Spurs (A) - Post-Match Thread

As far as I can see, we have as good a squad as anyone and if we don't then there are only 2 people responsible, who bought them all.
Laporte and Dias would walk into the Spurs and Chelsea teams. KdB, Foden and Torres are great players, not to mention Raheem and GJ.

If Pep is demanding a rebuild then all the accusations of cheque book manager are true. He should be getting much more out of these players.

First time in the Pep era I sat and watched Spurs v City didn't expect to concede a goal during at any moment. It was comfortable beyond belief bar a 10 minute spell in the first half, a Jose V Pep game we have all seen multiple times. I'd love to know the stats on first goal the winner, I'd imagine the team that scores first has won more than 90% of the games.

I don't think City are out of it by a long shot, 78-80 points probably wins it and City are among 4 teams capable of getting that. Liverpool are big favorites but Spurs, Chelsea and City all have a decent shout. Injuires and Covid will be key, the fact Mane and Salah have had Covid already is why I make them favorites.

It's not the strikers, it's the supply.

Rodri wasn't even the issue yesterday, he was one of the better performers, but you know you are in trouble when Harry Kane is leaving you for dead and he effectively gave up the chase after him.

The goals conceded yesterday were very reminiscent of the ones against Lyon last season, people not switched on, balls over the top and into the channels, exposing Ederson stood in no-man's land.

Until we get someone who can do the hard yards and allow De Bruyne to make more considered bursts of energy, where it serves us best, in the attacking number ten space, we are still going to be banging our heads against a brick wall.

Teams have always sat in against us, nothing has changed on that score.

The only difference is that opponents are asking their forwards not to press Eddie or our backline, essentially telling them to drop into midfield and create a further block in front of our own midfield, the supply is becoming more high percentage risk passing when aimed between the lines.

Those opposing forwards are happy to drop deeper because they now have the ambition and knowledge that there will be fifty yards of space to run in behind us because we are all on top of each other.

They wouldn't do that previously when Fern was able to physically defend the transition.

Teams want us passing out wide, especially to Mahrez, who is an absolute liability every time he plays.

A shirker, someone who wants the personal glory, but doesn't have the heart or the bollocks to earn it for either himself or his team-mates, floating aimless lofted passes to the non-existent back post.

Teams are evolving and modifying because they know we have some players who are soft touches or don't want to fight for the right to play.

That's on Pep, he is a person who refuses to evolve or modify his demands to play a certain way, so buys players previously suited to a style of play which has been not so much found out, but isn't the all-conquering conundrum it once was.

I think problems that started to emerge up a couple of seasons ago like our lack of width with inverted wingers which were masked by other performers. Now combined with Bernardo’s loss of form with the loss of Fernandinho and Silva plus now Aguero coming towards the end have created a perfect storm.

If we start playing Sterling or Ferran right and Foden or Jesus left we will improve enormously. Mahrez should be shipped out, he’s lazy, selfish and brainless. I’ve never seen someone so good at running the ball out of play so consistently. He is a cancer on this team. He doesn’t press, doesn’t make the right runs or decisions and loses the ball regularly. On the left we’re playing an inverted winger and an inverted full back, there’s no natural width there.

We need to decide whether to stick or twist with Rodri, if he’s the future then he needs legs beside him. If not he’ll need replacing. I thought Bernardo could do it beside him but he seems lost at present.

If we added Aouar and Grealish to this team in January we’d be an entirely different side, we won’t. I’d say left back only in January if even that.

Let's look on the bright side - if you had to choose a season to play behind closed doors in the last decade, it would definitely be this one.

I think problems that started to emerge up a couple of seasons ago like our lack of width with inverted wingers which were masked by other performers. Now combined with Bernardo’s loss of form with the loss of Fernandinho and Silva plus now Aguero coming towards the end have created a perfect storm.

If we start playing Sterling or Ferran right and Foden or Jesus left we will improve enormously. Mahrez should be shipped out, he’s lazy, selfish and brainless. I’ve never seen someone so good at running the ball out of play so consistently. He is a cancer on this team. He doesn’t press, doesn’t make the right runs or decisions and loses the ball regularly. On the left we’re playing an inverted winger and an inverted full back, there’s no natural width there.

We need to decide whether to stick or twist with Rodri, if he’s the future then he needs legs beside him. If not he’ll need replacing. I thought Bernardo could do it beside him but he seems lost at present.

If we added Aouar and Grealish to this team in January we’d be an entirely different side, we won’t. I’d say left back only in January if even that.
A few pointed to Grealish in the transfer thread but were mostly shouted down by sages who didn’t like his hair or socks. Nevertheless, he practically kept Villa up single handedly and is pulling the strings again now. Imagine his energy and drive in our current setup.

Unfortunately he’s now worth a whole lot more so that ship has sailed.

Downside - he might keep FFS out of the team ;)

A few pointed to Grealish in the transfer thread but were mostly shouted down by sages who didn’t like his hair or socks. Nevertheless, he practically kept Villa up single handedly and is pulling the strings again now. Imagine his energy and drive in our current setup.

Unfortunately he’s now worth a whole lot more so that ship has sailed.

Downside - he might keep FFS out of the team ;)

I didn’t see it myself. I’d always give a new signing a chance but I really didn’t think he’d kick in as he has this season.

It’s astonishing that some people think the title is a possibility. The real question is whether we’re good enough for the top 4. We are pretty much at the same level as the rags, scrapping for the European spots. It isn’t just a bad patch, it’s been declining to this point for almost 18 months. This is our level.
Ahhhhhhhh!!!!!! Why did I read this post? I didn't want to acknowledge this just yet :(

Tricky Trev!!!! You've soured my morning by bringing forth what had been comfortably hiding in my subconscious :(

Ahhhhhhhh!!!!!! Why did I read this post? I didn't want to acknowledge this just yet :(

Tricky Trev!!!! You've soured my morning by bringing forth what had been comfortably hiding in my subconscious :(
So two posters who are chatting shite..
We will comfortably be in the top 4, in fact we will be challenging for the title whilst utd will struggle to make the top 7.
You can get back to me in May.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.