Coronavirus (2021) thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
GM Weekly Pop Data after today:~

Borough / Pop Today / 7 days ago / up or down wk to wk/ Testing is % of local population who have tested positive for Covid over past year.

As ever with Pop going up is bad, going down good - the higher the number the better or worse depending on direction moving. The Pop is total cases in past week versus 100,000 POPulation to even out the comparison versus size and expected cases based on numbers living there.

Bolton 108 / 63 / UP 45 Testing positive 9.2%

Trafford 38 / 46 / DOWN 8 Testing positive 7.0 %

Rochdale 38 / 34 / UP 4 Testing positive 9.6%

Manchester 35 / 37 / DOWN 2 Testing positive 9.7%

Salford 32 / 42 / DOWN 10 Testing positive 9.0%

Stockport 27 / 22 / UP 5 Testing positive 7.2%

Oldham 26 / 38 DOWN 12 Testing positive 9.8%

Wigan 26 / 22 / UP 4 Testing positive 8.9%

Bury 22 / 26 / DOWN 4 Testing positive 9.1%

Tameside 20 / 30 DOWN 10 Testing positive 8.2%

Bolton more ahead of the rest than I ever recall seeing a single GM borough before. 70 on top of Trafford with all other 9 boroughs in a group of just 18. This was appearing before our eyes over the past week and I hope it is not true the politicians all missed what we all could see happening.

Tameside goes further clear at top with half the boroughs in the 20s.

Stockport has slipped again and climbing up the table.

But nobody in really serious trouble and it is all relative to the low numbers all round.

Bolton excepted. Though not an irretrievable situation if action is taken fast (as in only a week late not two).

Can't get my head around what's going on in Bolton, Healdplace, so I can only imagine how you feel when looking at these numbers every day.

Something just doesn't sit right with me with regards to the more common explanations I've read, maybe I'm missing something. I just can't for the life of me understand why Bolton would have a lower vaccine uptake (one possible explanation put forward) than almost everywhere else in the UK. Demographic, population density, messaging, is it SO different? Surely not?

I'm sure the residents there read the same newspapers, use the same social media platforms, and watch the same news programmes as us so I just can't see why messaging etc would be any different to anywhere else.

Variant related? Time will tell, but these sort of situations are infuriating when there's little in the way of plausible explanation as yet.
Surprised nobody in the media is noting the comparison with last July/August when this happened in Bolton and spread and lead to the GM lockdown. Their numbers were sky high and above Manchester then too before the students returned. But cases spread from there to Wigan which was relaxed from the restrictions as it had very low numbers - like it has never seen since.

That August Bolton spike was clearly not vaccine related as there were none.

Nor obviously a new variant unless the one that hit elsewhere hit the NW first and was missed. Seems unlikely.

So demographics of the population seem most probable in some way.

I recall posting on here then about a local MP recording an interview for local BBC about this point in - after we had seen cases spike in here but the media had not as yet then either. When he gave an interview they explained that whoever this was ( I forget) had asked to re film the interview as he had misleadingly told them at first there was no spike in the town but in the few hours between the two had seen the data to discover there actually was.

But not it seems aware f it for days when we were in here.

Might be misremembering this but it will be in the archived thread if so I guess.

If we are going through exactly the same again where the people who need to know things like this appear not to know early enough then there really has to be an investigation into why they let it happen twice.

Last edited:
Great news that you've managed to keep progressing. Do you think the waning of your long COVID symptoms is tied to getting the vaccine? I know that many have reported long COVID symptoms tailing off once they've been vaccinated.
I was really hoping for an instant/next day alleviation from long covid after the jab, but this didn't happen (and that was hope based on a fair bit of anecdotal evidence).
However, within a week I was running again so there's a good chance it helped. Trailing off sounds about right.
I had started taking some more vids around the same time combined with breathing exercises, but I've a feeling the jab kickstarted the recovery too.

This really really annoys me. We’ve known for ages that there was a problem with variants in India, yet we kept letting planes of people come here. What am I missing about stopping international travel in the middle of a pandemic? What is so important to risk putting us back 6 or 9 months and put lives at risk?

This may also explain the spike in Bolton that appears to have been missed so far.

HOSPITAL DATA

Summary:

Better day in England with a fall of 56 patients in hospital versus 45 last week. And ventilators of 17 versus 10 last week. The other home nations fell too on both measures.

So the UK now has under 1200 in hospital and just 163 on ventilators. And England DID indeed go below 1000 by 24 meaning every nation is now in 3 figures or less. And hopefully within days so will be the combined numbers for all four. Just falls of 165 needed to get there.

The NW fared OK today in the fall in patients and ventilators. Only one area better. Things look to have settled back down.

13 September last time fewer were on ventilators in NW and 6 September last time fewer patients. A little ahead of the UK average time table slipping backwards into last Summer.

UK total:

Patients down to 1164 - it was 39, 248 at the peak on 18 Jan - (fall of 38, 084 in 108 days) :- lowest since 18 September

Ventilators down to 163 it was 4077 at the peak on 24 Jan - (fall of 3914 in 102 days) : lowest since 19 September

England only:-

ADMISSIONS
:-

76 Covid admissions following 98, 92, 68, 82, 81, 89, 128, in the week before.

As you see another low daily Covid admission number in England and under 100 a day for 7 straight days.

PATIENTS:-

Patients down by 56 to 976 v 1235 last week :- lowest since 16 September

Peak was 34, 336 on 18 Jan (fall 33, 360 in 108 days)

Ventilators: down 17 to 144 v 178 last week :- lowest since 20 September

Peak was 3736 on 24 Jan (fall 3592 in 102 days)

Regions:

Patient // Ventilators // change in past day to today and v last week

East down 7 to 83 v 127 // down 1 to 6 v 12

London down 1 to 283 v 339 // down 4 to 61 v 73

Midlands down 6 to 195 v 232 // stays at 28 v 30

NE & Yorks down 4 to 156 v 180 // down 1 to 23 v 18

North West down 12 to 166 v 196 // down 4 to 20 v 28

South East down 24 to 62 v 115 // down 6 to 3 v 12

South West down 2 to 31 v 46 // down 1 to 3 v 3

Last edited:
Under 40s to be offered Pfizer or Moderna instead of AZ where supply permits reports the Telegraph. Announcement tomorrow.

Pretty obvious the ‘Indian’ variant will be the next major hurdle we have to overcome, whether that means another lockdown I have no idea

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.