Coronavirus (2021) thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
It is obviously a risk assessment argument and the two countries have reached different conclusions. But it undermines confidence in AZ as a product and doing this hardly helps persuade the company to be helpful to the EU. Why should it go all out to assist a place that is in effect telling the world their vaccine is not safe enough to use it on the 90% of the population who most need it? Not without more tests presumably.

It is a very odd move by Germany who could have just delayed the decision until the dispute was resolved. Not in effect make the party you are disputing with about as disinclined as the could be to cooperate.

Since being told by the NHS app this morning i need to self isolate for 6 days, not 10 I've been thinking why only 6 days and I think its for this reason but can someone confirm:

4 days ago I was shopping in a supermarket(Iceland Newton Heath so its a small shop) for around 25 minutes. Does that mean someone who was in the supermarket at the same time as me and had the NHS app on their phone has since tested positive and that's why I have to isolate for 6 days instead of 10?

Yes but if not for over 65s they are not a priority so they can wait longer. Germany just cut the legs off the EU argument for urgent access. Go buy the better vaccines they think are safer instead.

The bigger question is do they have any case because many people much older than 65 have had AZ. My friend is 24 years older than that and has as it is what the Etihad are using.

they can not have any at all for undermining the whole programme in other countries and undermining the public confidence in vaccines. Don't see why their younger population should be vaccinated and get back to normal if they want to undermine the protection of vulnerable people in other countries.

Indeed AZ could just say - we are doing more tests and we have decided on legal advice not to risk supplying you until those tests are concluded and prove - as we know they will - that the vaccine is safe to send to you.

If they were to supply a product medical authorities have deemed not safe to approve they might well be regarded as liable if it gets used and something goes wrong.

It is obviously a risk assessment argument and the two countries have reached different conclusions. But it undermines confidence in AZ as a product and doing this hardly helps persuade the company to be helpful to the EU. Why should it go all out to assist a place that is in effect telling the world their vaccine is not safe enough to use it on the 90% of the population who most need it? Not without more tests presumably.

It is a very odd move by Germany who could have just delayed the decision until the dispute was resolved. Not in effect make the party you are disputing with about as disinclined as the could be to cooperate.

If they're contractually obliged to. *IF* (as I say I've no idea about the legal situation here).

Who knows. I totally agree with you on this stance completely undermining their product though. It'll only encourage the definitive anti vaxxers and make the sceptical even more so.

Since being told by the NHS app this morning i need to self isolate for 6 days, not 10 I've been thinking why only 6 days and I think its for this reason but can someone confirm:

4 days ago I was shopping in a supermarket(Iceland Newton Heath so its a small shop) for around 25 minutes. Does that mean someone who was in the supermarket at the same time as me and had the NHS app on their phone has since tested positive and that's why I have to isolate for 6 days instead of 10?
Yes. You’ve already ‘done’ 4 days.

The argument is purely based on low numbers in the age group tested not on any actual evidence of it not being safe. The sensible thing to have done would have been approve the vaccine and guide the government afterwards on its use until further test data.

Not approving it for all over 65s is like a two finger salute to the vaccine and will compromise its confidence around the world. I would think there is good law behind being able not to send a product to a purchaser who has clearly demonstrated their purpose is to damage global confidence in that product.

Probably be labelled a doom monger for sharing this. But it's relevant to Germany's deicison today and why they've made it. Before anyone starts, this isn't me agreeing or disagreeing with it...it's just relevant to their decision and a big topic of discussion.

I think AZ trial results in USA in a much larger scale are due to be announced this month (someone correct me if I'm wrong?), so I suppose when that point comes it will clear up any confusion and we'll have a definitive outlook either way?

Tameside doctor on BBC NW just noted that 75% of all cases there (and in most of GM) are the new variant.

And they expect hospital numbers to peak this weekend.

NW numbers have been going down slowly all week in the data I post each evening so I thought that was true already,

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.