#7 | Raheem Sterling - 2020/21 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.
What you think of his second half at Anfield, great or not?
Much better than his first and far closer to the standard I'd expect.

Just had a look at my input and coincidentally one of my comments was 'almost brilliant' which pretty much sums him up.

Last edited:
Pep picks him because he knows he has the ability to do something special and our lack of goals doesn't need to be any more of a problem.The issue is he rarely does that something special,and despite the impressive numbers in front of goal they should be so much better,along with his overall contribution.

Bernardo was in no way more out of form,he just wasnt given an opportunity to prove it.

Again, Sterling has scored more goals from open play than any other player in England since the start of last season, while not being in top form at that. Being too critical of him is harsh and myopic. Bernardo was contributing little apart from running, that's why Pep didn't pick him often. On current form Bernardo is undroppable. Even if Sterling is not at his very best, Pep would still start him if the CL were tomorrow. Tells a lot about what Pep thinks of his importance to the team.

Some valid points. I would say though that Bernardo is a much more technically competent player than Sterling, so allowing him to regain that form (or not), we knew what we could expect

I'd be interested to hear views on what does "in form" look like for Sterling
I’m not his biggest fan, as it goes, but this is what you get from an in-form Sterling:

- Goals (his stats are undeniable)
- Excellent positioning awareness (leading to tap-ins that need little technical finishing ability)
- Dangerous runs into/across the box that often create goals or draw penalties (not that they are always converted!)
- Running and energy that demand close attention from defenders.

When on form - and when City are creating - erratic shooting and elephantine ball control are outweighed by the positives.

How’s that, mate?

If I may offer a differing perspective, I think our new system might be exposing Sterling's weaknesses quite abit. Weird thing to talk about, considering he didn't play this match, but I was thinking about how our wingers are a little erratic this season (except Foden).

---Stones----Dias----Zinny----
------Cancelo---Rodri--------
-------KdB-------Gundogan----
---Mahrez----Gaby----Sterling---

For eg. this is how we usually set-up on the attack. Our wingers are pushed high and wide, as per usual. However, this season it's much more apparent we are playing without attacking/overlapping FBs, the trade-off for more midfield numbers and defensive stability.

I think the current system requires more technical demands from our wingers to beat a man on their own, because there's one less man to support them on the attack. Way I see it, for the wingers this season it's like "here's the ball, pass it back, put a cross in or you're on your own." To put it more simply, they are made to do more dribbling than off-the-ball running.

Sterling's technical ability has never been his strength. I believe he's at his best when there's players playing close to him and combining with him (Silva, Mendy, etc). Which is why I think players like Foden, who are technically gifted and can consistently beat their man, slot better into the current system, and I would say the proverbial 'eye test' would suggest that.

I'm sure I can explain better, but I'm not a particularly articulate person... I'm not making excuses for/having a go at Raz, but just hoping to get a more educated guess on his dip in form.

If I may offer a differing perspective, I think our new system might be exposing Sterling's weaknesses quite abit. Weird thing to talk about, considering he didn't play this match, but I was thinking about how our wingers are a little erratic this season (except Foden).

For eg. this is how we usually set-up on the attack. Our wingers are pushed high and wide, as per usual. However, this season it's much more apparent we are playing without attacking/overlapping FBs, the trade-off for more midfield numbers and defensive stability.

I think the current system requires more technical demands from our wingers to beat a man on their own, because there's one less man to support them on the attack. Way I see it, for the wingers this season it's like "here's the ball, pass it back, put a cross in or you're on your own." To put it more simply, they are made to do more dribbling than off-the-ball running.

Sterling's technical ability has never been his strength. I believe he's at his best when there's players playing close to him and combining with him (Silva, Mendy, etc). Which is why I think players like Foden, who are technically gifted and can consistently beat their man, slot better into the current system, and I would say the proverbial 'eye test' would suggest that.

I'm sure I can explain better, but I'm not a particularly articulate person... I'm not making excuses for/having a go at Raz, but just hoping to get a more educated guess on his dip in form.

I've said similar a few times, the system is working well for the team in general but it's not doing any of our wingers any favours in terms of individual performances.

We certainly didn't look any better without him today.

I've said similar a few times, the system is working well for the team in general but it's not doing any of our wingers any favours in terms of individual performances.

We certainly didn't look any better without him today.
Glad someone else noticed the same things :)

And you are right about the last point. Which was what got me thinking; barring Foden, why our wingers are so enigmatic this season.

So, those who turn out to be right about the players are just blind supporters, and those who are wrong about them are critically minded and seek the truth? Wow. What about the possibility that many of the critics are just clueless and that many of the 'blind supporters' defend the players because they are able to appreciate the players better? Has this possibility crossed your mind?
If someone chooses to say a player is fantastic, when they clearly have huge deficiencies, but then thfindform again, I’m sure they’ll say I told you so. Quite frankly I hope that’s the case with Sterling as he’s really likeable and commendable as a person.

My issue was with posters that are wilfully ignorant of a players shortcomings and say everything is great when it’s plain to see that there are problems.

If you read my recent assessments of Sterling you’ll see that it HAS crossed my mind that Sterling has qualities that some posters wilfully ignore. A lot more posters are coming to recognise his movement and commitment, and appreciate that we’ll have to put up with a rash of fluffed opportunities in order to benefit from him dragging defenders out of position.

Especially considering the Torres inclusion doesn’t seem to have worked today (I say that having had to work rather than watch the match today - so my statement is based on what I’ve heard rather than seen).

I can’t however watch us play and believe that there aren’t players out there that could offer us what Raheem offers, along with better technique, composure and finishing ability. If a player was identified I’d expect our club to pull the trigger.

I appreciate the write-up, some good points, but I believe your central premise is flawed, when have we ever played with overlapping fullbacks under Pep? We have always overloaded the midfield with the fullbacks.

Every successful season under Pep was due to wide wingers, with Pep either wanting to isolate his wingers 1on1 (which you say is a weakness for Sterling), or either to run in behind from quick 1-2s with David or Kevin feeding the winger on their side to cross it in.

This is actually why alot of posters said they want Sterling back to RW instead of LW (which your argument would be for because that makes him play inside more or to his strengths as you say).

I have personally got to the point that I don't think Sterling plays better on one side or the other (inside or out), but just different, and if he plays poorly its because he played poorly.

If someone chooses to say a player is fantastic, when they clearly have huge deficiencies, but then thfindform again, I’m sure they’ll say I told you so. Quite frankly I hope that’s the case with Sterling as he’s really likeable and commendable as a person.

My issue was with posters that are wilfully ignorant of a players shortcomings and say everything is great when it’s plain to see that there are problems.

If you read my recent assessments of Sterling you’ll see that it HAS crossed my mind that Sterling has qualities that some posters wilfully ignore. A lot more posters are coming to recognise his movement and commitment, and appreciate that we’ll have to put up with a rash of fluffed opportunities in order to benefit from him dragging defenders out of position.

Especially considering the Torres inclusion doesn’t seem to have worked today (I say that having had to work rather than watch the match today - so my statement is based on what I’ve heard rather than seen).

I can’t however watch us play and believe that there aren’t players out there that could offer us what Raheem offers, along with better technique, composure and finishing ability. If a player was identified I’d expect our club to pull the trigger.

It's normal to have disagreements. I will be happy if we sign a better player than Sterling, won't be easy though. Since Pep's arrival Sterling has contributed more goals/assists than any other player at the club. Would be good to improve on that. I think Sterling will finish the season strongly.

Personally, I'm not against controversial opinions at all. I have defended Rodri when he was getting a lot of stick. Same with Bernardo and Jesus. And I was virtually the only poster on here who was predicting weeks before our game at Bernabeu that Kun was not good enough for such a game and Pep wouldn't start him there. Got a lot of stick from many posters for that. Was right though that Pep wouldn't play him (and David Silva as well).

The influence of David Silva shouldn’t be underestimated either. His unparalleled genius for dropping into space and then playing balls through to our wide players shaped a lot of our attacking patterns. We don’t have anyone doing that to anywhere near the same level and have adapted our approach accordingly

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.