Etihad Campus, Stadium and Collar Site Development Thread

Metrolink is pretty OK, off-peak. Good way to get about. But it is not equipped to deal with football crowds. The capacity isn't there. The only way it might work would be if you could persuade a lot of people to arrive 1-3 hours early and depart 1-3 hours late, thus spreading the demand. However, this is not realistic, certainly not for night matches.

I honestly think the solution for City is to have a railway station of its own because that would have the capacity. But it would cost a lot and (at the moment) it would only really be useful for football matches as the day-to-day traffic would be minimal. To justify it, the area probably needs a lot more attractions and ground capacity needs to rise as well.

My perception of the met is that it’s not been as busy since we came back. I always go for a pint to let the queues die down after the game and before lockdown would still have to queue for a bit after 1 or 2 pints at Summerbees. Since coming back I’ve pretty much walked straight on to the platform each time.

My perception of the met is that it’s not been as busy since we came back. I always go for a pint to let the queues die down after the game and before lockdown would still have to queue for a bit after 1 or 2 pints at Summerbees. Since coming back I’ve pretty much walked straight on to the platform each time.
How's the beer in Summerbees? Had a couple in EL3 first game of the season and there was a terrible metallic aftertaste. Like you, I normally hang back and enjoy a pint or two then walk down for the Tram, but if the beer is rubbish may need a new routine.

Last edited:
Like you, I've been all over watching them, but when it takes 1 1/2 hours to get to Hyde after a night match & only 2 hours from Leicester for a 3pm, something is wrong.
1 1/2 hours to Hyde, which way do you go, takes me less to get back to Blackpool.

Why cant say a 100 double electric buses be bought 50 on a loop to town, 10 to Denton 20 to south mcr 20 to Stockport area. the new arena owners and city could go halves on the cost and lease them back to the council for use in rush hour. Like a sort of joint venture we like doing with mcc.
That and find a way of backing 8-10 double trams stacked near the ground and surely jobs a good un. Plus obviously when there’s an event on that clashes with kickoff make sure it’s staged enough to take the worst of the traffic at different times.

Why cant say a 100 double electric buses be bought 50 on a loop to town, 10 to Denton 20 to south mcr 20 to Stockport area. the new arena owners and city could go halves on the cost and lease them back to the council for use in rush hour. Like a sort of joint venture we like doing with mcc.
That and find a way of backing 8-10 double trams stacked near the ground and surely jobs a good un. Plus obviously when there’s an event on that clashes with kickoff make sure it’s staged enough to take the worst of the traffic at different times.
Football clubs and music venues are not bus service providers and won’t ever be spending multi millions on buses. There are enough bus companies in Manchester with buses doing nothing on match day and gig nights that will provide the service if it’s financially worthwhile for them.

Those buses would still be stuck in traffic so there wouldn’t be a loop, still quicker to walk.Midweek night games are the biggest pain, we’ve had a few 3.00 kick off this year and if you stay around about an hour after it’s surprising how clear it is by then, maybe once the arena is open with eating and drinking places open after the game more people will stay around and the big rush to get away will be less.
Obviously doesn’t help any night games especially if there is an arena event clash. Not sure what the answer to that is, a canal flotilla.

Football clubs and music venues are not bus service providers and won’t ever be spending multi millions on buses. There are enough bus companies in Manchester with buses doing nothing on match day and gig nights that will provide the service if it’s financially worthwhile for them.

Free matchday travel as long as you have a matchday ticket works in Germany, so why can't it work here?

Why doesn't one club, the council, and the local transport authoritystep forward and at least trial it? (here in Manchester)

Found this if anyone is interested? A long read, but you can skip parts of it. Not read it yet. Click on the link below.

1634112776993.jpeg

There are 2 sides (roads) out of the Etihad. The other 2 sides of the Etihad are blocked off by a canal, a tram track, and 2 redundant gas tanks. In essence 50,000 fans are funneling out ofthe ground in 2 directions, minus those fans walking back into town along the canal or catching the tram.

At MR there were 4 sides to leave the ground, bar having to walk through entries.(and dog sh*t)

The roads and public transport can't cope with that amount of people leaving the Etihad straight after the match.

Last edited:

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.