COVID-19 — Coronavirus

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can you expand on

A, what you like listening to.

B, which points he ignores/misses.

Which is more important A or B

A - I don’t know why I like listening to him, I disagree with a lot of what he says. Maybe it’s his sense of self-importance

B - one of the most obvious points he misses is about hospital capacity.

Don’t shoot the messenger, just what they are reporting.

From the Science Editor in the Times-
Not at all mate, not having a go and obviously hope that the end figures are nowhere near some earlier predictions pointed to. We need all the good news we can get right now. I'm just basing my doubts on what happened here and how the death toll is still growing on a day to day basis.

Pop of NZ 4.8m
Pop of UK 67m
Note the difference

What has the size of population got to do with it? They were quicker to lock down, quicker to get supplies in and have been testing 2000 people a day and going for double that this weekend whereas we have only just starting to test 1700 people this weekend.

Another thing worth mentioning:

I have just put the post and the newspaper in the oven for 30 minutes. Apparently Coronaviruses are rendered non-infectious by 30 minutes at 75C, so I am giving it 30 minutes at 90C to be safe.

Provided you don't have a gas oven and you keep your post/newspaper well away from any heating element, this might seem like an easy and worthwhile precaution. 75C isn't going to set fire to anything.

The survival abilities on the surfaces of eight different materials and in water were quite comparable, revealing reduction of infectivity after 72 to 96 h exposure. Viruses stayed stable at 4 degrees C, at room temperature (20 degrees C) and at 37 degrees C for at least 2 h without remarkable change in the infectious ability in cells, but were converted to be non-infectious after 90-, 60- and 30-min exposure at 56 degrees C, at 67 degrees C and at 75 degrees C, respectively.

https://europepmc.org/article/med/14631830

I have just put the post and the newspaper in the oven for 30 minutes. Apparently Coronaviruses are rendered non-infectious by 30 minutes at 75C, so I am giving it 30 minutes at 90C to be safe.

Provided you don't have a gas oven and you keep your post/newspaper well away from any heating element, this might seem like an easy and worthwhile precaution.

The survival abilities on the surfaces of eight different materials and in water were quite comparable, revealing reduction of infectivity after 72 to 96 h exposure. Viruses stayed stable at 4 degrees C, at room temperature (20 degrees C) and at 37 degrees C for at least 2 h without remarkable change in the infectious ability in cells, but were converted to be non-infectious after 90-, 60- and 30-min exposure at 56 degrees C, at 67 degrees C and at 75 degrees C, respectively.

Really? By that same notion should we be doing that with all the shopping we are bringing into the house?

Not at all mate, not having a go and obviously hope that the end figures are nowhere near some earlier predictions pointed to. We need all the good news we can get right now. I'm just basing my doubts on what happened here and how the death toll is still growing on a day to day basis.

I doubt it too, to be honest.

Awful situation in Spain.

Belgium and the Netherlands were said to be struggling yesterday and it looks like they are.

Imperial College is now saying deaths estimated to be 5,700.

That’s a significant reduction from the 200,000 figure.

I believe the 200k/250k was the figure they said was possible if the government had continued with their initial strategy. By getting the government to change its initial strategy to the model we are now following they said the figures could be limited to 20k deaths max instead. This 5.7k figure you refer to, [which i havnt seen], seems within this, albeit @ lower end of the 20k max they forecast.

Whether any numbers can be believed with this fast moving situation is difficult to comprehend

I looked this up a couple of weeks ago when posters were adamant that Covid19 was like the flu.
On average over the last ten years there have been about 8,000 deaths per annum from flu in the UK
Since 2014/15 the average was estimated at 17000 deaths from flu. The range was between 1692 in 2018/19 and 28330 in 2014/15. In fact, if you take out the very small 2018/19 number the average for the remaining four years is 21000. Over the winter period of December to March, when the peak influenza season is reached, that’s 4 months of about 175 people, per day succumbing to flu and the NHS being under huge ‘winter’ pressures.

Provided you don't have a gas oven and you keep your post/newspaper well away from any heating element, this might seem like an easy and worthwhile precaution. 75C isn't going to set fire to anything.

You could just open your post and then wash your hands, of course.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.