Next Captain

When the chips are down and the other players are looking to the captain for leadership, I would prefer they weren't looking to the guy who has been sat on the bench for the past 4 games.

This is a bit silly. Why would they look to the bench for leadership when De Bruyne will be on the pitch next to them and wearing the armband anyway?

Terrible decision. Give it someone who is going to play every week.
Vinny didn't but led the team and looked after the players and gave the pre match and post match speech , he also represented the club very well how anyone can say dinho is not up to it and not deserves it I don't know ,the team chose and we respect our oldies ,he is a leader, a warrior

This is a bit silly. Why would they look to the bench for leadership when De Bruyne will be on the pitch next to them and wearing the armband anyway?

If KDB is going to find himself wearing the armband most weeks, he should have been made captain. I don't think the captains armband should be given as a token gesture. In my opinion, you identify who you believe to be your main players and then pick the captain from them. I cant think of too many successful sides in recent times where their captain has been someone you wouldn't consider a regular starter when fit. Its clear that Pep doesn't value the captaincy in the same way and when you have managed a dominant Barca and Bayern, I guess it doesn't matter too much but unfortunately we are not a dominant force at the moment. If picking the appropriate captain was to give us just 1% extra, it would be worth it.

Vinny didn't but led the team and looked after the players and gave the pre match and post match speech , he also represented the club very well how anyone can say dinho is not up to it and not deserves it I don't know ,the team chose and we respect our oldies ,he is a leader, a warrior

That was completely different. Vinny didnt play every week because of injuries and you cant legislate for that. Nobody was in any doubts though that a fit Vinny played every single week and was most definitely the correct pick for captain.

If KDB is going to find himself wearing the armband most weeks, he should have been made captain. I don't think the captains armband should be given as a token gesture. In my opinion, you identify who you believe to be your main players and then pick the captain from them. I cant think of too many successful sides in recent times where their captain has been someone you wouldn't consider a regular starter when fit. Its clear that Pep doesn't value the captaincy in the same way and when you have managed a dominant Barca and Bayern, I guess it doesn't matter too much but unfortunately we are not a dominant force at the moment. If picking the appropriate captain was to give us just 1% extra, it would be worth it.

Kompany played in less than half of our league games in each of his last four seasons for us. Do you think we should have made someone else captain at some point?

Edit:
just seen your response to Karen.

I just don't see it as a problem. The armband is almost entirely symbolic and as such I'm not seeing an issue with giving it to a guy who has worn it plenty of times already and is a symbol of hard work and professionalism. The guy is a leader.

Kev will continue to do his thing and if he's a real leader then the armband won't make a difference, especially when he's going to be wearing it a lot of the time anyway.

Last edited:
I'm not "assuming" it, if we don't then we're not winning much this season, but it could be that Fernandhino is going to playing regularly if we're not, and people can't assume he won't be on the pitch much.
You started your sentence with “assuming we don’t buy...”

So your comment, hypothetical or not, is based on that assumption. Which in my opinion is pretty wild.

You started your sentence with “assuming we don’t buy...”

So your comment, hypothetical or not, is based on that assumption. Which in my opinion is pretty wild.
Ok mr nitpicker, probably the wrong word to use, but you know what I meant, and it's quite possible he's been picked because Pep now thinks he will be on the pitch a lot. I personally hope not, as I'm sure you also do, much as he has been a fantastic player for us, he's not Vinny.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.