Golf Thread

Ashton open to visitors now, you can book a week in advance, members have first dibs up to a fortnight. We've resumed our 3:30ish Sunday slots now so may see you up there, wear your City cap so I can recognise you.
Yeah played there 13.45 last Sunday. Booked in for 14.45 this coming one.

See you in the newly untreated drinks area, with/without cap....will be in North Manchester Possé team colours, orange t-shirt.

I'm no pro but three things possible in decreasing order of cost.
1) Get new clubs
2) Get new grips
3) Clean grips well as a short term measure or even sandpaper them.
I am told that if you are getting blisters it suggests you're gripping the club too tightly which probably costs distance and accuracy as you don't release properly.
If u buy a cheap set make sure u get them regripped.
6 starter lessons most important to be taught the basics grip etc.
If u take to the game get custom fitted for your clubs best thing i ever did.
One tip when hitting in to the green always take 1 more club.
Most of all enjoy it

If u buy a cheap set make sure u get them regripped.
6 starter lessons most important to be taught the basics grip etc.
If u take to the game get custom fitted for your clubs best thing i ever did.
One tip when hitting in to the green always take 1 more club.
Most of all enjoy it
I agree about taking lessons being the most important aspect, its best to start with a blank canvas.
I would pass on custom fitting. If you're an average guy with an average swing speed regular shafted off the shelf clubs will do. A set of clubs custom fitted will be well over £1000.

How big a difference do the clubs make in general? I use the clubs my dad gave me from 25 years ago still and am contemplating getting a new set this year. The grips are all slippy and the give me horrible blisters, so think it might be time.
Re-grip them yourself... It's a doddle with some white spirit and double sided tape

It's 90% about the person and 10% about the clubs I'd say

How big a difference do the clubs make in general? I use the clubs my dad gave me from 25 years ago still and am contemplating getting a new set this year. The grips are all slippy and the give me horrible blisters, so think it might be time.

Correct size wise, a huge difference. I found out that the previous set of irons I had were two inches shorter than I needed and also smaller grips. Just getting them lengthened and putting midsized grips on made a huge difference to both my distance and consistency.

If they’re not the right size, you will be doing compensating moves in both your swing and your grip.

Thats not to mention how much tech has advanced even in the last ten years too.

They make all the difference mate going from that age to modern tech. I recently purchased some ex-display Callaway Mavrik irons and sold my old (2008) Callaway X-22 Tours. The difference is like night and day. They’re so much longer (9 iron rather than 7 iron for 150 yards) and 5 iron rather than 5 wood for 210. I’ve now got so much more confidence stepping up to a ball than I had before.

The off centre strikes aren’t so much of a problem and they have great height and soft landings on the green. I’d say they’ve knocked 4-5 shots off my average round (I do play every day however so have been able to groove into them quite fast).

Average yardage from my last 10 rounds my garmin app using the club sensors:

3B8896AD-1372-4D71-A247-972B3BD8E899.jpeg
And believe me, it’s not because I’m suddenly stronger than I was a month ago. It’s all in the tech.

It has been a tactic of the manufacturers for some time to deloft their irons so a 7 iron 10 years ago is virtually a 9 iron now. This becomes a problem when going from 9 iron into the wedges where a lot of them are specified in degrees of loft and there is a significant gap in the yardage between them. It might be simpler to stamp the loft on all clubs and do away with the numbering system.

They make all the difference mate going from that age to modern tech. I recently purchased some ex-display Callaway Mavrik irons and sold my old (2008) Callaway X-22 Tours. The difference is like night and day. They’re so much longer (9 iron rather than 7 iron for 150 yards) and 5 iron rather than 5 wood for 210. I’ve now got so much more confidence stepping up to a ball than I had before.

The off centre strikes aren’t so much of a problem and they have great height and soft landings on the green. I’d say they’ve knocked 4-5 shots off my average round (I do play every day however so have been able to groove into them quite fast).

Average yardage from my last 10 rounds my garmin app using the club sensors:

View attachment 14138
And believe me, it’s not because I’m suddenly stronger than I was a month ago. It’s all in the tech.
I've just been into American golf and booked a one hour session with them next week. Don't want to particularly break the bank for new clubs, but they seemed to think for around 5/600 id get a very good set of clubs. Looking forward to getting back into golf after not really swinging a club for 10 years.

It has been a tactic of the manufacturers for some time to deloft their irons so a 7 iron 10 years ago is virtually a 9 iron now. This becomes a problem when going from 9 iron into the wedges where a lot of them are specified in degrees of loft and there is a significant gap in the yardage between them. It might be simpler to stamp the loft on all clubs and do away with the numbering system.
That’s the second time you’ve been against loft buffing and yet no one does the same with regards to driver loft (9-12 degrees).

I’ll bet my 7 iron goes just as high and lands as soft as your 7 iron and I’ll bet it goes 20 yards further.

But to agree with you, I carry 4 wedges after my PW so I’m properly gapped and they suit me just fine.

I've just been into American golf and booked a one hour session with them next week. Don't want to particularly break the bank for new clubs, but they seemed to think for around 5/600 id get a very good set of clubs. Looking forward to getting back into golf after not really swinging a club for 10 years.
For £5/600 then you’ll get a great set mate. But I’d honestly get fitted and then buy a 12 month old second hand set. You’ll be buying them for half price and likely get a better second hand set than you would brand new.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.