boxer, credit where it’s due.

giphy.gif

His footwork is up there with lionel Blair’s , give over, he’s technically bobbins, that’s not discounting his Thor hammer right, however, easy on the eye he isn’t!​

giphy.gif

His footwork is up there with lionel Blair’s , give over, he’s technically bobbins, that’s not discounting his Thor hammer right, however, easy on the eye he isn’t!​
Dont confuse unorthodox with bobbins. Sure he gets his feet crossed occasionally but view it functionally - footwork is there to get you in and out of range quickly and to position yourself for shots - he does both pretty well

Dont confuse unorthodox with bobbins. Sure he gets his feet crossed occasionally but view it functionally - footwork is there to get you in and out of range quickly and to position yourself for shots - he does both pretty well
Whilst I think there's a better boxer in there than most do (eg I thought he was better than people say he was against Fury), I'm not convinced he'd really get by on that alone. Not that he has to mind.

I'm on the fence with Wilder in this regard. Ortiz boxed his head off but I'm unsure whether Wilder let him knowing he could just focus on setting up a KO, or whether he just got completely outskilled and was fortunate enough to land the big one. The fact that he's only faced a small number of particularly good boxers means it's hard to accurately rate him in this sense.

I'd love to see him face a more diverse range of opponents after his fight(s) with Fury. Parker and Ruiz, two skilled guys with notably good chins, would make real interesting fights. And if he could get in with Whyte.. He'd win but it'd make a fantastic scrap for 2 rounds.

Sorry but I can't agree with most of that to be honest
Wilder is the worst heavywieght champion that I can remember when it actually comes to the finer points of the sport which there aren't many, footwork, head movement and putting shots together he does well with the 1-2 as you say so I'll give him a little credit for that but the rest is poor IMO and that's probably down to the lack of amateur experience and coming into the sport late, so from that point of view he has done well to achieve what he has
But Wilder has only been tested once in all his career and he lost that fight to (even though it was judged a draw we all know) Fury who gave him a lesson for the majority of the fight
And Ortiz might be a decent boxer, but he is an old man (probably close to 50 in reality) and up to Wilder catching him he also gave Wilder a lesson
So sorry I know it's your opinion but I'm not having it Wilder is average at best and when or if he gives Fury his rematch I fully expect Fury to box his head off, even stop him late on, as Fury will dodge that right hand all night long, because he has decent footwork, Head Movement and puts his punches together in a way Wider can only dream of
By the way I'm not an AJ fan either, but if he boxed Wilder in the same way he boxed Ruiz, he would beat him, the only way I can see Wilder beating either Fury or Joshua is by rushing them early and catching them cold

Sorry but I can't agree with most of that to be honest
Wilder is the worst heavywieght champion that I can remember when it actually comes to the finer points of the sport which there aren't many, footwork, head movement and putting shots together he does well with the 1-2 as you say so I'll give him a little credit for that but the rest is poor IMO and that's probably down to the lack of amateur experience and coming into the sport late, so from that point of view he has done well to achieve what he has
But Wilder has only been tested once in all his career and he lost that fight to (even though it was judged a draw we all know) Fury who gave him a lesson for the majority of the fight
And Ortiz might be a decent boxer, but he is an old man (probably close to 50 in reality) and up to Wilder catching him he also gave Wilder a lesson
So sorry I know it's your opinion but I'm not having it Wilder is average at best and when or if he gives Fury his rematch I fully expect Fury to box his head off, even stop him late on, as Fury will dodge that right hand all night long, because he has decent footwork, Head Movement and puts his punches together in a way Wider can only dream of
By the way I'm not an AJ fan either, but if he boxed Wilder in the same way he boxed Ruiz, he would beat him, the only way I can see Wilder beating either Fury or Joshua is by rushing them early and catching them cold

A mate tells me Ortiz had a hand in writing the original Queensbury Rules; it's what brought him out of retirement..

Nothing to confuse, it’s why he was picked off effortlessly by a guy who had ring rust coming out of every orifice in fury...

How you can evaluate his technical ability as anything other than mediocre is beyond me, but opinion all the same..

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.