Roger Daltrey: Rolling Stones a Mediocre Pub Band

Much as I like The Who, they managed 1 x UK no.1 album and zero UK no.1 singles. The Stones had 10 x UK no.1 albums and 8 x UK no.1 singles.
Chart success is no guarantee of quality, but if you're going to throw, ahem, stones, then you need to be throwing them from less fragile accommodation than Daltrey inhabits. Some great musicians in the Who, but give me the Stones any day of the week, either in the studio or live.

I thought it was odd to even here someone refer to the "Big 4" because putting them up against Led Zep, The Beatles and The Stones is absurd for someone of my generation, a bit like Putting Andy Murray next to Federer, Nadal and Djokovic

I can only imagine they were big enough at the time but I don't think their music has endured in nearly the same way.

Much as I like The Who, they managed 1 x UK no.1 album and zero UK no.1 singles. The Stones had 10 x UK no.1 albums and 8 x UK no.1 singles.
Chart success is no guarantee of quality, but if you're going to throw, ahem, stones, then you need to be throwing them from less fragile accommodation than Daltrey inhabits. Some great musicians in the Who, but give me the Stones any day of the week, either in the studio or live.

As a blue you should know using such things as success as a barometer is at times a pointless load of old bollocks left to toothless scouser meth heads and zebra pant wearing cunts ;-)

Last edited:
Not absurd IMHO!...i like The Beatles of course but don't worship at their altar like some...
Some say they like them because they feel they should, it happens with a lot of things but I genuinely love the Beatles and listen to them all the time still, having done so for many years. They’re my favourite band by a mile.

Some say they like them because they feel they should, it happens with a lot of things but I genuinely love the Beatles and listen to them all the time still, having done so for many years. They’re my favourite band by a mile.
I rarely listen to them at all...never plonk a Beatles album on the turntable....dunno why?..Kinks /small faces are my go to bands of the era..mind you i'm listening to a lot of beBop jazz as I get older....tastes change..

Not absurd IMHO!...i like The Beatles of course but don't worship at their altar like some...
I don't worship at their altar either but it is absolutely an absurd statement. You can say you like the Kinks' early sound better but "stand up to" ANYTHING the Beatles did given their titanic and unprecedented influence is stretching things beyond credibility. IMHO.

bollocks....IMHO!
Those whose profession it is to listen to and gauge music quality, or whose job it is to study and trace the history of popular music, would disagree with you to a person. Every last one. Personal taste is one thing; historical context another. Semantics matter. You didn't say "The Beatles are rubbish", but if you had, and said it was your HO, I'd say it was also an uninformed HO.

There is such a thing as objective quality and innovation in popular music.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.