Maine Road or Etihad

I miss the smell of greasy old chip fat, and the days when a meat and potato pie had real pieces of meat. OK, not sure what part of the animal they were from, but you knew you were chewing a real piece of meat. And (yes, its all about food), but an after game curry or kebab couldn’t be beat !

The Etihad can’t compete with that.

Where can I buy a pair of your rose tinted specs?

For one thing the Kippax terracing was too shallow and hard to see anything if stuck behind a couple of 6 foot guys so many would not have actually seen 93.20. The atmosphere was only good at certain games and rarely in the main stand.

Maine Road was primitive in the 1960's when "improvements" started. It was a dump by the time we left. Keep the good memories though.
Of course it was a dump. But it was our dump.

I miss the smell of greasy old chip fat, and the days when a meat and potato pie had real pieces of meat. OK, not sure what part of the animal they were from, but you knew you were chewing a real piece of meat. And (yes, its all about food), but an after game curry or kebab couldn’t be beat !

The Etihad can’t compete with that.
The area around the Ethad is shite and so are the pubs

Did you ever walk past a place called Culvers Car Mart? I ask because my stepfather was appointed general manager of it. That's what brought us north in the first place.
I knew Alan Culver. He was the brother-in-law of a mate of my Dad's. I bought a couple of cars from him. I think his showroom was on the junction of Moseley Road and Birchfields Road. The first was a Fiat 500 which was a mistake. The car was fine for tootling around town but I used it to travel the country with three mates following City to Birmingham, Liverpool, West Brom, Nottingham, and Newcastle (on 11 May 1968!).

I was also using for work travelling to Clitheroe and Kendal regularly. I was paid milage allowance and with the Fiat doing 50 miles a gallon, I made a fortune on travel expenses. That was enough to be able to trade it in at Culver's for a 'nearly new' MGC-GT.

Sadly that ended my away match trips and it wasn't really financially feasible with only two seats and 20 miles per gallon. The Fiat 500 wouldn't have lasted much longer anyway. It was air cooled with two cylinders and vibrated. Two or three times, the vibrations broke the exhaust pipe at the manifold. The heat from the exhaust would then cause a lead from the distributor to the spark plug to disconnect. A two-cylinder car with one cylinder not working would not go. Coming back from a Forest match it failed on the hills in Derbyshire. Fortunately I found a small piece of drain pipe on the moors by the roadside. This fitted in between the exhaust and the distributer and provided protection to get us home.

That’s a great picture. Anyone know what year it is?
21st February 1934, FA Cup Fifth Round Replay: City v Sheffield Wednesday.

2-0 to City, attendance 68,614.

If I had a choice of watching City at Maine Road or the Etihad I'd pick Maine Road every time. Most of my favourite childhood memories involve Maine Road and Platt Lane and the atmosphere was better (even if that does get exaggerated a tad).

Moving to the Etihad was too good an opportunity to turn down and played a huge part in getting us to where we are now, but it still doesn't feel like 'home' the way Maine Road did. Saying that, I'm really missing going to games and I can't wait to get back there!

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.