Champions League Final | Post-Match Thread

What’s more frustrating is that we actually stopped doing it against Dortmund and PSG. The reason we actually got to the final this year was that we played a deeper defensive line, didn’t give so much space behind and didn’t insist on pressing so much.
It’s a massive reason why we turned our season round also. And I reckon that’s the influence of his Assistant.
But in the key moments, he just couldn’t resist it.
I know it is easy to be accused of the benefit of hindsight but that selection and set up not only was it a failure but it had very little chance of success against a team such as Chelsea. I know it's against his religion but if he felt we had to depart from the script that got us to the final, the best option might have been to match Chelsea up with a back three dropped back 5 or 10 yards and flood the midfield with Jesus or maybe Kun up front. It may have been a bit of a bore but it is likely we would have stayed level long enough to establish the right to dominate. No guarantee of course but the key thing is that what Pep decided to do had little or no chance of succeeding.

Hindsight?

It wasn't hindsight.....as soon as that team went up,the outcome was predictable.I literally went from total confidence to little faith in an instant.

The players played poorly,but they were set up to do so.

It was an unnecessary and baffling fuck up,similar to those on previous big occasions,and the ones we thought he would learn from and not repeat.....
Totally agree

Hindsight?

It wasn't hindsight.....as soon as that team went up,the outcome was predictable.I literally went from total confidence to little faith in an instant.

The players played poorly,but they were set up to do so.

It was an unnecessary and baffling fuck up,similar to those on previous big occasions,and the ones we thought he would learn from and not repeat.....
My thoughts totally

The evening was ruined before a ball had been kicked

That's what is doing my head in.

I'm trying to forget it/move on but what is preventing that is the knowledge that if we reach another final,he is capable of doing it again.
Exactly. And as much as the players under-performed, I genuinely feel sorry for them because they looked lost with no holding midfielder support. Probably as baffled as the fans.

So. Got home yesterday morning at 6:30. Back in the house for 7:30. Sat knackered and too tired to sleep for most of the day. Avoided the news and watched a bit of shite telly on and off. Couple of glasses of a very nice Malbec finished off the day.
Up and at ‘em today no point in moping about is there?
Off the top of my head. Remember this is the club that:

1. Won the league then got relegated the very next season and scored over 100 goals whilst at it (though conceded 100 too)
2. Had a chairman who told a jubilant cup final winning team that they’d done really well and earned the club a lot of money so we were now able to buy some decent players.
3. Became the first team to lose a F A cup final to a team later relegated the same season.
4. Went 34 (thirty four) years without winning anything.
5. Got relegated with virtually the last kick of the game (Luton) and won the league with virtually the last kick of the game (QPR).
6. Won our last away game 5-2 and still managed to get relegated to the third tier.
7. Took 250k supporters to a midweek evening away game in the same third tier.
8. Got 30k fans average in the infamous 3rd.
9. Are the first team to achieve 100 points in the top flight.
10. The only team to ever complete a domestic treble - the double is so old hat.
11. Are currently the Champions of England ( the UK isn’t in Europe anymore so how can that trophy mean anything over here now? * )

There are many more reasons to be - as we always have been - proud to support OUR club.
We’ve been in the shit down the years and kept our heads held high many times before, so crack on my fellow lovely sky blue lads and lasses, Pep messed up - shit happens.
Only the most moronically gormless rag ( yes, I know - are there any other kind?) would attempt to take the piss, won’t stop em though, easiest reply is the US election mantra of 4 more years! Though the irony would be lost on them, how ironic that they say Yanks don’t get irony, well, neither do rags and they hate Yanks. mufc putting the ’moron’ in oxymoron.

The sun is out the sky is City blue, the pubs will be open soon and it’s a bank holiday. MCFC are okay.

( * of course I wanted to win it! We WILL come again)

Exactly. And as much as the players under-performed, I genuinely feel sorry for them because they looked lost with no holding midfielder support. Probably as baffled as the fans.

Couldnt agree more.....why the fuck would you play an alien set up and give the opposition a huge advantage in one of the biggest games of our existence?

Arghhhhhhhh!!!

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.