Leicester (H) Post-Match Thread

Indeed it was! All those players who have had up to now a season that didn't match their form of last season at last got on the roundabout. A great team performance. I had a bad feeling about this game as soon as the fixtures were out, and I said after we had scorned a couple of good chances that Leicester would nick one with their first effort, but HowTF they are second if that is a measure of what they have played this season Eff Knows. Hoof, chase, dive, cheat, drop! No plan B when the former didn't produce any fruit. I wonder why it is that opposition players seem to suffer so grievously with the effects of gravity when the turn up at the Etihad - slightest wobbly and they collapse in a heap!
They played a lot better at the Etihad last season.

Vardy and Schmeichel (distribution apart) were outstanding. Vardy single-handedly terrified me, but today all Leciester had was Vardy going forward. LCFC were too negative. I refuse to believe that a team who are 2nd are that poor. I think Rodgers set them up too negatively. They must have had a bad game whilst we were very very good.

Mahrez's best game for City. Perhaps he just knew that Chilwell couldn't hold him, or perhaps the MOTD coverage was spot on with KDB and Mahrez managing to get 2 on 1. I just knew when I was watching that City time and time again were getting through on the right.

A strong feature of the last month has been the return to form of Ben Mendy. Another feature has been Gabriel Jesus. All he needed was games. He has produced. All doubts as to his playing quality should now have been dispelled. We're blessed to have Kun and Jesus, and you could say the same about so many City players.

All we need is Laporte to return. Player-wise there is one question remaining...who is his long term partner? Garcia, HB, Stones? There have been three major deficiencies in this side this season:

1) Centre-back crisis provoked by injury to Laporte.
2) Left-back exacerbated by injuries to Zinchenko and Mendy. Great to see Mendy improving. He's had a sustained spell of good games.
3) Lack of pace in midfield. Rodri is an exceptional player, but quick he isn't. Yesterday the balance was good and KDB has gone up a level.

So over the last month (with the exception of one bad game) I think our game has gone up a level.

Yesterday, Mahrez well and truly arrived as a player that all Man City players can trust. Please more of the same. And I believe City fans are back believing in Mendy again. I had big doubts. They are settling.

This was the best City have played in a long time.

Agree with most points but Leicester weren't bad. We made them look bad. No other team can attack like us, even Klopp had admitted it. The scary thing is this team can peform even better when Laporte and Sane return and when Sterling returns to his very best. Plus Rodri and Foden can get only better.

They will. Gundo is the new Dzeko, he’ll never do anything well. Mendy is definitely a weird one, he’s been very frustrating, but I think that’s more due to the fact we got a glimpse of what he was prior to the injury. I don’t think he’s the solution to LB, but he’s certainly improved and it’s great to see

I think with pep it's 'horses for courses' and it depends on who we are playing and their style of play. Gundy should not play in the defensive role in games against physical teams but can against others. His other strength is he can play on the edge of the apponents box too. Mendy also can play in a particular system but not all games. As for Dzeko - legend for Bosnia, legend in Germany, legend in Rome but not everyones cup of tea in Manchester - go figure!
(Sorry, not trying to ingnite the old bonfire!)

Vardy and Schmeichel (distribution apart) were outstanding. Vardy single-handedly terrified me, but today all Leciester had was Vardy going forward. LCFC were too negative. I refuse to believe that a team who are 2nd are that poor. I think Rodgers set them up too negatively. They must have had a bad game whilst we were very very good.

Mahrez's best game for City. Perhaps he just knew that Chilwell couldn't hold him, or perhaps the MOTD coverage was spot on with KDB and Mahrez managing to get 2 on 1. I just knew when I was watching that City time and time again were getting through on the right.

A strong feature of the last month has been the return to form of Ben Mendy. Another feature has been Gabriel Jesus. All he needed was games. He has produced. All doubts as to his playing quality should now have been dispelled. We're blessed to have Kun and Jesus, and you could say the same about so many City players.

All we need is Laporte to return. Player-wise there is one question remaining...who is his long term partner? Garcia, HB, Stones? There have been three major deficiencies in this side this season:

2) Left-back exacerbated by injuries to Zinchenko and Mendy. Great to see Mendy improving. He's had a sustained spell of good games.
3) Lack of pace in midfield. Rodri is an exceptional player, but quick he isn't. Yesterday the balance was good and KDB has gone up a level.

So over the last month (with the exception of one bad game) I think our game has gone up a level.

Yesterday, Mahrez well and truly arrived as a player that all Man City players can trust. Please more of the same. And I believe City fans are back believing in Mendy again. I had big doubts. They are settling.

I saw something somewhere that Pep had seen something in the Newcastle game that he thought was a a mistake in midfield but when he looked back a few games saw it was a problem that had happened a few times. He apparently changed whatever it was for the Burnley game and as you say apart from the derby results and performances since Newcastle have steadily improved.
Always said Pep would figure out any wrinkles in our game. Think with Laporte back second half of the season will be back to our best.

Special mention for Mendy. He was much improved and took the flashes from the Zargreb game and built on them. I've never felt that ball control was his strength, but today he looked more confident the game went on. There was one simple instance in the game where he took a pass and laid it off first time perfectly, it didn't cross his mind to protect his knee or even doubt that it wouldn't reach its target, it was just natural. He was physical too, which shows he trusts the knee more.

He was incredible today, not sure if you noticed it but about 85th minute Mendy went in for a tackle against 2 Leicester players and won a thrown in. Pep made a point to applaud him and even grab him to congratulate him. Said it all about his performance.

Special mention for Mendy. He was much improved and took the flashes from the Zargreb game and built on them. I've never felt that ball control was his strength, but today he looked more confident the game went on. There was one simple instance in the game where he took a pass and laid it off first time perfectly, it didn't cross his mind to protect his knee or even doubt that it wouldn't reach its target, it was just natural. He was physical too, which shows he trusts the knee more.

I got the opportunity to watch him closely H1 as I was in EL1 close to the pitch. His decision making was what impressed me the most, absolutely outstanding. Like you said his ball control and passing vision were also excellent.

I agree with that. With regards to Rodri I think his poorer games have coincided with being the lone DM and a few of the team have had off days as well.

In the formation yesterday I think Rodri would excel. Absolute genius from Pep to put Bernardo there as we simply dominated Leicester.

Yesterday’s formation is a potential blue print for how we play against the top teams at home and abroad, we were outstanding.

I agree with that. With regards to Rodri I think his poorer games have coincided with being the lone DM and a few of the team have had off days as well.

In the formation yesterday I think Rodri would excel. Absolute genius from Pep to put Bernardo there as we simply dominated Leicester.

Yesterday’s formation is a potential blue print for how we play against the top teams at home and abroad, we were outstanding.
Do you actually think it was the formation? We didn’t really have any defence minded players in that midfield, but the intensity in our play going both ways was outstanding, which has been missing this season. When we attack much quicker we are unstoppable, that was the leagues best defence so far this season and we absolutely ripped them

Do you actually think it was the formation? We didn’t really have any defence minded players in that midfield, but the intensity in our play going both ways was outstanding, which has been missing this season. When we attack much quicker we are unstoppable, that was the leagues best defence so far this season and we absolutely ripped them

Yes, I think the formation has helped make us more solid, it’s typical of Pep though not to have two traditional DM-style players in there.

As ever a formation doesn’t win a game the players do, and we were terrific yesterday. KDB’s performances have been sensational since he’s been released into that more forward role.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.