First game....

The Manchester of my childhood was very much one of murky blacks and whites and greys. Arriving at the top of the Kippax for the first time for a night game vs Liverpool in the rain under floodlights was literally breathtaking. Whilst it wasn't my first City game - it was the one where they got me for life.

images.jpegkippax-background.jpg0_kippax-flag.jpgunnamed.jpg

1970's City fans ......

c4ed982c2817fc99973097dd0164c061.jpg

Last edited:
This is 100% one of those threads that Ric passes on to 3rd party data miners so he can get that sweet targeted advertising revenue. No wonder the admins hate adblock!

What was it like on the kippax back in the day? I wish I could travel back in time and experience city matches in the 60/70/80’s

Spurs away at WHL. Mum and Dad took me. Apparently I had my B/W scarf and a pair of boots in my pockets just in case they needed a sub. That's what my Mum said anyway. First home game was Wolves. I can't remember which year . Mum saved her persil tokens to buy three railway tickets to get up there. Thanks Mum, I will never forget that.

What was it like on the kippax back in the day? I wish I could travel back in time and experience city matches in the 60/70/80’s

Where you go to Moss Side now it's hard to imagine that a football ground was ever there ... all that stands there now on the site of the old ground is a housing estate that looks completely out of place with its surroundings of old streets, terraced houses, and alleyways ..... it's difficult to imagine that the football ground that once stood there held the british crowd record of 84,569 supporters, set in 1934.

The KIppax itself, in its heyday, provided a million memories for thousands of fans that once stood there ....and certainly for the bigger games could be a sheer cauldron of noise, a packed terrace .... it was a huge stand , and a major part of a ground that had been there for 80 years ... although in its later years it was much transformed as seats were installed.

Last edited:
The Kippax for me was like a sense of being home with a family of strangers save a few relatives or mates who came to the games with me. There was a sense of belonging to something special. There different places to stand that each gave their own unique atmosphere. You could be next to the away fans engaging in tribal warfare or further away and cheering on the Blues in relative safety from the piss, spit and bovril chuckers. I'm pretty sure in 74 the fans were mixed because I definitely recall some Derby fans not far away from me. The roar of Kippax was something to behold, the 2 most striking events in my recollections were the LC Semi v Dippers and the Kings return on Boxing day. It was just one amazing place to be and grow up as a kid and a teen. I'm just sorry my own kids missed out on experiencing this opportunity.

Last edited:

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.