Making an offer on a house - strategy

Absilutely. We had a buyer for our house, he offered £20,000 less than the asking price of £140,000. We didnt talk to him again. We didnt bother with people like that

Be fair but firm
Totally agree mate, I lost a great house once trying to be a clever bastard and they fucked me right off, good on em, that’s what I deserved ... I’ve never pushed my luck since and always done ok..

Never touch the agents recommended solicitors.
Get your own.
Like any trade, get three quotes before choosing.
In my experience every solicitor that does residential conveyancing and house buying/selling is terrible. You get the impression they have 100 jobs on the go at any one time and they have about 20mins a week to work on your case. Most of that though is rolled up to the final days where thay have to spend a couple of hours doing things having left it festering for months.

I have nothing consructive to say around how to avoid this - it just seems the industry standard way of doing things.

Totally agree mate, I lost a great house once trying to be a clever bastard and they fucked me right off, good on em, that’s what I deserved ... I’ve never pushed my luck since and always done ok..
These buyers think people are desperate to sell and have watched too many episodes of wheeler dealers. Either that or they're trying to be 'clever' and get one over on the seller.
That's all fine if you're looking at a house as an investment that will make money but if you want a house to live in and make a home then why fuck about trying to get it a few grand cheaper and risk losing it?

Anyone recommend any surveyors in the manchester area?

These did a good job for me.

In my experience every solicitor that does residential conveyancing and house buying/selling is terrible. You get the impression they have 100 jobs on the go at any one time and they have about 20mins a week to work on your case. Most of that though is rolled up to the final days where thay have to spend a couple of hours doing things having left it festering for months.

I have nothing consructive to say around how to avoid this - it just seems the industry standard way of doing things.
My experience,having done our own conveyancing twice, is that people tend to blame their solicitor for tardiness by local councils responding to search requests and the land registry.

There's a house we really like (bricks and mortar, location etc) but is quite tired and needs a fair bit of work. Houses on the same street sold in the past few years for 20/30k less in much better condition, so cant really work out how the estate agent has reached the figure he has. Reckons we could get it for 10k under asking. I'm wondering if people think house sellers are just chancing their arm at the minute with the stamp duty holiday and over pricing? Others in a similar bracket have all been reduced in the past few weeks. Unsure at the minute whether to go quite a fair bit over budget and get a house that needs no work or to sit out and see if this one gets reduced enough that ive got the cash to do the work on it.

There's a house we really like (bricks and mortar, location etc) but is quite tired and needs a fair bit of work. Houses on the same street sold in the past few years for 20/30k less in much better condition, so cant really work out how the estate agent has reached the figure he has. Reckons we could get it for 10k under asking. I'm wondering if people think house sellers are just chancing their arm at the minute with the stamp duty holiday and over pricing? Others in a similar bracket have all been reduced in the past few weeks. Unsure at the minute whether to go quite a fair bit over budget and get a house that needs no work or to sit out and see if this one gets reduced enough that ive got the cash to do the work on it.
House market changes regularly
Most sellers ( depending location) & how long been on the market will usually accept a lower offer
Your surveyor will you an inkling what you should pay & the estate agent will give you an indication how much the sellers will drop
If you can stand the hassle & mither of doing the work yourself go in with a cheeky offer, Good Luck

Reactions: ell
These buyers think people are desperate to sell and have watched too many episodes of wheeler dealers. Either that or they're trying to be 'clever' and get one over on the seller.
That's all fine if you're looking at a house as an investment that will make money but if you want a house to live in and make a home then why fuck about trying to get it a few grand cheaper and risk losing it?
Totally agree mate

It might be their budget?

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.