Champions League Final | Post-Match Thread

Good post, but it was at Bayern they lost to Madrid, not Barca.

But I agree that’s where this tinkerman in the biggest games started.

At Barca he pretty much played the exact same team for 4 years straight, and they’re the best team of all time.

................Valdes
Alves....Pique...Puyol....Alba
................Busquets
.......Xavi..............Iniesta
RW.............Messi.........LW

The personnel in the front 3 changed season to season, but the shape didn’t. Messi sometimes played down the middle, sometimes from the right.

But the shape, and the personnel in that back 6 didn’t change. Everyone knew how they were going to play, but they couldn’t do anything to stop them, because they were just too good.

It’s been a recurring theme during his time with us. Generally when we’ve played 433, we are unstoppable, teams cannot live us. When he starts dicking about and playing novelty formations, we tend to go to shit.

Imagine in that Barca team above if in a final he dropped Busquets and played Xavi as a number 6? Would never happen in a million years.
Great post but what. Pep did was more akin to dropping Busquets for an out of form Eto who also after an hour took the captains armband with his side losing 1-0

Finding it hard to get over the team selection, it deflated the fans, witness Julians face when he saw it and probably had a similar effect on the players. It was a boost for the Chavs though.
Apart from Walker none of them played anything like their best and in one of the most important games of their careers. Some of them may never play in another CL Final.
I’m driving the wife mad at the moment as I keep saying out loud why the f—k pick that team, it’s like having tourettes.

Last edited:
Been thinking about this ever since Saturday. Things went as badly as they could have really in the first half, playing poorly and a goal down yet he made no changes at HT? Was it only his arrogance which stopped him changing things and possibly salvaging something?....to have changed it at HT would show he'd been wrong and I'm not sure his ego could handle that.
It's hard to believe Sterling lasted 75 minutes. It was almost like Pep wouldn't take him off as he'd be admitting his mistake starting him as well. That long ball from Ederson in the first 10 minutes which he miscontrolled and failed to get a shot in, Mahrez and Foden would have taken that down and got a shot away...
It's just annoying as I feel we'd have done better with the usual so-called strongest 11, it couldn't have turned out any worse.
Also, still feeling tender about the whole thing and then Kun pops up pronto in his Barca kit, claiming Pep told him he was joining the best club in the world.

Been thinking about this ever since Saturday. Things went as badly as they could have really in the first half, playing poorly and a goal down yet he made no changes at HT? Was it only his arrogance which stopped him changing things and possibly salvaging something?....to have changed it at HT would show he'd been wrong and I'm not sure his ego could handle that.
It's hard to believe Sterling lasted 75 minutes. It was almost like Pep wouldn't take him off as he'd be admitting his mistake starting him as well. That long ball from Ederson in the first 10 minutes which he miscontrolled and failed to get a shot in, Mahrez and Foden would have taken that down and got a shot away...
It's just annoying as I feel we'd have done better with the usual so-called strongest 11, it couldn't have turned out any worse.
Also, still feeling tender about the whole thing and then Kun pops up pronto in his Barca kit, claiming Pep told him he was joining the best club in the world.
Too much to ask that Barca also pick up Sterling and Mendy?

Not posted on here since the Final, just disappointed that another Pep brainfart has cost us this final, especially as we sacrificed the FA cup to get there.

Yes, he's a great manager and we see some amazing football under him, but he's a stubborn fool at times and his blinkered love of Sterling is doing my head in.

Some going on about "it was only one player", yes, but it was like one of those sayings about a butterfly flapping its wings, the knock on effect caused chaos.
We all know it wasn't, it was the complete change in setup that did it...as well as crap Raheem. He was just the icing on the cake. Not many players, playing out of their comfort zone did well on Saturday and the complete lack of midfield was shocking

I was very sad, I didn't understand what Guardiola wanted to do, nothing he did was successful.
He was confident he would be proved right and refused to make changes because he new eventually he would be proved right. Unfortunately just like Lyon he got it very wrong again.Once can be excused but twice, not what’s expected from a top manager. Needs to take advice in latter stages of CL, these schoolboy unforced errors have to stop.

At what point will you be over this final?

a). I was over it on the night. Europe means nothing.
b). It took me a couple of days but im done with it now
c). First signing of the summer
d). First preseason game
e). Charity shield match
f). First win of the season
g). Never

I'm still in a state of bemusement over the final... I just occasionally find myself thinking about it and being bummed out and i dont know when that will go away.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.