Talksport

As a neutral I have been surprised by the discussion about Kane vs Aguero. For me Aguero is a giant of the game and one of the finest strikers the Premier League has seen. Kane is very good obviously but I don't think he's the level of Aguero and the like.

Plus he has become a right snidey, cynical, whingeing git of a player. Aguero gets bonus points for trying to do Grealish on Sunday!

Anyway, this morning Dr Brazil had some sage advice this morning for anyone with a gambling problem:

"Just don't do it, don't have an account, GROW UP!!!!"

Closely followed by the guy from Coral, telling everyone that the website was down, so we must all get down to the shops to get your bets on.

The greatest first division scorer by a country mile was Greaves anyway.
Makes Shearers stats look crap.
Absolutely the best, as you say.. Statistics alone show Greaves way ahead of everyone else in the history of the English game. What they don't show is the fear he struck into every opposing team/set of fans in the build up to the game when due to play against him, for the best part of a decade. He was that good. He was almost unstoppable for at least 6-7 seasons from 1959-68 and took Chelsea and then Spurs, when he returned from Milan, both to different levels of attacking threat.

I know there are arguments regarding different eras of the game which show that things have 'improved' over time (including levels of fitness, technical skills and tactics) But Greaves was a sublime goalscorer and his spatial awareness alone would see him thrive in today's game (if he could be arsed to turn in for training, that is!) I'm glad I saw him live, several times, along with the likes of his team mate John ('The Ghost') White and others such as Alex ('The Golden Vision') Young at Everton, 'Slim' Jim Baxter (Sunderland and Forest), Bobby Moore (West Ham) and so on. The modern obsession, especially among media-johnnies, with 'all things Premiership' means that these true greats of the game have their achievements diminished/eroded by the obsession with whoever is the latest flavour of the month according to those very media types, who are only concerned with chasing click-bait..

Absolutely the best, as you say.. Statistics alone show Greaves way ahead of everyone else in the history of the English game. What they don't show is the fear he struck into every opposing team/set of fans in the build up to the game when due to play against him, for the best part of a decade. He was that good. He was almost unstoppable for at least 6-7 seasons from 1959-68 and took Chelsea and then Spurs, when he returned from Milan, both to different levels of attacking threat.

I know there are arguments regarding different eras of the game which show that things have 'improved' over time (including levels of fitness, technical skills and tactics) But Greaves was a sublime goalscorer and his spatial awareness alone would see him thrive in today's game (if he could be arsed to turn in for training, that is!) I'm glad I saw him live, several times, along with the likes of his team mate John ('The Ghost') White and others such as Alex ('The Golden Vision') Young at Everton, 'Slim' Jim Baxter (Sunderland and Forest), Bobby Moore (West Ham) and so on. The modern obsession, especially among media-johnnies, with 'all things Premiership' means that these true greats of the game have their achievements diminished/eroded by the obsession with whoever is the latest flavour of the month according to those very media types, who are only concerned with chasing click-bait..
Brian Clough was none too shabby either.

Dixie Dean wasn't bad either.

It's really pointless to compare them.

When Jimmy Greaves was playing, there was on average 4 goals a game. Now there's about 2.7. He was playing 42 game league seasons but only playing once a week.

With Dixie Dean, things like the offside rule don't even exist, the quality of the football is incomparable, and most defensive tactics haven't even been invented yet.

Imagine how many Sergio or Shearer would get if he only had to play once a week, and every game had nearly 2x as many goals because defending was so much worse?

The reason people use "Premier League" stats is because 1992 is a pretty good marker for the beginning of this modern era of football. The offside rule gets close to its modern iteration, the pass back rule comes in, the European Cup becomes the CL and the PL is created which creates this huge influx of money at the top. The Bosman rule changes up transfers across Europe as well and everyone (except germany) settles on 38 games a season.

It's a good bookend for modern football, and comparing across the era's is an exercise in futility IMO.

Last edited:

I've learnt a lot about the old days from this thank you, the main thing being that they had crap nick-names back then ;-)

As a neutral I have been surprised by the discussion about Kane vs Aguero. For me Aguero is a giant of the game and one of the finest strikers the Premier League has seen. Kane is very good obviously but I don't think he's the level of Aguero and the like.

Plus he has become a right snidey, cynical, whingeing git of a player. Aguero gets bonus points for trying to do Grealish on Sunday!

Anyway, this morning Dr Brazil had some sage advice this morning for anyone with a gambling problem:

"Just don't do it, don't have an account, GROW UP!!!!"

Kane is further behind Aguero in terms of goals scored now then he was when he made his debut.

He's nowhere near the conversation between Aguero/Shearer/Henry at the moment.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.