Is Manuka honey worth paying extra for?

No evidence means no evidence. Its very hard to prove. Generally for something to be accepted to a scientific standard you have to understand it on a bio chemical level and also demonstrate in a clinical environment. When you develop drugs they start with the chemistry and end up in clinical trial.

With this sort of thing no one can explain how it is supposed to work so there is no point trying to determine if it does actually work. Its a nice idea and people want it to be true. Up to you how you spend your money.
Are you on about Manuka honey having (allegedly) more beneficial properties than normal honey, or honey n' lemon not being good for colds and flu?

You cannot market UK honey as organic because a bee can travel 100 miles for pollen, therefore one cannot be sure it's organic. That's why organic honey comes from places like New Zealand as they can have areas that large that are chemical free.
Organic honey scraped from beehive honeycomb is just that. Not pasteurised with additives and preservatives added, nothing, just pure natural organic honey.

Dont eat honey myself but do sell it. According to my customers they swear by honey as local as possible partly because it saves on food miles , but main reason they say is its good for hay fever because the bees make it from local pollens which are what causes their annual allergic reaction. Don’t know how true that is.

Dont eat honey myself but do sell it. According to my customers they swear by honey as local as possible partly because it saves on food miles , but main reason they say is its good for hay fever because the bees make it from local pollens which are what causes their annual allergic reaction. Don’t know how true that is.
Like another poster mentioned, honey has been eaten thousands of years and found in Egyptian tombs. It's a super food with several beneficial health and skin properties in it.

Like another poster mentioned, honey has been eaten thousands of years and found in Egyptian tombs. It's a super food with several beneficial health and skin properties in it.
Yes, It’s the local being better for hay fever sufferers I wasn’t sure of. But my customers seem convinced so not going to argue with them.

If you are buying it for the taste, not worth the money imho, i think it tastes quite unpleasant myself, it has a distinct different taste to honey. The price hike is for its claimed health benefits, which is a whole other discussion in itself. Im not sure ive heard of anyone having manuka honey to enjoy it, when not trying to cure or prevent something, but might be wrong.

If it is taste you are after, whisky honey mate.

If you are buying it for the taste, not worth the money imho, i think it tastes quite unpleasant myself, it has a distinct different taste to honey. The price hike is for its claimed health benefits, which is a whole other discussion in itself. Im not sure ive heard of anyone having manuka honey to enjoy it, when not trying to cure or prevent something, but might be wrong.

You mean like Jack Daniels Honey ?

A fiver for a 500gm jar is a bargain for manuka honey. And I really like the taste. Not as sweet as many honeys, especially supermarket honey. The brand of Manuka I bought has a bit of toffee liquorice flavour about it, that obviously comes from Manuka pollen. I'll stock up on it if I see it same price next week.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.