David Silva - 2019/20 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.
Of course they respect him but that doesn't necessarily make him the best person for the job does it. I've heard he's very good with the players, in a quiet way, in the dressing room. But do you think he'd have given Otamendi the shit that KDB rightly gave him last night? And KDB is supposedly very quiet off the pitch but on it he's a warrior. And that's what I want from a captain and what Pep should want as well.

Him getting the captaincy felt like a token gesture, because he has given the club so much over the years. My issue was that he was awful for the latter half of last season and wasn't really deserving of a place in the side. I don't believe we should have been giving the captaincy to someone who wasn't guaranteed to be in the team.

Him getting the captaincy felt like a token gesture, because he has given the club so much over the years. My issue was that he was awful for the latter half of last season and wasn't really deserving of a place in the side. I don't believe we should have been giving the captaincy to someone who wasn't guaranteed to be in the team.
Spot on. Far too much sentimen in the decision.

Vinny wasn't in the team most of the time,dave is captain whether he plays or not

He’s a super sub to close games out now, imagine we get to the CL final I’d rather he be on the bench let us be faster paced in attack for 70 mins and then get a couple of goals up bring him on to close the game out, he would be up there with Messi if only he would shoot more, I can’t believe someone of his quality bottles it in front of goal.
I agree with most of your post...but then Silvas goal scoring record for Spain is pretty impressive!

Vinny wasn't in the team most of the time,dave is captain whether he plays or not

Vinny was a proper captain though and the best leader we’ve ever had. When he was on the pitch there was no doubt who was in charge. Silva being captain out of respect for what he’s done and as a token gesture sums this season up. Not picking players on form, constant rotation and decisions on who takes penalties like it’s a bloody kids team. Meanwhile the scousers have been completely ruthless.

Vinny was very rarely, if ever, out of the team based on poor form. We know he had his injury problems but he was a warrior and a born leader, on and off the pitch.

I love David but his form over the past 12 months has been patchy and I don’t believe you give the captaincy to someone who doesn’t deserve to be in the team. I wrote the following on here, in July after the Yokohama game:

“David looks to be struggling in pre-season, as he did for the last 3 months of the season. Making him captain could be a problem, because I think we will get 6 games into the season and people will be calling for him to be dropped.”

I don’t think I was a million miles away from the mark.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.