Liverpool thread 2019/20

Status
Not open for further replies.
Right. Liverpool fan here. Someone tweeted about this and my job is pretty mundane so I thought I'd take a gander.

FWIW, as much as I like winning every game, I'd love to be involved in a proper topsy-turvy title race. Last year's was crap, there weren't any twists post February it was just two teams maintaining the same position and winning every week. Bit rubbish. This year's obviously is looking like a bit of a procession. So hopefully next year, when City are fully fit and we're on a slight comedown, things will get interesting.

I think VAR is an interesting one, a lot of people seem to think we've paid them off or something. It's very iffy, particularly when it comes to offsides, but it hasn't actually done that much in terms of benefiting us. If you look at what it's overturned, it's not that many. It's mainly the refereeing decisions which have helped - just like last year ;). The other thing I remember reading at the beginning of the season is we changed how we defend to counteract the introduction of VAR. I think it was a Ljinders interview, I'll see if I can find it but I do wonder how many other teams thought to do the same.

I think City win the CL this year, too. I know a lot of you claim not to care which is fair, but a lot of the players will, especially the manager. So it'll drive them. With Sane/Laporte back, you have the best on paper XI so I don't see any reason why you can't. Maybe you keep faltering because of a specific mentality (well aware of VAR last year). Similar to you at Anfield or us at Old Trafford. Dunno. Something you'd know more about.

Not gonna comment on some of the vitriol on here, because, while I never, ever go on RAWK, I would assume it's similar on there. That being said, the "dippers" shout - think it's time people just started to leave that behind. It's offensive, not in a playful way, and considering the way the country is going I think it's better for people to stick together than make shouts like that. Drop C-bombs all you like lol, just think it's kinda archaic and should be removed from here.

Anyway, enjoy your day, might check in later might not.

Last edited by a moderator:
Our record at Anfield is absurdly bad. It’s like a mental hurdle that we’re seemingly unable to overcome. Makes it all the more frustrating that Mahrez didn’t bury that penalty last year. They were obviously helped by VAR/Oliver when we met this year, but I have no real confidence that we’d have got a result regardless. Actually hope we get them in CL this season just so we get another chance to bury this hoodoo.
Two wins in nearly 60 years could definitely be improved upon.

Right. Liverpool fan here. Someone tweeted about this and my job is pretty mundane so I thought I'd take a gander.

FWIW, as much as I like winning every game, I'd love to be involved in a proper topsy-turvy title race. Last year's was crap, there weren't any twists post February it was just two teams maintaining the same position and winning every week. Bit rubbish. This year's obviously is looking like a bit of a procession. So hopefully next year, when City are fully fit and we're on a slight comedown, things will get interesting.

I think VAR is an interesting one, a lot of people seem to think we've paid them off or something. It's very iffy, particularly when it comes to offsides, but it hasn't actually done that much in terms of benefiting us. If you look at what it's overturned, it's not that many. It's mainly the refereeing decisions which have helped - just like last year ;). The other thing I remember reading at the beginning of the season is we changed how we defend to counteract the introduction of VAR. I think it was a Ljinders interview, I'll see if I can find it but I do wonder how many other teams thought to do the same.

I think City win the CL this year, too. I know a lot of you claim not to care which is fair, but a lot of the players will, especially the manager. So it'll drive them. With Sane/Laporte back, you have the best on paper XI so I don't see any reason why you can't. Maybe you keep faltering because of a specific mentality (well aware of VAR last year). Similar to you at Anfield or us at Old Trafford. Dunno. Something you'd know more about.

Not gonna comment on some of the vitriol on here, because, while I never, ever go on RAWK, I would assume it's similar on there. That being said, the "dippers" shout - think it's time people just started to leave that behind. It's offensive, not in a playful way, and considering the way the country is going I think it's better for people to stick together than make shouts like that. Drop C-bombs all you like lol, just think it's kinda archaic and should be removed from here.

Welcome to the forum. I hope you've brought your tin hat and have a thick skin.

Anyway, a decent opening post. Disagree about last year's title race though - I thought it was fascinating and the lead did keep changing hands due to us both kicking off at different times for the majority of the run-in.

VAR has been discussed to death on here and it's doubtful that there will be anything approaching universal agreement between both sets of fans. I would add, however, that we've dropped a fair few points this season that had nothing to do with VAR. Defeats away to Norwich and at home to Wolves were entirely our own doing with both teams opening us up at will, and not a whiff of a VAR controversy in the air at either game. Our defensive issues only tell some of the story though, as we've also been wasteful at the other end too.

The league has long since gone so I've gotten my head around Liverpool winning it for a while, plus it'll piss off the United fans more than us. I don't want you taking our points record though ;)

Reactions: Ric
Welcome to the forum. I hope you've brought your tin hat and have a thick skin.

Anyway, a decent opening post. Disagree about last year's title race though - I thought it was fascinating and the lead did keep changing hands due to us both kicking off at different times for the majority of the run-in.

VAR has been discussed to death on here and it's doubtful that there will be anything approaching universal agreement between both sets of fans. I would add, however, that we've dropped a fair few points this season that had nothing to do with VAR. Defeats away to Norwich and at home to Wolves were entirely our own doing with both teams opening us up at will, and not a whiff of a VAR controversy in the air at either game. Our defensive issues only tell some of the story though, as we've also been wasteful at the other end too.

The league has long since gone so I've gotten my head around Liverpool winning it for a while, plus it'll piss off the United fans more than us. I don't want you taking our points record though ;)

Different Liverpool fan here

As much as taking the points record would be amazing, I can't shake the feeling that it simply will not happen. I foresee us winning the League, sure, but for some reason, I don't think we will get into the 100s. I feel that we will pick up more draws in the second half of the season, especially around the CL knockout stages, if we go deep into that competition again.

Different Liverpool fan here

As much as taking the points record would be amazing, I can't shake the feeling that it simply will not happen. I foresee us winning the League, sure, but for some reason, I don't think we will get into the 100s. I feel that we will pick up more draws in the second half of the season, especially around the CL knockout stages, if we go deep into that competition again.
I think you'll smash 100 points, sadly. You "only" need to win 13 out of your last 17 games, which you're well on course to do. Hopefully a bit complacency will creep in once the title is won, but I just can't see anyone other than us potentially beating you.

I think you'll smash 100 points, sadly. You "only" need to win 13 out of your last 17 games, which you're well on course to do. Hopefully a bit complacency will creep in once the title is won, but I just can't see anyone other than us potentially beating you.

I'm not going to lie, when you put it like that, it seems easy and inevitable that we will break the record, but I guess we'll have to see. Tbh, I don't really care about records like this, I just wanna win the bloody title for once in my lifetime.

Edit: If we go far in the CL and have virtually wrapped the title up early on, then I wonder if Klopp would sacrifice going for the PL record, etc, and resting players for the CL instead? If so, then plenty of points could be dropped towards the very end.

Last edited:

I stopped reading when you posted last years title race was crap, no more to see here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.