Is Manchester a tough place to live in?

I can sympathize with Bernardo.
When you've spent years living under blue skies and sunshine it's very hard to live in constantly cold wet and grey conditions.
It can get you down.

Growing up in Stalybridge although it was a great place to grow up where I lived it was always cold, cloudy and damp most of the year, that's why they put all the cotton Mills on the east side of Manchester, the dampness in the air apparently stopped the cotton drying out and breaking down during spinning.

My son now lives in Melbourne I've been to visit him in the winter (17 hour drive) and believe me I don't think I could live there as the winter is too cold and miserable compared to the tropics where I live.
Melbourne and Hobart are the two coldest cities in Australia.
Beautiful warm summers in Melbourne with cold Winters, but not as cold as Manchester.

I hope Barnardo stays I like him as a player, I thought he would be more like Merlin but is still great imo, I thoroughly understand though if the weather is depressing him.
Let's give the lead a break, it's hard to adapt if you grow up in sunny warm Spain.
I know he's very well off, but the money means nothing if you feel miserable.

I can sympathize with Bernardo.
When you've spent years living under blue skies and sunshine it's very hard to live in constantly cold wet and grey conditions.
It can get you down.

Growing up in Stalybridge although it was a great place to grow up where I lived it was always cold, cloudy and damp most of the year, that's why they put all the cotton Mills on the east side of Manchester, the dampness in the air apparently stopped the cotton drying out and breaking down during spinning.

My son now lives in Melbourne I've been to visit him in the winter (17 hour drive) and believe me I don't think I could live there as the winter is too cold and miserable compared to the tropics where I live.
Melbourne and Hobart are the two coldest cities in Australia.
Beautiful warm summers in Melbourne with cold Winters, but not as cold as Manchester.

I hope Barnardo stays I like him as a player, I thought he would be more like Merlin but is still great imo, I thoroughly understand though if the weather is depressing him.
Let's give the lead a break, it's hard to adapt if you grow up in sunny warm Spain.
I know he's very well off, but the money means nothing if you feel miserable.
It gets a bit nippy in Tampa in the winter.
I have to put socks on.......

Is Madrid a desirable city to live in? If all these "desirable" places on the continent had Manchester weather would they be as "desirable" places to live in?

Manchester has great restaurants, great leisure facilities, good shopping areas, fantastic countrysides. What more does a footballer need?

Having experienced both I would say Madrid is a much more desirable place to live (for me anyway). Better weather (even though weather isn't one of Madrid's strong points), shopping, architecture, culture, nightlife, restaurants and some lovely places/countryside in and around. I would say it is also cleaner and friendlier. Just an all round nicer lifestyle IMO.

I have friends who love Manchester and would never live anywhere else but personally there are a great many places I would rather live. Some people just feel happier in one place or another. Nothing wrong with loving Manchester and enjoying living there but there's equally nothing wrong with preferring somewhere else.

Last edited:

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.