Liverpool thread 2020/21

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wrong outlet to try it on with though,
The Guardian/Observer isn't a newspaper known for chequebook journalism and they were consistent loss makers pre-covid.

If he wants to cash in on it then he should go to the red tops. Although there is only one he could realistically sell it to without a huge backlash for obvious reasons.
The Guardian came to him, he wasnt hawking a story around. Did you see the date on the Echo piece? 2005

Last edited:
The Guardian came to him, he wasnt hawking a story around. Did you see the date on the Echo piece? 2005

Didn't realise the date, but doubt it changes much as Observer probably wasn't profitable then. All in all in it's in bad taste to ask for cash for that kind of article. If you don't want to talk about it because it brings back bad memories you would rather not relive, then just say no thank you. Unless you want to, you don't even need to go into details why.

If you start asking for payment you come across as entitled and uncaring.

Doubt they only asked three Liverpool players for comments but only Phil Neal's refusal features because of the way he rejected it. Contrast what he said with the comments of Grobbelar and Kennedy and he comes across as a prize tit.

Sir John Goldring coroner after Hillsborough,

Quote...However, he said that Liverpool supporters "did not have a reputation for violence" and told jurors "there is no suggestion that the Hillsborough disaster was caused by hooliganism".

Violence must have started after Hillsborough then.
Does he now work for Mersey side Plod - nothing to see here.
Just had a thought ------------------------ I bet there are no SpecSavers shops anywhere near Liverpool.
On further thought probably no optometrists either.

I think those that point to ticketless/late/pissed-up fans are missing the point; all those things were endemic at the time. Maybe Liverpool fans were slightly more prone to it back then, but I know from personal memory there were plenty of City fans who routinely did all three for the big aways in the 80’s (such as they were). This should have been known about and planned for by the relevant authorities. Police forces (as they were) have a duty to maintain public safety when large crowds congregate for sporting (and other) events. In return, we (as citizens) give up some civil rights and liberties when we attend such events - and those officers are paid a salary and pension by those members of the public to do that job and fulfil that duty. That's the deal.

Any competent police commander deploying the resources available to him/her, doing their fucking job, would have avoided the death of 96 people. The absence of other, similar tragedies around that time strongly supports thst contention, as does all the evidence.

That was the cause; all the rest is background music. It was SYP’s responsibility and they fucked it.

What happened at Hillsborough was a tragedy, I don't subscribe to the point of view that Liverpool fans are are entirely innocent. The poor buggers that died probably are, but i've no doubt there was an element of fans outside that arrived late, or didn't have tickets or dare i say have a few cans on the coaches over the Pennines that added to the chaos at the turnstiles outside. The fans amassing at those turnstiles were already creating a dangerous crush, I've read that there were traffic jams getting to the ground and the turnstiles probably were not designed to get people through at speed. Once kick off time gets close the panic to get in increases amongst most crowds . On this day the chaos and threat of crushing outside led to the fateful decision to open the gates. A simple act of closing off the centre pens would have directed the fans to the outer pens but as we all know , this wasn't done. The sheer force of the crowd propelled most down the central tunnel and into the centre pens. Survivors have spoken at length how they were swept away. The actions by the police and authorities afterwards were shameful.
It was common practice in those days to blag your way into a match, either by bribery, climbing over fences or forcing gates open. Liverpool fans are not alone in this, but because they have always had the numbers, it happened more than most. My parents were on the embankment at Burnden Park when a similar crush occurred and i've been in several scary crushes at football grounds, Rugby Internationals and pop concerts. Before all seater stadiums, surging forward after a goal used to be common place, the Kop at Liverpool was one of the most celebrated for it but you had to keep your wits about you. Stadium design, secure entry systems and a much better understanding of crowd flows and behaviour have made things safer for all of us.
You would think after Heysel and Hillsborough, Liverpool would have learnt some lessons, sadly i don't think they have and i don't think the club have gone anywhere near far enough in trying to curb the 'enthusiasm' of their fan base.
Anyone would think they had made a formal agreement to suspend their normal practices of drinking a lot before the match and attempting to get in without tickets. Can't be sure about the tickets but there was no doubt that plenty of beer had been supped. The law says that two pints is enough to affect thinking and reacting.
While the drama was unfolding City were away to Blackburn. For some reason the City fans had congregated nearest the turnstiles to the left of the goal and it was extremely difficult to move and so it got worse. Very worrying when you have a scared eight year old boy with you. Fortunately we eventually got past the worst part and got to the area beyond the goal which was much more comfortable.
The problem must have been obvious to the authorities but no attempts were made as far as I am aware to get the crowd to move along to the right. It was their responsibility but l have to say that the fans who had been drinking did not help the situation. I have to admit l had had a few and with more sense l should have never eeetried getting through the mob but l dont recall there being anyone around we could ask for help.
When the Goat scored in the Wigan play off he ran to near where we were and that caused a crush against the wall. Scary and that was in a shallow paddock.
That's how it used to be in those days. The authorities weren't too concerned but we as fans never made a fuss about it.
I despaired when l saw that huge flight of steps just completed at Wembley.

Didn't realise the date, but doubt it changes much as Observer probably wasn't profitable then. All in all in it's in bad taste to ask for cash for that kind of article. If you don't want to talk about it because it brings back bad memories you would rather not relive, then just say no thank you. Unless you want to, you don't even need to go into details why.

If you start asking for payment you come across as entitled and uncaring.

Doubt they only asked three Liverpool players for comments but only Phil Neal's refusal features because of the way he rejected it. Contrast what he said with the comments of Grobbelar and Kennedy and he comes across as a prize tit.

Phil Neal is a despicable ****.

Anyone would think they had made a formal agreement to suspend their normal practices of drinking a lot before the match and attempting to get in without tickets. Can't be sure about the tickets but there was no doubt that plenty of beer had been supped. The law says that two pints is enough to affect thinking and reacting.
While the drama was unfolding City were away to Blackburn. For some reason the City fans had congregated nearest the turnstiles to the left of the goal and it was extremely difficult to move and so it got worse. Very worrying when you have a scared eight year old boy with you. Fortunately we eventually got past the worst part and got to the area beyond the goal which was much more comfortable.
The problem must have been obvious to the authorities but no attempts were made as far as I am aware to get the crowd to move along to the right. It was their responsibility but l have to say that the fans who had been drinking did not help the situation. I have to admit l had had a few and with more sense l should have never eeetried getting through the mob but l dont recall there being anyone around we could ask for help.
When the Goat scored in the Wigan play off he ran to near where we were and that caused a crush against the wall. Scary and that was in a shallow paddock.
That's how it used to be in those days. The authorities weren't too concerned but we as fans never made a fuss about it.
I despaired when l saw that huge flight of steps just completed at Wembley.
Steps at Wembley.... Its as though the Ibrox disaster never happened. Mind you the planners weren't born then.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.