Climate Change is here and man made

I remember the greenhouse effect getting taught at school 30 years ago, since then the UK has significantly reduced CO2 emissions, and completely cut emissions of some other gases that affect climate (CFCs, etc.). Furthermore, the UK has built several of the worlds largest offshore wind farms, numerous storage projects, brought in regulation to limit and eventually ban emissions from cars, and more. In addition, household energy use has been falling for the last 15ish years on the back of better insulation and energy saving technology like LEDs.

I understand people want to push back against outright sceptics but this idea that there is an emergency that has been wilfully ignored, with nothing done, for 30 years is nonsense. Massive progress has already been made although much is left to be done.

We could decide to stop using all carbon based fuels within five years, of course, if we want to follow the lead of extinction rebellion and the like. However, this would mean massive loss of life when winter comes, a massive collapse of the economy, and probably chaos that causes more emissions than before.

Changing a nation’s entire energy system is a large and complex undertaking. The current system we have took many, many decades to construct. This isn’t largely about the will to change, but is more about the how to change without breaking what we all depend on everyday to keep us alive.
It would be helpful if we were all reading from the same set of figures, but figures are often purposefully misquoted or taken out of context. I remember seeing one report (which I can't for the life of me find now) where it quoted energy use as going down, but what it didn't say was the measure was per person which didn't take in to account population growth. The actual net figure of energy use had risen.

For some insight into these issues and whats being done/the gravity I would suggest a couple of good documentaries for people:

Racing Extinction

Chasing Coral

It might bring a bit of perspective to a few in this thread who don't seem to think 'it's such a big issue'.

I'm a dual national, I was at the Great Barrier Reef around 18 months ago - it's not in 'great shape'. 1/5th of the worlds coral reefs have been destroyed since 2015, what do you not understand? There is no coming back from bleeching, it takes hundreds of thousands of years.

Go and speak to anyone who is an expert and or studies coral around the world and they paint a vastly different picture, from the bullshit the Australian government has fed to you via the media.

I will tell my kids (should I choose to have them), that the previous generations fucked up and it's going to be up to me and them to improve things. I will show them the value of nature and why it must be preserved and why empathy towards animals is critical.

Whatever, I'm typing and made a couple of typos.
I am not getting my info from the government Bazz I have seen it recently for myself and I know some of the reef experts that actually look at the health or the reef and make a considered and factual assessment.

The bleaching which is a natural occurrence is due to algae expulsion and the coral in the great barrier reef can and does survive this event.

You would be surprised how much white living coral was around when one of your greatest navigators Captain James Cook chartered the waters.

I suggest you look at the weather patterns and solar cycles that have been around since Adam was a boy Bazz.

El Nino and La Nina would be a good start.

the IPCC reports talks about longer lives , greener planet better food production due to a warmer climate.

What are in fact the difference between models and the observations I wonder?

Look up Prof John Christy.

is that a death knell on us Bazz.

how did rising seas cut off Australia from New Guinea Bazz?

Surely you would not put that in the man made CO2 basket albeit we could solve co2 emissions quickly as far as man is concerned by stopping to exhale.

The latest reports on droughts , fires , wind intensity , tornadoes , cyclones by number by the IPPC and mans influence on them might surprise you.

More heat waves suggests fewer shorter cold snaps and its well known that in the US cold weather kills more people than hot weather.

Climate change is not a death sentence for humanity.

At last the voice of reason appears on this thread and just like we developed a vaccine for covid in record time we will cope with any adverse impacts from changes in the climate.

I remember when Y2K was going to set the world into a tail spin and for me I got a well paid job involved in the response however to be truthful it was an unnecessary one.

Don't get me wrong we have challenging issues like the emergence of China and their agenda which I think is a bigger threat to world order then Climate Change and the fact China will largely turn a blind eye to climate change while it remains under CCP rule but the future is much brighter than this fear mongering of some with an agenda to do so would have you believe.

the next 100 years could see some here to unimaginable developments in AI , medical cures for cancer and other disease just a pity chippy boy and myself won't be around to see them.

Fair play that’s one of the funniest posts I have read on here, good wumming sir, my cap is doffed.

I was replying to you comment, and I quote: "temperatures have been rising since 1910 consistently year on year'

I merely pointed out to you that your comment was wrong, by highlight that for a period of 30 years, not just one year - 30 years from 1945 to 75 - temperatures went down.

The problem we have here is people constantly sensationalising things for dramatic effect. It's not just your throw-away line, it's incessant drip, drip, drip until the point people genuinely believe things which are simply not true. And then get all animated that the world is coming to an end, when of course it is not.
The temperature argument is often used interchangeably but it's an incredibly stupid scientific cop out. We see temperature changes as a direct threat to us because they might give us crazy weather etc but we can cope with that. I'm not worried about it raining more or summers being 2° hotter. We as humans can cope with it because we'll just build more flood defences and in the summer we'll just have to get air con for our houses.

However, what we cannot cope with is the subtle changes that are being brought forward by our destruction of the natural environment. Did you know that insects are dying at a rate of around 10% per decade and numbers have already dropped by something like 50% in just 30 years? This is something that has never ever happened before in history. Not even global extinction events like meteorite strikes or volcano eruptions have killed off the insects in 100 years.

The reason for it is not because the climate is changing but because entire habitats are being destroyed, trees are being destroyed, previously green and unused lands are being replaced by concrete and farms. On this subject it's totally irrelevant if those farms are sustainable or don't have any farting cows. The effects of climate therefore are miniscule compared to what these changes will quietly do over the next 50 years.

Basically what we will see is that thousands of years of complex interdependent biosystems will effectively fall apart and we will be left with dead concrete wastelands where nothing is alive and nothing can grow. Forget sustainable farming, forget technology, we will not be able to eat because the land will not be farmable and who knows if all of the little remaining fresh water will of dried up anyway.

To deny this is happening is silly, to somehow relegate it as not important is silly because it's not a case of whether it's happening, it's already happened. The only thing I will agree with anyone on is it's too late to do anything about it.

Last edited:
Absolutely downplaying it and again highlights a limited understanding of what is happening.

I suggest having a look at the Living Planet Report from last year, as the whole situation goes well beyond 'sea levels' and 'temperatures'. This is a dominoe effect of temperates, deforestation, loss of animal life, loss of plant life, rising sea levels, rising sea temperatures.

Deforestation you say?

Another post of mine from 2 years ago (quoting the Spectator): "according to Nasa. Deforestation, too, is happening less and less. The United Nations’ ‘state of the world’s forests’report concluded last year that ‘the net loss of forest area continues to slow, from 0.18 per cent [a year] in the 1990s to 0.08 per cent over the last five-year period’. A study in Nature last year by scientists from the University of Maryland concluded that even this is too pessimistic: ‘We show that — contrary to the prevailing view that forest area has declined globally — tree cover has increased by 2.24 million km2(+7.1 per cent relative to the 1982 level).

The trouble with the apocalyptic rhetoric is that it can seem to justify drastic but dangerous solutions. The obsession with climate change has slowed the decline of deforestation. An estimated 700,000 hectares of forest has been felled in South-East Asia to grow palm oil to add to supposedly green ‘bio-diesel’ fuel in Europe, while the world is feeding 5 per cent of its grain crop to motor cars rather than people,’

I am not trying to downplay climate change, merely to point out some misconceptions. If believe believe that we are losing rainforest at an alarming rate, when actually that is not true, then I think that is kind of important. Of course people can be excused for believing it because once again, such misinformation is pumped out constantly by a media whose presenters know no better.

The temperature argument is often used interchangeably but it's an incredibly stupid scientific cop out. We see temperature changes as a direct threat to us because they might give us crazy weather etc but we can cope with that. I'm not worried about it raining more or summers being 2° hotter. We as humans can cope with it because we'll just build more flood defences and in the summer we'll just have to get air con for our houses.

However, what we cannot cope with is the subtle changes that are being brought forward by our destruction of the natural environment. Did you know that insects are dying at a rate of around 10% per decade and numbers have already dropped by something like 50% in just 30 years? This is something that has never ever happened before in history. Not even global extinction events like meteorite strikes or volcano eruptions have killed off the insects.

The reason for it is not because the climate is changing but because entire habitats are being destroyed, trees are being destroyed, previously green and unused lands are being replaced by concrete and farms. On this subject it's totally irrelevant if those farms are sustainable or don't have any farting cows. The effects of climate therefore are miniscule compared to what these changes will quietly do over the next 50 years.

Basically what we will is that thousands of years of complex interdependent biosystems will effectively fall apart and we will be left with dead wastelands where nothing is alive and nothing can grow. Forget sustainable farming, forget technology, we will not be able to eat because the land will not be farmable.

To deny this is happening is silly, to somehow relegate it as not important is silly because it's not a case of whether it's happening, it's already happened. The only thing I will agree with anyone on is it's too late to do anything about it.
That's a fair post. Not specifically warming related as you point out, but concerning nevertheless. The decline in bee and butterfly populations just here in the UK is all too obvious.

But I don't extrapolate it to unavoidable Armageddon. Faced with either (a) extinction or (b) figuring out how to artificially pollinate crops, I would imagine we can think of something over the next century.

It would be helpful if we were all reading from the same set of figures, but figures are often purposefully misquoted or taken out of context. I remember seeing one report (which I can't for the life of me find now) where it quoted energy use as going down, but what it didn't say was the measure was per person which didn't take in to account population growth. The actual net figure of energy use had risen.
On my account I was referring to domestic electricity use, total, which has fallen despite more households and a bigger population. This doesn’t include most of our heat and transport which are the two sectors where less progress has been made.

My general point is that by pushing the message that nothing has been done we’re ignoring a lot of good progress. We should look at what has worked and do more of it. This progress has been fairly painless for society and is a good message to sell future progress. This is a contrast to the “we’ve done nothing and need to stop heating our houses and going on holiday” type argument that is too often employed and amplified by the media, which is actually a sure fire way to turn many people against taking action.

Only if China, India, US, Brazil and Indonesia do somthing will we avoid carastrophe. Anybody else's efforts will ust a drop in the ocean in resolving the problem.
Exactly this

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.