The Super League | FA + PL: New Charter & Fines | UEFA: Settlement

Would you be happy if City joined this European Super League?

• Yes

Votes: 109 5.3%
  • No

Votes: 1,954 94.7%

• Total voters
R446a4e24ae5417d2423476f0ce6abcaf
Makes me sick looking at them

I can only assume the owners think we owe them eternal gratitude for 'rescuing' us and can do whatever the fuck they like with our club.

I don't understand why fans are saying the players won't get richer because of the ESL. Of course they will! The ESL will generate ten times the world tv revenue of the CL. And TV is the only place that clubs can generate the revenue needed to pay the increasingly greedy players. Just look at Sterling: playing poor but still expecting a new huge pay increase. Where do fans imagine this pay raise will come from? That's right... tv revenues. Which currently are stagnant.

Football is the most exciting game on earth. But is is terribly dull when 90% of teams are parking the bus every week.

You may not enjoy them, and a closed system may be boring but NBA, NFL etc are definitely sports

Oxford Dictionary defines sport as "an activity involving physical exertion and skill in which an individual or a team competes against another or others for entertainment"
So WWE is a sport?

No doubt some will still lap up Khaldoon talking bollocks at the end of the season. Looking back,he has lied to the fans on a consistent basis. He couldn’t care less about the history of Manchester City or the generations of fans who created and sustained the club he now runs. “We had no choice”....yes...you did.

I don't think Americans understand the cultural impact of football clubs in the UK.

Most of these clubs have been around for over a century and there are families who have been supporting and attending matches for generations. They're a part of local identity, whether or not they also happen to be multi million/ billion pound businesses.

US sports might have their exceptions but this is the standard of football in Britain. Sports franchises in American aren't even fixed to one geographical location. One day you're supporting the Seattle Supersonics, the next they've jumped 2000 miles down the road to Oklahoma.

I'm not even targeting American sports, I'm a big NBA fan, but I do think that there's a fundamental cultural aspect of football that the supporters across the pond don't understand because you simply can't until you've lived it.

Football isn't always fair. It's not been fair to us in the past and it's, quite frankly, not been fair on the teams at the bottom end of the table for decades. But a big part of it is about overcoming odds, falling and getting back up again. Promotion and relegation are ingrained in my brain as a Manchester City supporter.

In American supports, leagues/ conferences are often a closed loop where the lowest teams are rewarded for being shit in order to maintain the "parity" you talk about.

That's not the way it works, as far as I'm concerned. The pyramid is a far more engaging system, in no small part because of the brutality.
Well said, pal. And having plumbed the depths that none of the other members of the dirty dozen have in recent memory, only to fight, drag and claw our way back to the summit, our fanbase is uniquely placed to know and appreciate the importance of the pyramid system and meritocracy, the perils of mismanagement and the potentially glorious rewards of loyalty, of rewards earned on the pitch not in the history books or the balance sheet.
That our owners and execs could be so blithely tone deaf to this unique aspect of our support and the hard yards endured in our lifetimes is staggering. For all their platitudes, they really don’t get us after all

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.