The Kippax

View attachment 25841

Was doing some clearing out this weekend and found my first ever season ticket for the Kippax. Had always paid on the turnstile before. This cost £55 iirc with a discount for early payment. Wish I was that young again, tickets were that cheap and I could walk to the ground in 30 minutes like I could back then.
Even though my first game at Maine Road was in 1980, I spent most of the eighties in the army so my first season ticket was 90-91, though it was in the Main Stand. I returned to the Kippax for the start of the 92-93 season.

I expect that there will be a few on here who can remember that swell of pride and achievement the first time they started a chant in the Kippax.

We won't mention the embarrassment we felt when we tried to start a chant and it died on it's arse...
My major regret as a blue is that I did not manage to get a chant going of "Are you Huddersfield in disguise?" when we were 5-1 up against the rags in 1989 - my weedy teenage voice was not loud enough. Maybe bacon face would have been sacked if the entire Kippax had taken up the chant and history could have been very different?

When they used to do that chant and counter chant of Manchester areas, like “Gorton - Longsight, Gorton - Longsight” no one ever joined in my counter of…
“Wilmslow” done in a high falsetto.
Same for me, the Wilmslow-Handforth chant never quite took off. I often fretted about it on the helicopter ride home

Never forget my first derby, the Maine road massacre in 89. The sound of coins pinging off the terraces being chucked by both sets of fans still ring in my ears today, lol

I expect that there will be a few on here who can remember that swell of pride and achievement the first time they started a chant in the Kippax.

We won't mention the embarrassment we felt when we tried to start a chant and it died on it's arse...
Me and my mates used to stand near the front of the Kippax at the Platt Lane end. Me and another lad went back to where the main chanters were to get 'Oh Willie Willie, Willie Willie Donachie' started. And we did it! Heroes on our return to the front.

A high. A definite low was getting an egg on my head during a Derby. Could have been worse I suppose.

View attachment 25841

Was doing some clearing out this weekend and found my first ever season ticket for the Kippax. Had always paid on the turnstile before. This cost £55 iirc with a discount for early payment. Wish I was that young again, tickets were that cheap and I could walk to the ground in 30 minutes like I could back then.

I forgot the season ticket had how long you had it. Year 1,2,3,4, then ‘regular’ if memory serves me right.

Some of the different mobs had their own songs altogether, Levenshulme, Burnage etc
I can remember “Stockport(or wherever) blues, we are here, oh oh, oh oh, shag your women and drink your beer oh oh oh oh oh oh” would be responded to with “Stockport blues you are queer oh oh oh oh”.

We weren’t exactly “woke” back in those days but nobody gave a fuck

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.