Climate Change is here and man made

Where is the indication that: nearly every one of the worlds superpowers is now going to fall in line? By-the-way, 'nearly every one' is not good enough, its like saying: "Captain, we have managed to seal nearly all the holes in the Titanic..."

From https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/20...ots-take-no-notice-hardship-haste-will-cause/ again, I paste it as it is a paid news site:

"...even with treaties like the Paris Agreement, dozens of countries, including the United States and China, have failed to meet their promises.

The real point is how little thought goes into the politics of climate change. Since 1990, Britain has cut its carbon emissions at almost twice the rate of the European Union, and was the first country to put its net-zero objective into law.

With Britain responsible for around 1 per cent of global carbon emissions, does it really make sense to further increase industrial energy prices, make domestic energy bills unaffordable, and impose all sorts of other costs on consumers and taxpayers to reach net zero before everybody else?"
To be fair, Britain only cut its carbon emissions by outsourcing its manufacturing to places that didn’t.

To be fair, Britain only cut its carbon emissions by outsourcing its manufacturing to places that didn’t.

Oh, I didn't know that.

Hang on a minute - so for umpteen years now people have slagged off Mrs Thatcher (a bit before my time, but I have read stuff) because she destroyed our manufacturing base? But really she did a good thing???

Its all bloody confusing to be honest.

A very, very bright one indeed. The world will be immeasurably better for her than it has been for you and me, so you should be excited for her.

Do you HONESTLY think that life in the UK will become intolerable for her because of climate change over the next 80 years or so? Of course the UK will be barely different, other than the weather might be a bit nicer.

And in other areas, she'll have a much better standard of living, unimaginably better healthcare and improved life-expectancy. Far better outlook for anyone unfortunate to get cancer etc. Reduced working ours, more disposable income. Gadgets like you would not believe. Real AI and robots etc etc.

I could go on and on. She'll look back at your life and mine and think "the poor sods - did they REALLY have to put up with THAT".
At last the voice of reason appears on this thread and just like we developed a vaccine for covid in record time we will cope with any adverse impacts from changes in the climate.

I remember when Y2K was going to set the world into a tail spin and for me I got a well paid job involved in the response however to be truthful it was an unnecessary one.

Don't get me wrong we have challenging issues like the emergence of China and their agenda which I think is a bigger threat to world order then Climate Change and the fact China will largely turn a blind eye to climate change while it remains under CCP rule but the future is much brighter than this fear mongering of some with an agenda to do so would have you believe.

the next 100 years could see some here to unimaginable developments in AI , medical cures for cancer and other disease just a pity chippy boy and myself won't be around to see them.

At last the voice of reason appears on this thread and just like we developed a vaccine for covid in record time we will cope with any adverse impacts from changes in the climate.

I remember when Y2K was going to set the world into a tail spin and for me I got a well paid job involved in the response however to be truthful it was an unnecessary one.

Don't get me wrong we have challenging issues like the emergence of China and their agenda which I think is a bigger threat to world order then Climate Change and the fact China will largely turn a blind eye to climate change while it remains under CCP rule but the future is much brighter than this fear mongering of some with an agenda to do so would have you believe.

the next 100 years could see some here to unimaginable developments in AI , medical cures for cancer and other disease just a pity chippy boy and myself won't be around to see them.

I think that's a pretty rose-tinted view (yours and @Chippy_boy ) and one often spouted from generations who have lived through a period where national-vested interests have predetermined foreign policy and seeped into their own way of thinking. Thinking because we live in the UK and won't be hit as hard as poorer countries in the eye of the storm shows a fundamental lack of understanding of how this is a true global crisis. You think we have a problem with immigration now, wait till vast swaths of land is inhabitable!

Yes this is going to sound negative and depressing but comparing Y2K to the climate crisis is well, fucking deluded, and you can brand me as fear mongering all you like.

Mass migration, starvation, extreme weather conditions, billions worth of damage caused by extreme weather each year, global and unprecedented levels of unemployment, loss of mass wildlife, vegetation, livestock and habitats... these are things we are starting to see and will regularly see within 10 years. That's the crux of the UN report and what you could describe as a realistic assessment. Labelling these people fear mongers does nobody any favours. And if you think we can just dust off our shoulders and get on with everyday life is stupid. I mean you've just lived through a pandemic where our lives have become, fair to say, worse, yet this is nothing compared to what climate change could bring in a decade.

To your point on technology advancement, let's just hope it saves us from climate armageddon because we need to ensure we reverse the heating process and right now, governments don't know how to, certainly not in time. Let me ask you this, what good is it if you can identify cancer earlier in patients if you don't have the resources anymore to treat them? Unless you're wealthy and can access those high-end treatments which, trust me, won't be available to Tom, Dick and Harry on the NHS.

There is a way out of this and I do think countries will step up but again to go back to your Y2k analogy; if we close our eyes and hope it will be okay it fucking ain't this time.

Anyway I depress myself so apologies but, I just call it how I see it. Cheers.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.