Will Covid change the world

I think if people were just as productive at home, then more companies would already do it. What company wouldn't want to save on office space? But realistically, how many people working from home even have things like safe office furniture. A couple of weeks working on a laptop on the sofa might not be a problem, but they'd have to pay to kit out everyone's home office if they wanted them to work from home permanently, or risk getting sued for injuries.

Also let's be honest, if you can do it from home then it's not a proper job, is it?
Ask 4m people....there are a lot more people working from home than most people realise

Also let's be honest, if you can do it from home then it's not a proper job, is it?

Aye ?!
I’m an operator for a shipping company, Im in contact with Masters on board and tell vessels where to go and what to load,Quantity, temperature of cargo, terminal issues etc etc

I can do this at home in my boxers.

I'm hoping it will give us a little more humility as a species, and wake us up to the possibilities of working from home. In doing so also reveal the farce of paying a fortune to live in a tiny box in the city, when the same job could be done somewhere lovely over the Internet.

Working from home is the major one. Companies will realise they manage just fine with 30% of the workforce not in the office all the time and I expect we'll see a lot more people working 2 or 3 days a week in the office.

The other one is that it might shape American politics pretty drastically. Their terrible response so far and the republicans blocking any bill to introduce free medical care or paid sick leave might just be the thing that wakes them up to how fucking awful their system is if it hits them worse than most countries.

If it's really bad and in the aftermath we find out how incompetence of the Trump administration killed thousands or tens of thousands of people then you would think the republicans would be in for a very bad ride in the near future, not to mention their iggest demographic is the most vulnerable.

If you're an optimist you might think that times of crisis bring people together, and seeing China help out Italy with resources and personnel is the kind of thing that can foster bonds between countries that never existed before. Maybe we'll see Iran open up a bit more if it needs help? American-Chinese relations improving? EU and UK putting Brexit to one side.

I think the issue for companies with working from home is more about managers needing to have minions in the office to be seen to be managing, I think the board levels would see it differently, but then again it depends on their commitments for office space they are renting/buying.

Working from home is the major one. Companies will realise they manage just fine with 30% of the workforce not in the office all the time and I expect we'll see a lot more people working 2 or 3 days a week in the office.

The other one is that it might shape American politics pretty drastically. Their terrible response so far and the republicans blocking any bill to introduce free medical care or paid sick leave might just be the thing that wakes them up to how fucking awful their system is if it hits them worse than most countries.

If it's really bad and in the aftermath we find out how incompetence of the Trump administration killed thousands or tens of thousands of people then you would think the republicans would be in for a very bad ride in the near future, not to mention their iggest demographic is the most vulnerable.

If you're an optimist you might think that times of crisis bring people together, and seeing China help out Italy with resources and personnel is the kind of thing that can foster bonds between countries that never existed before. Maybe we'll see Iran open up a bit more if it needs help? American-Chinese relations improving? EU and UK putting Brexit to one side.
Very well considered post.

Many people will now start working from home and if it’s proven they can do this successfully then why not continue in the future, I’m not talking whole hearted shut offices but Shirley it could be options for firms. Cuts down on travelling, pollution and traffic.
After the fire service strike in 2002 false alarms dropped dramatically as people became more self aware and dare I say responsible, this then continued after the strike finished as people got into habits.
Not everyone is able to work from home mate.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.