23rd September 1989

Great memories. I remember the sense of disbelief around me on the Kippax at half time and some nervousness as we had let a 3-0 lead slip against Bournemouth a few months previously. I also remember thinking that Gary Fleming had a great match up against Danny Wallace - one of United's new "stars".

I went to the Derby away match on the football special from Piccadilly and most blues on the train seemed confident of getting a result - lol!

The City team of that era personify "typical City" for me and that win at Maine Road was something that I, and I guess many other blues, clung to during the dark times that were to follow.

Took a rag with me and we had tickets in the north stand, just to the left of the goal, toward windy corner , on the way in without a word of a lie the rag said, “ I smell 5” , I never said owt, but to see the colour drain from his face when the lads sat behind us , at the side of us and in front of us, Nazi style interrogated everyone about who they were there to see, was something that will stay with me for life, I had my pin badge on, they just said to me ….you’re with us blue.
When it kicked off the lads sat around me piled over, 10 mins later they came back covered in blood, the few rags picked out before the match near me, had completely scarpered, leaving my mate shitting himself , I just sang right into his face , we’re the pride of Manchester,……….
youre the shit of Manchester, which was hard cos he was a right shortarse.
When they got onto the pitch to go to Platt Lane, I said to him, nows your chance, and the stupid prick stayed, then 10 mins after they had all gone, we were 2-0 up by then , he went to one of the stewards, all on his lonesome, to try to get out, the steward told him to fuck off, he got dogs coming back to his seat, i think the only reason he didn’t get the shit kicked out of him, was Bishops glorious 3rd happened………..what a move that was,…….. Stevie Redmond had a great game.

I will say this though, that volley from Hughes was brilliant, from where I was sat, it looked like he was lying on the crossbar when he hit it, he seemed that high off the ground, but not as brilliant as Hinchcliffes header, the ball out from Bishop to White, first time cross and bang, looked great from the North Stand, and the Kippax steaming, arms and legs everywhere, what a noise.
The angle on the YouTube clip where Lakey pulls it back for Morley to score the second, and you can see windy corner, I see myself jump on my mate as soon as Morley connects, makes me laugh every time I see it, cos I know I was literally dancing on him, what a way to break in my brand new Sambas, ……….treading all over a rag.

When you look at the 2 teams, we shouldn’t have had a chance, but we played some great stuff that day……oh Lakey ….if only

I remember everything about the day and the brilliant evening after like it was yesterday. I was so shocked by the result it was like a dream, not so shocked by winning, but winning 5-1. We score 5 so often now, we scored plenty coming up, but at top flight level it was a rare treat in those days, and against the all conquering rags.

What a day that was! 16 years old and the scenes on the Kippax were epic. Bishop's diving header goal was dream-like and Hinchcliffe's spectacular 5th goal sparked utter delirium. Our youth team graduates took their millionaires to the cleaners. I also won a junior golf tournament in Flixton and mentioned the scoreline in my acceptance speech. For me only Aguero's 93:20 and Dickov's Wembley equaliser surpass that day. Happy 5-1 day fellow Blues!!

Yep, you're indeed correct, I remember it now, coming on the back of so many goals.

And I was one of the 17,000 at that Huddersfield game!

People might not remember the week before the 5-1, United had actually walloped Millwall by five goals at home!!
Yep, you're indeed correct, I remember it now, coming on the back of so many goals.

And I was one of the 17,000 at that Huddersfield game!

People might not remember the week before the 5-1, United had actually walloped Millwall by five goals at home!!
Sure it was almost 20k…

I had a season ticket in H (left) at the top of the main stand with my dad. There was a little bar just though the tunnel, might have been the Roy Paul bar. Half time in that game was the only time i ever remember it absolutely rocking with songs at half time. Even the Main Stand moaners and coffin dodgers were euphoric. We had fallen so far behind them in the 1980s that the result meant more in some ways than a title win does these days. Imagine a starving man being suddenly and unexpectedly handed a mitchelin starred dinner.
I was in H block too back then. A few rags got a smack around the bar area at HT

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.