Liverpool thread 2019/20

Status
Not open for further replies.
1. Not really. I don’t remember the tube station where my Dad parked even. I was pissed the night before.

2. It wasn’t KloppitE’s first final. He was in Rome the year before watching missiles being pelted at a Liverpool coach as it crossed the Tibor river.

Well, as it was his second European Cup final then, I’m pretty sure that a nipper will have been even more excited and desperate to get out there when he recalled last years trip. I’m not surprised he remembers loads, these are landmark moments in your youth when you look back.
I’m not going to labour the second point but I will say this; if you get drawn against Roma in Europe, make sure you get to the away tie, head for that bridge and let me know how you get on. I promise you one thing, you won’t forget a second of that. Any fan guide to the game will tell you that you go there at your peril.

There isn’t a single part of that article that even invites the inference. Absolutely fucking shameful.
The funny thing is, I was working in Merseyside for most of the 80s, and at the time the Liverpool Echo (which used to be a good newspaper) slaughtered the Liverpool fans for bringing shame to the city and that was the prevailng view in the city at the time. That was also the prevailing view of most Liverpool fans I spoke to. One of them never attended an away match in Europe again because he was disgusted and ashamed.
It is worth remembering that the vast majority of Liverpool fans in their main section didn't get involved. It was a hard core hooligan element of around 1500 fans who behaved like animals.
What bothers me is the way the modern media has revised the historical record. Modern day Liverpool fans simply have no idea what it was like in the 70s and 80s.

A couple of months before the League Cup Final (wasn’t afforded the replay at Maine Road) to be precise but that doesn’t detract from his pertinent point.
And I get that. Like I said earlier, I remember the t-shirt I was bought before the 89 derby as clear as day and the conversation I had with my next door neighbour at our newsagents as I bought a MEN pink final that evening. I remember whereabouts I was stood on the Kippax. I remember City and United fans chanting Celtic/Rangers at each other. I remember being stood at the turnstile outside and seeing the first United shirts of the day and suddenly realising that I was at my first derby.

My point is more that different accents on a boat from Hull or Dover wouldn’t seem so unusual if you’ve travelled around Europe watching your team. It just feels, like it did with the two board members of Liverpool FC’s recollections, that mentions of non-scousers over the course of the day before and the day of the game are just dropped in very innocuously but very deliberately.

I’m not going to labour the second point but I will say this; if you get drawn against Roma in Europe, make sure you get to the away tie, head for that bridge and let me know how you get on. I promise you one thing, you won’t forget a second of that. Any fan guide to the game will tell you that you go there at your peril.

Italy per se bar Milan who don’t tend to have any political tendencies.

Gorgeous country ..... when there’s no togger on.

From someone who absolutely lives for European trips, I swerved Naples this year. Twice in that absolute cesspit of inhumanity is more than enough for me. Couldn’t pay me to go back there. Absolutely NO fun at all the whole trip watching yer back in that moody ____hole.

There comes a point where your own personal safety outweighs everything and Naples and Turin are that point.

Well, as it was his second European Cup final then, I’m pretty sure that a nipper will have been even more excited and desperate to get out there when he recalled last years trip. I’m not surprised he remembers loads, these are landmark moments in your youth when you look back.
If I do, I’ll probably have my own lads with me. One of them is 13. I can’t imagine I’ll be stood watching rocks being hurled at City coaches as they cross the Tibor river just as much as I couldn’t imagine sneaking him through a hole in a stadium wall to get in. That might be just me though.

Italy per se bar Milan who don’t tend to have any political tendencies.

Gorgeous country ..... when there’s no togger on.

From someone who absolutely lives for European trips, I swerved Naples this year. Twice in that absolute cesspit of inhumanity is more than enough for me. Couldn’t pay me to go back there. Absolutely NO fun at all the whole trip watching yer back in that moody ____hole.

There comes a point where your own personal safety outweighs everything and Naples and Turin are that point.

Inter away was a great trip, party from start to finish. I’ve not been to Naples but I’m not really one for the front line and be arsed with, like you say, looking over your shoulder constantly. As an example Tottenham away way back then was on your guard time after the game, but this is another level. Mind, I was saying the other day that our first return Napoli home game had all kinds of madness outside, loads from both sides bang at it.

If I do, I’ll probably have my own lads with me. One of them is 13. I can’t imagine I’ll be stood watching rocks being hurled at City coaches as they cross the Tibor river just as much as I couldn’t imagine sneaking him through a hole in a stadium wall to get in. That might be just me though.

Well, I wouldn’t take my teenage kids these days to a game like that. Might be wrong, but I don’t even reckon Kloppite’s dad would either for that matter. There are some fixtures abroad where a certain type of fan will be fine and a certain type will be picked off for doing absolutely nothing. Adults yes, kids no for me. I assume you’re from Manchester and you know United fans. Ask any of them who went to Rome what it’s like in and around that bridge before and after the game. That game and place aren’t for the young ones.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.