Injury Updates

Status
Not open for further replies.
Because he’s the best left winger in the league and Sterling is much better on the right. We have cups and 2nd place to fight 4 and he’ll improve the squad.

Yeah I agree. They provide more width when played that way. And I'd rather have Bernardo in the middle now than David Silva, in the big matches.

He’s no doubt our best defender and second best in the league but the assumption everything will be fine when he’s back is way off in my view. He will organise the backline and be a lot better 1v1 defender than we currently have but he can’t fix the wide open path to the centre defence from midfield so we will still be seeing the opposition get a handful of free go’s at our cb’s every week.

I actually think Sane is the bigger miss, he will improve us going forward with his pace, ability to go past players, directness, willingness to run off the ball and go down the outside plus the knock on effect of having sterling back on the right doing the same thing. All that is of more benefit to the side than what Laporte brings. If we can get by Madrid and get those two back we become a very different threat to the champions league.

He’s no doubt our best defender and second best in the league but the assumption everything will be fine when he’s back is way off in my view. He will organise the backline and be a lot better 1v1 defender than we currently have but he can’t fix the wide open path to the centre defence from midfield so we will still be seeing the opposition get a handful of free go’s at our cb’s every week.

I actually think Sane is the bigger miss, he will improve us going forward with his pace, ability to go past players, directness, willingness to run off the ball and go down the outside plus the knock on effect of having sterling back on the right doing the same thing. All that is of more benefit to the side than what Laporte brings. If we can get by Madrid and get those two back we become a very different threat to the champions league.
We’re the top scorers in the league and our defence has been shambolic at times since Laporte got injured.
Think it’s a stretch to argue Sane has been the bigger miss.

We’re the top scorers in the league and our defence has been shambolic at times since Laporte got injured.

Laporte plays 90 mins every game and Sané was starting about 30% of the games in the 6 months of 2019 he was fit.

There's no debate about who is a bigger miss.

Agree, Laporte is definitely the bigger miss, it's not just in defence he's missed either, his presence gives the whole side a much better balance.

I get a good feeling about a Laporte and Fern as a partnership, it's pretty much the same as Mascherano & Pique (but opposite foot). The problem (IMO) hasn't been that Fern has been pushed back, it's that he is having to be the one that organises the defence as well.

I still think Sane has been a huge miss but Laporte is literally our only quality defender.
I don't think that's really true

Walker is a good defender. Mendy struggled badly initially but I think he has been much better recently. I know he made a terrible mistake at Wolves but it's not yet clear how much more he can improve. I was too impatient when he came back. I think he's doing well now. More to do. Stones was good in 2018/19 alongside Laporte.

I bet if you took VVD out of Liverpool's back 4, then Gomez, Matip, TAA etc would fall to pieces.

I don't think that's really true

Walker is a good defender. Mendy struggled badly initially but I think he has been much better recently. I know he made a terrible mistake at Wolves but it's not yet clear how much more he can improve. I was too impatient when he came back. I think he's doing well now. More to do. Stones was good in 2018/19 alongside Laporte.

I bet if you took VVD out of Liverpool's back 4, then Gomez, Matip, TAA etc would fall to pieces.

Mendy has been hammered by that mistake against Wolves, but he was fouled, players shield the ball all the time, you can’t just barge them off the ball.

Mendy has been hammered by that mistake against Wolves, but he was fouled, players shield the ball all the time, you can’t just barge them off the ball.

He was but should never have been in a position to be fouled in the first place, his error was trying to allow a ball run out of play when it wasn't going to, like Delph against Spurs in the CL qf.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.