Eric Garcia to Barcelona

Status
Not open for further replies.
Of course in hindsight but if that is how you frame things, everything is easier in hindsight

For Eric to desire to return, it'd have little to do with Setien, Valverde or Xavi - he's Catalan and he was brought up through the academy. Players like this, they are drawn to returning like a moth to a flame

Puyol was 21 when he was promoted and played the bulk of that season after being moved from RB to central defense. Eric is the best central defender the club has developed since Pique & Puyol, for me I would take him over anyone on the market to lead the future - trust in the cantera, always

I personally am not overly concerned if he goes back to Barca
He looks a little short and has no real change of pace
He is certainly a very good player I don’t know if he can go on to replicate the success of someone like Pique
Time for Barca to either put up (cash or player swap ) or shut up
If Eric wants to go home good luck that’s understandable
I am more concerned about the loss of Sané and Sancho
That’s however only my opinion

There are significant differences between the 3 clubs & acadamies you listed. For the majority of youth players, the pinnacle is the first team if you begin as a child - even more so if you are local to the club (esp. Catalan). In the case of Ajax, currently the 1st team is not considered the pinnacle in European football so the aspiration for a player is often to eventually depart as has often been the case with Ajax players. In the case of City, I can only think of Foden as an example - they are not Barca in this regard despite the best efforts of former Barca players/execs/coaches to change the culture of the club.

Barca, on the other hand, is typically the pinnacle for a youth player and a departure ahead of the 1st team is typically down to a few scenarios.

1) Player simply is not at an appropriate level for the 1st team of Barca
2) Player is appropriate for 1st team but due to squad depth will never play or find it difficult to find minutes. Often leads to loans or transfers with buybacks
3) Player is not a priority due to discipline (Not common) or attitude/professionalism (Latter was levied at Deulofeu, for example)
4) Player or cantera players in general not a priority over market transfers, aka galacticos - this happened with Gaspart and worse for many cules under Bartomeu & Rosell now (Only Sergi Roberto had been promoted & remained w/ the first team in a decade)

Otherwise, cantera players desire to succeed here. Eric's departure underscored Points #2 & #4 with the latter being a larger problem over the last decade - the erosion of La Masia and failure to integrate youth players from the Cruyff model of development (With it's Ajax roots)

Look at Puig, he refused to be loaned out or transferred - he insisted on getting a 1st team shot and was content to even stay with the B team until he got the chance. Alena went through similar and was effectively forced out as was Carles Perez and Munir before him.

You are right that there needs to be a correction at Barca but the huge problem at Barca currently has been Rosell & Bartomeu and their dismantling of the cantera as a fundamental bedrock of the club & it's playing philosophy. Even at youth level, the club still does excellent until that 17-19 year age group of Barca B - primarily because they abandoned their playing style & instead recruited from outside the club rather than trust the kids nevermind promote them. Ergo, many sought to leave rather than be treated like cattle

Broad generalization without understanding the nuances of the cases of Cesc & Pique which occurred during the transition to Laporta after Gaspart - there was a lack of confidence or trust in La Masia and those talented players sought opportunities elsewhere as a result. Pep had just left as a player and even Xavi considered leaving due to that abandoning of Cruyff principles. When the club course corrected under Laporta & eventually Pep, they returned and after that no other cantera player left the club who was prioritized - until Rosell was elected in 2010. Thiago was almost immediately sold a year later. Their model was to use the cantera players as commodities and it underscut that aspiration to thrive at the club

Only hype had anything to do with Gai Assulin, he was never in the bracket of breakout stars - he was a one trick pony with pace. Bojan had a great start but when he refused Pep's advice to develop at Barca B he was marginalized - look where his career went. Personally, I liked Bojan but he had a confidence/mental issue - it was easier for him when he was a substitute and not seen as a protagonist. Again, apples & oranges comparisons

I'd say a player like Lee Seung Woo is a better example of what you describe, a phenom until he hit 15/16 and his progress slowed incredibly until he was sold. I was convinced he would be a star like Kubo (Before the FIFA ban). Some are not aware but like the 2002 golden generation of La Masia talents, Ansu, Kubo & Garcia formed a more recent golden generation that was believed to be nearly as great. Only luck allowed Ansu to get his chance since Suarez was recovering from injury in summer along with Dembele. Kubo was rebuffed on his desire to return and ended up at RM while Garcia headed for the exit 3 years ago - again due to lack of faith in sporting direction of the board

Cesc, Pique & Messi were part of the 2002 La Masia generation that were the most dominating youth side the club has known. Even before Cesc was poached by Arsenal, he was the voted the best player (Golden Ball & Golden Shoe) at the FIFA U17 championships. Let's not try to revise history, him & Pique were destined for great futures. They simply lacked confidence in the direction of the board, not unlike today where many super talented players have left (Olmo, Adama, Deulofeu, Munir, Thiago, Abel, Grimaldo, Cucurella, Perez). Hopefully under a new board, the club will course correct as I see the cantera as fundamental to the success of the club

As for Garcia's immediate future, more links to the club prioritizing him - whether that is true or a smokescreen to appease the base difficult to say still

The end game for academy players is the exact same for every club. It’s to make the first team squad and have the best possible career. Barca are not special in this regard. They just have a better track record than a lot of other clubs.

Make no mistakes, if Barca went on a sustained run of finishing mid-table and paying moderate wages, all of their top talents would be off in a shot regardless of whether they came through the academy.

Also, the idea of treating youth players like cattle is what every side does. Occasionally there might be a special group of players who progress at the same time. Like United in the 90s or Barca in the 2000s. These are anomalies though.

There seems to be this romanticised view of the world when it comes to the historic European teams that they are somehow unique/different to all other sides.

How many world class players have United brought through their academy since the likes of Scholes and Giggs etc? Or have many have Barca since the likes of Busquets?

I also like the way you assume that winning the Golden Boy award automatically means players will become world class. Anderson, Alexander Pato and Renato Sanchez all won that award as well. None of them are or became anywhere near world class. Or the way I’m comparing apples and oranges when I use a player who doesn’t fit your narrative.

The fact remains that it Arsenal who developed Fabregas into a world class player. Barca turned him into a top class prospect, but it was his years at Arsenal that cemented his role. Making it out like Fabregas would have done the same no matter where he went is a lazy argument. Just as lazy as those who say anyone could have replicated Pep’s success with the Barca squad he had.

A players ability is something that is nurtured. Their potential is something that is unlocked. IMO, it was Arsenal who unlocked Fabregas’s potential not Barca.

Of course in hindsight but if that is how you frame things, everything is easier in hindsight

For Eric to desire to return, it'd have little to do with Setien, Valverde or Xavi - he's Catalan and he was brought up through the academy. Players like this, they are drawn to returning like a moth to a flame

Puyol was 21 when he was promoted and played the bulk of that season after being moved from RB to central defense. Eric is the best central defender the club has developed since Pique & Puyol, for me I would take him over anyone on the market to lead the future - trust in the cantera, always

Of course everything is easier with hindsight. With hindsight, Pique made the right decision for obvious reasons. With a bit of foresight, it's pretty clear Eric isn't ready to be what will be expected of him.

And I think you romanticise a bit too much about your own club within the industry.

Last edited:
The end game for academy players is the exact same for every club. It’s to make the first team squad and have the best possible career. Barca are not special in this regard. They just have a better track record than a lot of other clubs.

End game is similar but only one club has a path with the first team being the ideal option over all others. Couldn't disagree more, Barcelona is indeed special in that regard. Athletic are similar but even there Basque players do leave despite being prioritized - at Barca, that does not happen. I know of no other club that can claim similar

Make no mistakes, if Barca went on a sustained run of finishing mid-table and paying moderate wages, all of their top talents would be off in a shot regardless of whether they came through the academy.

Sustained run of finishing mid table? Sounds like you are making a helluva mistake, not going to happen - even with this garbage board

Also, the idea of treating youth players like cattle is what every side does. Occasionally there might be a special group of players who progress at the same time. Like United in the 90s or Barca in the 2000s. These are anomalies though.

It is not, however, how things historically have been done at Barca

There seems to be this romanticised view of the world when it comes to the historic European teams that they are somehow unique/different to all other sides.

How many world class players have United brought through their academy since the likes of Scholes and Giggs etc? Or have many have Barca since the likes of Busquets?

Development doesn't stop at promotion. Grimaldo is a world class fullback and had he been promoted to the 1st team as the youngest ever (Even ahead of Messi) no telling what sort of player he'd be now. Same for Adama, same for Olmo, Deulofeu, Munir and the list goes on. Generational talents like Messi, Xavi & Iniesta do not come along regularly but these talents are developed through a sustained sporting plan - a plan that has been abandoned over 10 years that includes the FIFA ban with talents who were forced to be released (Kubo, Kais Ruiz, Theo Chendri, Bobby Adekanye).

Do a simple google search for most productive youth academies in world football and consistently Barcelona is #1

I also like the way you assume that winning the Golden Boy award automatically means players will become world class. Anderson, Alexander Pato and Renato Sanchez all won that award as well. None of them are or became anywhere near world class. Or the way I’m comparing apples and oranges when I use a player who doesn’t fit your narrative.

I like how you only selected one criteria in Golden Boy, ignoring the Golden Shoe or being a part of the most dominant class of youth footballers in Spain along with Messi & Pique. I am quite certain Pato et al never had that on their resume

The fact remains that it Arsenal who developed Fabregas into a world class player. Barca turned him into a top class prospect, but it was his years at Arsenal that cemented his role. Making it out like Fabregas would have done the same no matter where he went is a lazy argument. Just as lazy as those who say anyone could have replicated Pep’s success with the Barca squad he had.

Not a fact, merely conjecture. The fact is he went from La Masia into the starting lineup of Arsenal in a month - that's a helluva development system or you have a vivid imagination as to what constitutes development

Of course everything is easier with hindsight. With hindsight, Pique made the right decision for obvious reasons. With a bit of foresight, it's pretty clear Eric isn't ready to be what will be expected of him.

And I think you romanticise a bit too much about your own club within the industry.

I romanticise this aspect of my club no less than your coach does

Barca have no intention of making him a starter now or in the immediate couple of years. Here he could be.

Theyre doing the same Real did with Diaz. They see a promising spanish player not yet close to his full potential, coming to the end of a contract and they’re hoping to stock-pile him.

They’re hoping to benefit later by buying young and cheap(er) than risk him becoming a top quality player elsewhere.

He’ll be similar if not lower in the CB pecking order at Barca than City, if not loaned out. Why do that when you’ve already somewhat established yourself with a top club and top manager.

The only added complication is he came from Barca in the first place. If he wants to go back from a personal perspective then fine, same as Sane, have that conversation and make it happen (for a fair fee!).

But not a sensible footballing decision for me. He can ask to go back in 2/3 years having started his career under the best manager around and set up for a quality career.

End game is similar but only one club has a path with the first team being the ideal option over all others. Couldn't disagree more, Barcelona is indeed special in that regard. Athletic are similar but even there Basque players do leave despite being prioritized - at Barca, that does not happen. I know of no other club that can claim similar

Sustained run of finishing mid table? Sounds like you are making a helluva mistake, not going to happen - even with this garbage board

It is not, however, how things historically have been done at Barca

Development doesn't stop at promotion. Grimaldo is a world class fullback and had he been promoted to the 1st team as the youngest ever (Even ahead of Messi) no telling what sort of player he'd be now. Same for Adama, same for Olmo, Deulofeu, Munir and the list goes on. Generational talents like Messi, Xavi & Iniesta do not come along regularly but these talents are developed through a sustained sporting plan - a plan that has been abandoned over 10 years that includes the FIFA ban with talents who were forced to be released (Kubo, Kais Ruiz, Theo Chendri, Bobby Adekanye).

Do a simple google search for most productive youth academies in world football and consistently Barcelona is #1

I like how you only selected one criteria in Golden Boy, ignoring the Golden Shoe or being a part of the most dominant class of youth footballers in Spain along with Messi & Pique. I am quite certain Pato et al never had that on their resume

Not a fact, merely conjecture. The fact is he went from La Masia into the starting lineup of Arsenal in a month - that's a helluva development system or you have a vivid imagination as to what constitutes development

Are you actually arguing that Barca is the only club who has youth players who want to play for the first team?

I’m pretty sure it was De Jong and De Lijt’s dream to play for Ajax. They did that, won trophies and then moved on for more money. If the Dutch league had the money and quality of La Liga then they might have stayed at Ajax.

I also never said that Barca will drop to mid-table mediocrity. There seems to be a theme from United at their peak and Barca that their players were/are more loyal than any other players. It’s as if Barca and United were not offering insane amounts of money and challenging for trophies. The two things players desire above all else.

IF Barca were similar to Athletic in the league position and finances then there is no way your best players would have stayed. That’s a fact.

Just like if Athletic had the finance and quality of Barca, they wouldn’t have lost their key players.

You’re mistaking money and competitiveness for blind loyalty.

Again, you’re missing my argument. I’m agreeing with you that Barca has one of the best academies in the world. You’re the one unable to accept that any other club has played a key role in the development of a former Barca youth player.

I romanticise this aspect of my club no less than your coach does

I don't know why you're being a smart arse, I'm just saying that it's not as if every player who grew up in Barcelona sits staring out of rainy windows, fantasising about a return as a single tear rolls down their cheek.

Garcia might be one of those but I find it nauseating enough when my fellow blues airbrush my club so I'm obviously going to call fans of other clubs out for doing the same thing on our forum.

At least wait until he gives an interview or makes a move before acting like you know what's in his head. It's a business, not adult fiction.

Barca Shmarca.

Garcia is waiting for Pep to sign an extension, and he will announce his shortly.

Pep doesn't want distractions ahead of CL, hopefully soon after that, both will commit.

When Barcelona eventually come calling, he will probably want to go, but for an appropriate fee, and i doubt with appreciate behaviour in their part (likely to be an embarrassing circus they usually have to pull to get their players back, but they do get them back).

In the meantime, our lad, our player, our option.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.