Spurs (A) - Post-Match Thread

I thought Jesus looked the most dangerous and most "on it" of all our attacking players yesterday to be fair...
I thought that yesterday and to be honest never sounded him out...but watching the replay now and watching the players rather than the ball and it is evident there are problems around the pitch - jesus included in that at times

Just another passage of play after Foden comes on as an example - phil pressing like hell forces spurs back and they punt it long, Walker nods it down and it gets picked up by kane in the middle of the pitch, rodri again plodding along and doesnt even break sweat to chase him and it forces Dias step forward to make the foul

10 goals so far this season is just awful

Football shouldn't eve be being played, never mind a consideration.

This season means fuck all and nothing to the vast majority and it isn't an excuse because we are not sitting top and pretty, its just a fact.

Players and staff are humans too and my guess is most have their minds elsewhere as well.

Of course, but we're not talking about standalone performances, this is so consistent that it's become our standard, not an anomaly.

I also think there's something to be said for those who will repeatedly fail to see the major issues because they're constantly fixated on the silver lining.

But I agree with everything you've said there. Incredibly frustrating.

We can't escape the fact that it has become a very habit and it's proving to be a hard one to break.

If one looks for silver linings, we are close to having a full squad available. I think Dias, Ake and Torres all offer promise. Despite yesterday's errors, we have what looks like what it could become a strong back four.

I like Rodri and Gundog but I fear that we have to be ruthless and bring in another DM.

Football shouldn't eve be being played, never mind a consideration.

This season means fuck all and nothing to the vast majority and it isn't an excuse because we are not sitting top and pretty, its just a fact.

Players and staff are humans too and my guess is most have their minds elsewhere as well.
The reasoning cant be ruled out,except to say,if Covid is the reason......it doesn't seem to be affecting other teams to the same degree.

We can't escape the fact that it has become a very habit and it's proving to be a hard one to break.

If one looks for silver linings, we are close to having a full squad available. I think Dias, Ake and Torres all offer promise. Despite yesterday's errors, we have what looks like what it could become a strong back four.

I like Rodri and Gundog but I fear that we have to be ruthless and bring in another DM.

I really don't think it's a personnel issue, personally.

Having bought Dias and having a fit Laporte should have made the world of difference but they're still being played in a system which will expose literally any human being who has ever played the sport.

I don't think it will change much when everyone is fit. Not as drastically as needed and not for any considerable run of games. It's been over a year now.

Even though it is happening time & again, and I keep seeing it with my own eyes, and even after all the discussions on here about Pep's tactics etc ... I'm still not really sure how we keep losing (or drawing) games like this:

Spurs - City yesterday:

Possession: 34-66%
Shots: 4-22
Corners: 0-10
Goals: 2-0

Spurs go top of the league with an "impressive display" and pundits say they could be Champions this year if they keep playing like that.

I really don't think it's a personnel issue, personally.

Having bought Dias and having a fit Laporte should have made the world of difference but they're still being played in a system which will expose literally any human being who has ever played the sport.

I don't think it will change much when everyone is fit. Not as drastically as needed and not for any considerable run of games. It's been over a year now.

For the system to work, we have to be bullying teams in attack & robbing the ball off them constantly.

We are pedestrian in attack & not very quick to press or 2nd ball.

So it's pass pass pass pass pass pass pass wrong pass, panic.

Sound analysis. You mention the word ‘early’, and I think that is important. I’d almost rather we actually played with a consciously more defensive mindset for the first quarter of games, because to concede so early doesn’t give the players the chance to settle in to the game, and immediately increases the stress levels in the players (because of how rarely historically we have comeback from that scenario). That stress factor then feeds into our shooting and finishing for the rest of the game.

Agree on Ederson. He probably does stay too far out, simply because that is his default position for 80/90% of the time in matches so it’s habitual I guess. I also agree re the disallowed goal- it certainly wasn’t a clear and obvious handball to my eyes!

I'd have had our defence drop a little deeper for that free kick that led to the first goal and I think a bit more conservatism wouldn't go amiss at the moment but really best laid plans go out of the window when players make a series of consecutive individual errors.

On Eddie, he actually came out when he didn't need to. His staring position wasn't the issue. I'm at the point where I am wondering if he needs to be rested and Steffen given a chance. Eddie is without doubt the best keeper I've seen with the ball at his feet but too often we concede goals that I think could have been saved; although there are not too many that fall into the should.

We might have had 22 shots but how many of those had a clear sight of goal? Trying to squeeze the ball past 4 defenders and a keeper is never an easy task. Even when we did that our own players got in the way.

Spurs might only have had 4 shots but most were decent chances where they only had to get past Ederson

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.