Coronavirus (2021) thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ah yes, but the Scotish data set IS available to the medical scientific community and will be joined by English data set later today.
Those dealing with medical stats tell me that the raw data is astonishingly good.
Oh and this was part of my day job 14 years ago so I know a few people who HAVE seen the data.
Great to hear. Good to read that Scotland are doing so well and hopefully the picture is as positive across the U.K.

Not really.

It's a trustworthy source - public health Scotland. Two reputable universities are involved.

You can read the paper describing the pre-planned analysis linked from that press release (this is really important because it prevents cherry picking after the data is known).

There's a hierarchy of knowledge here, and sure, more would be nice, but it's definitely somewhere high up there already, and with all possible respect, considerably above "random anonymous dude going on about owls"!
"the Universities of Edinburgh, Strathclyde, Aberdeen, Glasgow and St Andrew’s analysed data on vaccine effect."

So, which three are you holding in ill repute? ;-)

A bit more detail on that Scottish study from the beeb.

If the detail backs up the headlines, this is absolutely wonderful news. Far more important than whatever Johnson announces.

I think it's scandalous the attempts that have happened to try and discredit the AZ vaccine, seems to be having a negative effect in Europe as well with people refusing to have it.

I think it's scandalous the attempts that have happened to try and discredit the AZ vaccine, seems to be having a negative effect in Europe as well with people refusing to have it.
Yeah backed the wrong horse and spun it away.

At least the PF is doing well also.

That study on the efficaciousness of the vaccines in Scotland is obviously the one I posted in here about last week when that BMooner was on here saying he only wanted Pfizer because it was by far the best.....

I had hoped our AZ 'mole' could back up the media rumour that Boris was shown this data last week. Which supported earlier thinking that Pfizer may be better at stopping you catching Covid full stop but AZ better at stopping you getting very sick if you do. As in near 100%

Which is exactly as these results suggest. Early doors as they are and so cautious as we must be.

If it pans out and as the scientist said they will have data on the death figures in a week or two as these take longer to compile as there are fewer of them to make it viable and deaths lag catching Covid by some weeks - then we will seem to have two vaccines that are better at different things not one great vaccine and one rubbish one that everyone should avoid.

I always thought that was where this was headed and the campaign to do down AZ was not based on science as much as politics and commercial opportunism.

But anything that stops people hesitating or turning down a vaccination because it might be that rubbish Oxford one is good news for us all.

Total covid cases, hospital admissions and deaths for 85+ in all settings in England. Also (in yellow) the % of all deaths in 60+ from 85+ year olds is falling steadily.

The figures are getting weird. Good to see the deaths coming down, and apparently at a faster rate for 85+ than all 60+, but we are reaching a point where hospital admission with a positive covid test is reaching a huge percentage of actual cases. At the moment the admissions are larger than cases, but there is obviously a delay between test and hospitalisation so there's a lag. Still, doesn't stop the positive result to hospital admission being >50%. Which is mad. So if anyone has any good theories.....
(there must be loads of quirks and oddities to this data)

View attachment 11088

I think there's something awry with your figures? - England current cases are ~10,000 (7 day average) and deaths ~450 daily - from the FT tracker.

1613995221648.png

Not really.

It's a trustworthy source - public health Scotland. Two reputable universities are involved.

You can read the paper describing the pre-planned analysis linked from that press release (this is really important because it prevents cherry picking after the data is known).

There's a hierarchy of knowledge here, and sure, more would be nice, but it's definitely somewhere high up there already, and with all possible respect, considerably above "random anonymous dude going on about owls"!
it was tongue in cheek.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.