Seasoncard - 2021/22

Just because there were problems at the Everton game doesn’t mean there will be problems forever.

That’s the definition of testing. Identifying problems and fixing them.

How do some people not understand this? Fuck me..

Some people on here get off on wallowing around in misery and seem to actively dislike the idea of going to the football. It’s pathetic.
Sticking your mobile phone into the card reader at the turnstile and nothing happening is going to be splendid when 50k are attempting it.

Just because there were problems at the Everton game doesn’t mean there will be problems forever.

Some people on here get off on wallowing around in misery and seem to actively dislike the idea of going to the football. It’s pathetic.
Maybe because people feel that the problems haven’t been fixed?

Now that City Matters have made the club aware of many fans' reservations about this, do you have any idea yet if the club are going to meet the fans half-way (cards for the technophobes for example).

(I realise you may not be able to say anything at this point, and also that as fans were just guessing what's going to happen as the club have released no information yet.)
I can't say, mainly because I know what the club's position was at 5:30 last Thursday, when we met but that was before we challenged them quite hard over the implications of doing this.

We aren't saying don't do it, but do it with a fuller understanding of the fans' ability to cope with mobile ticketing, decent alternatives and the reliability of the system.

Had we not challenged them then they'd probably have communicated this over the weekend. The fact we've seen nothing as yet (either as CM privately or publicly) suggests there's some further debate and hopefully some pragmatic thinking going on back at the CFA.

Last edited:

If the IT at an event with 10k doesn't work, you don't go straight to 54k. You test it at 15k, 20k etc.
You also let everybody know what the plans are in advance, ask their opinion. How do they feel about using the new technology? Have they got the necessary hardware. If not, have they got a printer to print a ticket at home?

I understand this. I've worked on major IT projects for many years and am about to manage a crucial part of one of the biggest transformation projects in Western Europe, one of the key customer facing parts. So I think I know what I'm talking about.

One game, with a testing sample of 10,000, where there were significant problems (whatever the club say about it being a success) does not make it fit for roll-out to 50k on a regular basis.

The right way to do this is to carry on with a sample user base, say 10-15,000 with different phones, operating systems and providers, and assess where problems are occurring. Is it phone reception or other mobile phone problems, the reliability of the scanners, better education for the users, etc. Then when you've assessed all these things, fix as many as you can before you're ready to launch it on 50k.

You also do user research among the people using it. How many have smart phones, printers, computers, email or none of these. Then you can plan your campaign accordingly. The club simply haven't done any of this, and anything they have done isn't to the extent required to ensure it goes smoothly.
You would hope that the club would employ industry standard professionals that get how to deliver change smoothly. That none of these things have been done says they haven’t.
it seems that the first couple of home games will be used for user testing.

I can't say, mainly because I know what the club's position was at 5:30 last Thursday, when we met but that was before we challenged them quite hard over the implications of doing this.

We aren't saying don't do it, but do it with a fuller understanding of the fans' ability to cope with mobile ticketing, decent alternatives and the reliability of the system.

Had we not challenged them then they'd probably have communicated this over the weekend. The fact we've seen nothing as yet (either as CM privately or publicly) suggests there's some further debate and hopefully some pragmatic thinking going on back at the CFA.
Thanks, appreciate the feedback.

I understand this. I've worked on major IT projects for many years and am about to manage a crucial part of one of the biggest transformation projects in Western Europe, one of the key customer facing parts. So I think I know what I'm talking about.

One game, with a testing sample of 10,000, where there were significant problems (whatever the club say about it being a success) does not make it fit for roll-out to 50k on a regular basis.

The right way to do this is to carry on with a sample user base, say 10-15,000 with different phones, operating systems and providers, and assess where problems are occurring. Is it phone reception or other mobile phone problems, the reliability of the scanners, better education for the users, etc. Then when you've assessed all these things, fix as many as you can before you're ready to launch it on 50k.

You also do user research among the people using it. How many have smart phones, printers, computers, email or none of these. Then you can plan your campaign accordingly. The club simply haven't done any of this, and anything they have done isn't to the extent required to ensure it goes smoothly.

SS3 entry is already problematic due to the volume of people all forced to go via just a handful of turnstiles, many will already have experienced missing the kick off on previous occasions due to crowds/stewarding/turnstile issues.

Any additional delays will cause chaos in SS3.

I'm more than willing to take part in trials of the new tech but the club has to have contingency plans in case it doesn't work smoothly.

You would hope that the club would employ industry standard professionals that get how to deliver change smoothly. That none of these things have been done says they haven’t.
it seems that the first couple of home games will be used for user testing.
I'm not sure you can totally blame the club here. They may have found that the main problem was "user errors" rather than the infrastructure. If that's the case then there's no real need to do ramped up stress testing because that's already been done at other stadia, it works, that's known.

The other issue is how do you organise these test events? The pandemic has stopped the club doing any pre-season games with fans, so far. Maybe they will still try with restricted attendances but personally I think we just have to go with it. I know it's not welcomed by many, but I understand the reasons why it's being done, and actually can also see the argument for doing it now rather than deferring it another year (when there may be a naturally lower attendance early on).

In the grand scheme of things, it's a first world problem we are facing. I'm happy to put up with the inconvenience (and will probably moan about it afterwards) but after what some people have had to face over the last 18 months, I'm sure I can handle it.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.