The Super League | FA + PL: New Charter & Fines | UEFA: Settlement

Would you be happy if City joined this European Super League?

• Yes

Votes: 109 5.3%
  • No

Votes: 1,954 94.7%

• Total voters
The Government has said it will do ‘whatever it takes’ to stop this and if they mean it they will.

The clubs can probably kiss goodbye to work permits for starters.
Yep. There’s no way this goes ahead. For the government to jump on this as quickly as they have means they are not having it. These clubs bet on being the most powerful ones at the negotiating table. They will quickly find out they are small fry. This is ill-conceived and doomed to failure.

It seems that Citys position is along the lines of not wanting to join, but couldn’t afford not to. City only need this competition if it goes ahead, the others need it, because they are fucked financially and are scared that they are no longer the elite. We will be a more powerful club without the ESL. If there’s anyone at City with an ounce of sense, we will back out of this as a matter of urgency, because once governments get involved, this is dead and buried. Get ahead of the curve.

I'm not in a position to argue with you about what the average American sports fan says/thinks, and you may well be right in many respects as to owners' intentions. I'm just imagining that
a) they want to promote football globally, not just in the USA
b) to a certain extent, with the right marketing, it could be a selling point for football to be summat different from US sports
c) ever-growing migrant and migrant-descended populations in the US (especially Hispanics) already know and love football and are just waiting to be sold a good league to watch.

I'm sure there will be ways in which the style/look/vibe of how football is presented goes more American, but the factors I've mentioned above might limit this trend.
a) Agreed. But the USA -- white middle-class USA mind you -- is a VERY large, and mostly untapped market, seeing a change in how young people think about and consume sport, and with one of the "big four" sports (baseball, as played by youngsters) in serious decline, and the competitive league (MLS) still growing but not yet a "major" sport (Atlanta United draws more fans than City; Chicago Fire draws fewer than Bournemouth -- or thereabouts).

b) It's harder for me to agree with this because I am a "legacy fan" according to the SL owners, and one of the reasons I love the league structure is precisely because of its differences to US sports -- balanced schedules (not true in any American sport), promo/relegation (not true in any American sport), random draw cups (not true in any American sport save soccer), regular season winner in the league is automatic champion (not true in any American sport). And some of these would, I think go away in a Super League (under my permanent 20-team full-league model) and some would be kept.

c) Important to know just how huge Liga MX is in the US.

U.S. Viewership Of Liga MX Playoffs Smashes EPL And MLS Ratings​

Of course that's the playoffs, but still -- while I think you're right that immigrant-descended populations are hungry for soccer, most of those I know (from all over the world) do already have their favo(u)rite sides and the ability to watch them somehow with streaming. I think the bigger opportunity is with non-immigrants personally.

Stayed in bed all mornin' just to pass the time
There's something wrong here there can be no denyin'
One of us is changin' or maybe we've just stopped tryin'
And it's too late baby now it's too late
Though we really did try to make it
Something inside has died and I can't hide it and I just can't fake it

It's fucking disgraceful and absolutely filled with hypocrisy is what it is
Turning their back on the club because it's joined the elite, despite indulging in the success funded by the person who had now shifted the club into that elite group.
Is this one of those bots they've got running round the internet?

It's fucking disgraceful and absolutely filled with hypocrisy is what it is
Turning their back on the club because it's joined the elite, despite indulging in the success funded by the person who had now shifted the club into that elite group.
Joining snakes at the cost of domestic football, you know what mosts blues love , is neither big nor clever

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.