Maine Road or Etihad

Amazing memories of being a kid at Maine Road. getting absolutely soaked in the North Stand whilst Steve Bull got his customary winner against us. Will never forget the game against the Rags when Chuckle fed the Goat, atmosphere was insane and was the first time a lot of people in that stadium had seen us beat them. Fantastic times.

But then, I'll never forget 93.20 or the Barca 3-1 either. The 1-0 on the Wednesday before QPR. Kompany screamer against Leicester.

There's not much directly around the Etihad, even City Square etc is pretty bleak.

But a 10 min walk away in NQ and Ancoats you've got one of the best areas for drinking in the UK, rain or shine you've got more decent pubs and bars than probably any top flight ground bar Fulham and Chelsea.

It's not built for a gang of 20 or if you go out wearing a City shirt and want a sing song, but you can have fantastic all dayers.

Walking through dog shite , puddles and broken glass, while approaching the kippax, could never be replicated.
The half hour walk from the 1 inch kippax steps , down the waiting for a disaster steps from the top of the stand, queuing in the pouring rain to enter the piss filled urinals, modelled on Strangeways ,was a match day highlight.
Ducking the darts, broken bottles ,and random coinage on big match day, always bring back nostalgic memories.
Finally getting back to the car, the joy of finding a broken window, and missing stereo, the good old days.
They never ask the fans what they want when designing these grounds nowadays.
Sorry for the stereo

How dangerous was it for away fans back in the day outside and around Maine road? I’ve heard a few stories and it sounded mad

My son lives at the back of the old Kippax and asked me about a building which appears to be in the far corner of the main park. It's difficult to tell if it was in the car park but it's still there now although worse for wear on the edge of the new housing. Pic from the rear shown plus its in the bottom v of the aerial pic.

Attachments

• IMG-20210304-WA0004.jpg
    IMG-20210304-WA0004.jpg
    126.2 KB · Views: 63
  • IMG-20210304-WA0000.jpg
    IMG-20210304-WA0000.jpg
    123.8 KB · Views: 61
I fell in love with Maine Road in the 70’s but boy did they absolutely wreck the old place. We all remember the wonderful atmosphere we created, when bothered.

I love the new ground but it’s not perfect so I’m going to sit on the fence (something I loved doing as a kid at Maine Rd) and say both!

The interior of the Etihad is outstanding, a beautiful stadium, but the exterior is a disgrace for a major club, it needs a serious revamp and quickly.

Personally think the club has missed a great opportunity to do so during the pandemic.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.