Earliest City match attended by a forum member

Anyone remember the song supporters sang in 50s 'Bless em all' the long and the short and the tall,
"Bless em all bless em all Bill Levers Bert Trautman and Paul
Bless Roy Little who blocks the wing and Jackie Dyson the penalty King
Can't remember any more and first match was 55 or 56 with my old man and three older brothers I was five and can't remember who we played though.

Neil would normally have played at 7 in those days.

Harley was an enigma, He was great at City but did nothing at other clubs. He jumped ship to Birmingham City after City were relegated but only lasted one season before moving to Dundee with brief spells at Portadown and Cape Town. He was working in a hotel in Birmingham when he died aged 33.

Wagstaffe was my favourite City player. A few years later, as usual we went down to Shropshire at my Grandparents for Christmas. I decided to get the bus to watch the Wolves match on Boxing Day. I arrived a the stadium as they introduced their new signing: David Wagstaffe. I was gutted! Imagine the City team in 1967-68 with Wagstaffe at number 11 instead of Coleman?

Agree with all of that the Alex Harley story was awful, loved him for us, why go to Brum. So sad he died & alone

"Bless em all bless em all Bill Levers Bert Trautman and Paul
Bless Roy Little who blocks the wing and Jackie Dyson the penalty King
Can't remember any more and first match was 55 or 56 with my old man and three older brothers I was five and can't remember who we played though.
Brilliant

1964 , my dad said it was a game versus Swindon and Buzzer was playing against us , i was only 6 years old so not sure of the facts , never looked it up , i do remember i had a wooden rattle painted blue and white and it made a hell of a din and it was bloody heavy , pretty vague but apparently that was my first game , my sons 2nd game was the Huddersfield 10-1 and he turned round and said "are City this good every week" , the innocence of a child :)

Obviously City have no history, but what’s the earliest match that any of you were at? Not your dads or granddads, I mean genuine forum members. I’d like to think we have someone that was at the 55/56 cup finals. Do we have any earlier? Surely nobody can claim to have seen us win the league in 1937. Can they?

EDIT: EARLIEST ATTENDANCE CLAIMED SO FAR IS 1949 BY TWO POSTERS, ALTHOUGH ONE WAS A RESERVE MATCH AND ONE CANNOT REMEMBER OPPONENTS.

WE ALSO HAVE JUST ONE POSTER WHO ATTENDED AND CAN REMEMBER THE 1955 CUP FINAL
Well that's me already out then. I can remember standing next to my dad in the Kippax with my 2 years younger sister on his shoulders, it must have been late 60's but that is all I can recall besides not being able to see a damn thing :(

Edit: damn, reading some of the others posts makes me realise how crap my long term memory is.

I am only a nipper on this forum so for me it was 1971 the 3-3 against the rags as a ten year old I think it was my first game don't remember much about the game but the crowd was amazing I seem to remember just watching the crowd, sat on the wall between the kippax and north stand watching all the fighting going on, was hooked good time.

I remember that night. We had to wait for the score from the bloke who put the scores up for the full time result between villa and WBA

Yeah I think we had to win by one goal more than Villa. I also remember City won a corner and Bert was way outside his penalty area on his haunches shouting the Villa score to the rest of the team. Also no doubt shouting something like "don't fcuk it up". Lol.

Early 1956 for me. It was a QF match in the FA Cup against Everton. I was 9 and absolutely amazed at seeing so much green grass and so many people. I actually wasn't able to see that much of the game and was totally unable to move because of the crowd. Whenever the crowd roared I asked my dad what was happening; he was so short, he couldn't see either.
A tall bloke overhead me and said "Hayes has just scored" but I had no idea who Hayes was. My dad went to the final but couldn't afford two tickets. I watched it at home on a rented 12" TV.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.