COVID-19 — Coronavirus

Status
Not open for further replies.
Those leading the government.
But you don’t seem to understand that when 9 experts are saying one thing, and the other 1 saying is saying another (for the uk) that it’s perfectly reasonable to question why that is and whether that’s correct.

Doing so does necessitate anyone believing they know better than the UK CMO.

I can tell you one thing this self isolation is totally bollox must be at least 4 people coughing in my office yet they are still in work! Wtf
Could it be that there are usually at least 4 people coughing in your office at this time of year, but you don’t normally notice it?

Apologies if its been covered as this thread moves quite quickly but in regards to "Herd immunity" last week they were saying if you contract it and recover you are not immune and can catch it again, so what has changed that we now think we will be ok if 60% of the population get it? Also if we already have two strains you'd imagine it could mutate again and even if you become immune to one strain would you necessarily be immune to the others?

It's been reported that it doesn't mutate much.

I think the expectation is that there will be residual immunity - I haven't seen anything saying otherwise, although I have seen some badly mangled statements about that.

As for multiple strains, impossible to answer - it will depend on how similar the strains are, and how the vaccine relates to them.

I was trying to ascertain where you got the "extra 500,000" deaths line from, as it is dangerous to quote this (unless you have a reliable source) because it will affect other people's opinions if they choose to believe it and ultimately support it. Do you really think the government would be choosing this option? And people defending it? I wouldn't if it was predicted. (By the way, odd that you accept this prediction but nothing else).

I have no idea what you mean by me dreaming up anything, I am however aware of the dangers of spreading false or incorrect data, whether maliciously or inadvertently. I'm not trying to score points and if you read any of my posts I always try to include supporting links to my sources so people can choose to either agree or ignore it.

Here's another professor of epidemiology, this time at Berkeley University explaining the likely short- to mid-term outcome of this virus.

https://www.nbcnews.com/now/video/e...ty-flattens-the-coronavirus-curve-80512581952
In fairness, the Chief Medical Officer said their worst case scenario model was that 80% of the population would get it.

He also said it appears to have just less than 1% mortality rate.

A journalist asked him the potential deaths if those figures come to pass.

He said he didn’t want to quote that figure as it would become a headline that would alarm people, but it was a simple calculation anyone could do.

If 80% of the British public got it and around 1% of them died, it would be roughly 500,000 deaths. A similar figure to WW2.

Guys, I don't know if you've noticed from what your correspondents in Italy have said, but there's no panic buying here lol. Food stores (and food shops) are open, farms are a-working and so are factories.
You can go outside and buy food and useful stuff as you usually do.
There's no need to ridicule yourselves with panic buying that causes more harm than good.

Cool, was just a passing thought i had.

I doubt anybody has been through anything like this so i don't know how far things go and where it comes to a grinding halt, if indeed it does.

In fairness, the Chief Medical Officer said their worst case scenario model was that 80% of the population would get it.

He also said it appears to have just less than 1% mortality rate.

A journalist asked him the potential deaths if those figures come to pass.

He said he didn’t want to quote that figure as it would become a headline that would alarm people, but it was a simple calculation anyone could do.

If 80% of the British public got it and around 1% of them died, it would be roughly 500,000 deaths. A similar figure to WW2.
But not an EXTRA 500,000 deaths, i.e. 1million.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.