Hiking thread

I need recommendations for a good brand of waterproof boots
I'd prefer synthetic to leather
My current pair are these but they are falling apart

I bought a really comfy pair of Merrell boots and they fell apart within 6 months. Fortunately the shop I bought them from gave me a replacement new pair. These fell apart and were outside the warranty.
Bought a pair of cheaper, not a big name brand, leather pair and they have lasted me three years. The Merrell’s synthetic upper always came apart at the seam with the footbed. I looked for a pair where the upper and lower were joined with a third layer over the two of them.

I bought a really comfy pair of Merrell boots and they fell apart within 6 months. Fortunately the shop I bought them from gave me a replacement new pair. These fell apart and were outside the warranty.
Bought a pair of cheaper, not a big name brand, leather pair and they have lasted me three years. The Merrell’s synthetic upper always came apart at the seam with the footbed. I looked for a pair where the upper and lower were joined with a third layer over the two of them.

I bought the Merrell about three years ago and they were really comfortable as soon as I put them on
I've worn them plenty in the last year having time to walk due to furlough and I was going to recommend them to a friend until I read the reviews about them splitting. I checked mine this morning and they've done the exact same as the reviews stated
Reading about having to constantly treat leather boots has put me off them and which is why I'd prefer synthetic

Obviously I understand that a single brand doesn't suit everyone's feet
Is the stuff they sell in Sports Direct any good, Karrimor, Millet etc, or are these what you're saying I should stay away from?

Stumbled across this website
Merrell are popular, but again the reviews on durability are scathing

Last edited:
I bought the Merrell about three years ago and they were really comfortable as soon as I put them on
I've worn them plenty in the last year having time to walk due to furlough and I was going to recommend them to a friend until I read the reviews about them splitting. I checked mine this morning and they've done the exact same as the reviews stated
Reading about having to constantly treat leather boots has put me off them and which is why I'd prefer synthetic

Obviously I understand that a single brand doesn't suit everyone's feet
Is the stuff they sell in Sports Direct any good, Karrimor, Millet etc, or are these what you're saying I should stay away from?

Stumbled across this website
Merrell are popular, but again the reviews on durability are scathing

The main thing to take from it is that boots are of a personal nature as everyone’s feet are different.

A couple of years ago I wanted a new pair with money no object. I tried on everything they had, including makes like Scarpa, but the only really comfy ones were Merrell.
Ended up buying the next comfiest for my feet which was a pair of Hi-Tecs (!) at half the price. They’re leather and you do have to look after them, but no more so than my synthetic boots did.

The main thing to take from it is that boots are of a personal nature as everyone’s feet are different.

A couple of years ago I wanted a new pair with money no object. I tried on everything they had, including makes like Scarpa, but the only really comfy ones were Merrell.
Ended up buying the next comfiest for my feet which was a pair of Hi-Tecs (!) at half the price. They’re leather and you do have to look after them, but no more so than my synthetic boots did.
Just so disappointed with the Merrell. They were well over £100

I've been doing some research and will more than likely end up with leather
I'm thinking of just going for a cheaper option and replace them annually if required. I can still use the Merrell in the dry

I'm thinking of just going for a cheaper option and replace them annually if required. I can still use the Merrell in the dry
Me too, the best boots for my feet by a long chalk.
My son in law bought a pair and he thought they were great too, but his also came apart at the seam. As I said they need to cover the seam between the upper and the footbed.

I need recommendations for a good brand of waterproof boots
I'd prefer synthetic to leather
My current pair are these but they are falling apart

La Sportiva are my preferred choice mate.. got these last year, lightweight, warm and sturdy. Waterproof too.

Attachments

• 902EDA6A-72AD-4AD1-9E65-C42B9946CF47.png
    902EDA6A-72AD-4AD1-9E65-C42B9946CF47.png
    985.4 KB · Views: 18

Give Meindl a try, ever since I tried these 6 years ago they are my go to brand for anything related to the mountains or hiking. For light hiking, I love my Texas 3000 GTX - incredible comfort & protection

Sportiva are the preferred choice of most Alpinistes but I find they run a bit narrow/tight and take some getting used to in terms of fit

As we obviously can’t travel too far I went for a hike up Dovestones reservoir today... bloody freezing up top so thankfully I was well wrapped up for it, snow up to my knees at times walking along the top and really windy. A couple ahead of me and she was in Ugg boots.... better than his Rag backpack mind....

If going out hiking in this then dress properly ffs!! F76E8D1D-3DCE-4D77-BE7B-C5B3F2DA2CDB.jpeg

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.