Spurs (A) - Post-Match Thread

I don't think the overall performance was as bad as people are making out. We dominated Spurs and had our attacking players been something other than the inconsistent clowns they've been for too long now, we'd have won comfortably.

Too much analysis of what feels like a straight forward problem for me. The 'attack' has gotten complacent since the 18/19 season. Far too many players playing within themselves or playing for themselves. Even KDB's decision making, and cutting edge has been massively blunted.

I said it back then, and it's worth repeating now. Those players (who won 198 points over two seasons) needed a BIG shake up after 18/19. They need fresh blood, competition, and new solutions. Torres was brought in a year too late. I suspect that there'll be a rebuild akin to 2017 next summer.

This season is now officially in the 'transitional' basket.
Agreed - played well in the first half. Could have been 1-3 at H/T.

There is a big issue that is causing De Bruyne to try and do too much. David worked as his foil, as well as a link up for the whole of the left side and as much as we wished that would be taken over by Bernardo and Foden, it's not going to happen over night, if it will at all.

The bigger problem is control of transitions, awareness from a single person to control the traffic. That position is owned, in all of Pep's teams, by the 6, that one person needs to be VERY disciplined and aware of everything. I think Rodri is quite disciplined and his awareness is quite decent, but that small drop in level between Fernandinho and Rodri in the grand scale of the team, is huge. Gundogan managed to understand that position better, you can see when he plays there he not only knows where to move, but where to get others to move as well, and on the transitions the other way he knows where he and others need to be. The way we are losing games is mostly half spaces in midfield that were plugged up before, and then that allows time to get in behind which Pep knows is our biggest weakness.

Blaming Ederson for his positioning there is wrong IMO. That's the job he's asked to play and its saved us a lot, he needs to protect not only his goal, but the huge space between him and the whole back 4.
A football match is decided in the boxes, at the moment we are shite in both.

The end of an incredible player cycle is over and its not as simple as just transitioning immediately into a new gen, and expecting Pep to work miracles.

I watched the first goal we conceded over and over again and my blood pressure was just going up with every new rewatch. It was bad beyond believable, every single player involved made a wrong decision culminating in Edie rushing out when he should cut the angle by stepping out just 2-3 yard. Ndombele, Son and Kane took out 8 of players with a single move and a pass. Take any third division side and stick them into that scenario and they do not concede.
The second goal again, defending 3 against 2 on the back line and KdB and Rodri chasing Kane and Lo Celso and not being able to do anything. I mean, Rodri was not able to catch Kane running with the ball. Scary shit this!

Don’t want to be negative but you guys saying the title is not over yet are hoping for too much. Yes we can be 5 points behind if we win our game in hand but we need to win like 6 games in a row now and hope others in front drop points. Remember last season where we could not win like 3 or 4 in a row till post lockdown, we are even more inconsistent. We are actually below Arsenal and United, just feel it is better to lower expectations to top 4 then if we streak up games till Christmas and near the top we can dream of winning which is a tough ask.

There is a big issue that is causing De Bruyne to try and do too much. David worked as his foil, as well as a link up for the whole of the left side and as much as we wished that would be taken over by Bernardo and Foden, it's not going to happen over night, if it will at all.

The bigger problem is control of transitions, awareness from a single person to control the traffic. That position is owned, in all of Pep's teams, by the 6, that one person needs to be VERY disciplined and aware of everything. I think Rodri is quite disciplined and his awareness is quite decent, but that small drop in level between Fernandinho and Rodri in the grand scale of the team, is huge. Gundogan managed to understand that position better, you can see when he plays there he not only knows where to move, but where to get others to move as well, and on the transitions the other way he knows where he and others need to be. The way we are losing games is mostly half spaces in midfield that were plugged up before, and then that allows time to get in behind which Pep knows is our biggest weakness.

Blaming Ederson for his positioning there is wrong IMO. That's the job he's asked to play and its saved us a lot, he needs to protect not only his goal, but the huge space between him and the whole back 4.
Lot of sense in that post. The problem I had on Sunday with Eddie was his positioning was 'no mans land'. Not close enough to put pressure on the ball or cut down angles but too far out to make the forward pick the target for his shot more carefully. He needs to work on his 1v1 as well. Not making himself big enough. Joe was inferior in his distribution and was weak to his left but a key strength was 1v1 and positional play. Don't get me wrong I'm a big fan of Eddie and he is still young enough to improve. I hope we have the right coach for him though.

8 points behind with a game in hand. 30 games still to play & you say the title is over , wow. I will guarantee we will be top two by the new year & challenging.
Oh you guarantee it, well that's ok then....

You mustn't have been watching us for the past year, we havent a snowball in hell's chance of challenging for the title

Spurs fans are insufferable.

All giving it the Big i am on Twitter.

Not much between them, and the Candle Waivers.

Winning the game,fair enough i get it,they are buzzing.

But fuck me it wasn't a Maureen masterclass like they are making out.

Maureen plays one way....Pep plays one way,that is all.

Making out they set up to concede possession.and hit us on the counter.When they play like that every fucking week duhhhhhh.

Spurs fans are insufferable.

All giving it the Big i am on Twitter.

Not much between them, and the Candle Waivers.

Winning the game,fair enough i get it,they are buzzing.

But fuck me it wasn't a Maureen masterclass like they are making out.

Maureen plays one way....Pep plays one way,that is all.

Making out they set up to concede possession.and hit us on the counter.When they play like that every fucking week duhhhhhh.
Says allot if they are happy to watch a their team park the bus against opposition when they are at home.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.