Hiking thread

I also used furlough time to get out and walk, managed about 400km over 2 months, mostly around the reservoirs and hills on woodhead pass. If you park up near the tunnels at the end of the woodhead reservoir, you can walk up to the top of the moors, and make it over to Bleaklow (easier route if you park up on Snakes Pass) to see the wreckage of the B-29 Superfortress, and the views from Higher Shelf Stones are pretty good! Also near the tunnels at Woodhead, there are a few cloughs that take some scrambling over rocks, but some hidden waterfalls can be found, and its a lot of fun. Similar can be found a few km's from the car park at Crowden, I did almost break my leg though, but fortunately had enough mobility to make my way out, otherwise a helicopter rescue would have been the only way out!
You can't always get a helicopter. I've been involved in more than a few stretcher carry outs in the Peak District. Luckily not long ones, but certainly a few Km to the nearest accessible road. It would probably be Edale Team from there.

Took some friends up Mt Snowdon yesterday who’d never been before, walked up the Pyg track and back down Llanberis path. Beautiful day for it and was the clearest skies I’ve ever known up there, could see for miles. Seemed everyone had the same idea though as was hammered and people were queuing at the trig point for photos for over 40 minutes!! Where are all these twats when it’s fucking pissing down and blowing a gale!!E34073BF-0A17-494C-ABF9-76C1E4A8871A.jpeg

Well we’ve got a running and cycling thread, was going to start a swimming one but not too many do it so decided to start this one.

In the past 12 months really got into getting out hiking with my girlfriend, I’ve done stuff in the past like the 3 peaks and Yorkshire 3 peaks but it was totally new to her. Last year we climbed Helvellyn then a few months later we climbed Ben Nevis. We climbed Scafell pike last weekend and finally did Snowdon today. We’ve also done Mam Tor and Kinder scout over the last month and I’m now wondering were to go next.
We’ve got a trip up in the Cheviots next month already planned and are looking at doing the Old man of Conniston soon too but want to know any other recommendations from other walkers.
We live in North Manchester so don’t want to have to travel to far, ideally get there, up down and home same day, can’t always stay over a night.

So come on fellow mooners.... where next?
Aaah, God's special acres. There's tons of hiking to be had - Moston Lane, Boggart Hole Clough, Heaton Park, Victoria Avenue, Rochdale Road, and the trek along the banks of the Irk is on the Unesco Hiking Heritage Index.

Took some friends up Mt Snowdon yesterday who’d never been before, walked up the Pyg track and back down Llanberis path. Beautiful day for it and was the clearest skies I’ve ever known up there, could see for miles. Seemed everyone had the same idea though as was hammered and people were queuing at the trig point for photos for over 40 minutes!! Where are all these twats when it’s fucking pissing down and blowing a gale!!View attachment 2699

Great pic that. Been up 3 times but always been overcast so the pictures have never done the views justice.

Last edited:
Well we’ve got a running and cycling thread, was going to start a swimming one but not too many do it so decided to start this one.

In the past 12 months really got into getting out hiking with my girlfriend, I’ve done stuff in the past like the 3 peaks and Yorkshire 3 peaks but it was totally new to her. Last year we climbed Helvellyn then a few months later we climbed Ben Nevis. We climbed Scafell pike last weekend and finally did Snowdon today. We’ve also done Mam Tor and Kinder scout over the last month and I’m now wondering were to go next.
We’ve got a trip up in the Cheviots next month already planned and are looking at doing the Old man of Conniston soon too but want to know any other recommendations from other walkers.
We live in North Manchester so don’t want to have to travel to far, ideally get there, up down and home same day, can’t always stay over a night.

So come on fellow mooners.... where next?

3 of my favourites...

Malham Cove. Stunning walk, we couldn't climb the waterfall as we had our little girl with us but went over the top instead. Got a bit of everything this walk, streams, waterfalls, hills, weird rock formations and a massive wall. Plus the village is great with a really nice pub and ice cream.

Loughrigg Fell from Ambleside. Over the top and down by a couple of lakes. Really nice.

Dovedale Peak District. Over the stepping stones, along the river to the stone bridge. Turn right up over the hill and with your way back.

3 of my favourites...

Malham Cove. Stunning walk, we couldn't climb the waterfall as we had our little girl with us but went over the top instead. Got a bit of everything this walk, streams, waterfalls, hills, weird rock formations and a massive wall. Plus the village is great with a really nice pub and ice cream.

Loughrigg Fell from Ambleside. Over the top and down by a couple of lakes. Really nice.

Dovedale Peak District. Over the stepping stones, along the river to the stone bridge. Turn right up over the hill and with your way back.
Did Malham cove earlier this year... lovely, did you look out for the bee books?

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.