Roger Daltrey: Rolling Stones a Mediocre Pub Band

Those whose profession it is to listen to and gauge music quality, or whose job it is to study and trace the history of popular music, would disagree with you to a person. Every last one. Personal taste is one thing; historical context another. Semantics matter. You didn't say "The Beatles are rubbish", but if you had, and said it was your HO, I'd say it was also an uninformed HO.
more bollocks IMUHO!....stick to the Dreadful Grate fella....

His point was that taste was objective!
Ah, the internet. It'll find you out, the eyes are everywhere.

Cheers Dom. :-)

I hadn't actually given the objectivity / subjectivity any thought, I had only got as far as is there such a thing as good taste. I dislike being wrong but it's always good to learn.

The Who would win in a fight against the Stones any day. Roger alone would batter them all. So Solid Crew are the hardest though...the clue is in the name.

I don't worship at their altar either but it is absolutely an absurd statement. You can say you like the Kinks' early sound better but "stand up to" ANYTHING the Beatles did given their titanic and unprecedented influence is stretching things beyond credibility. IMHO.

The kinks influenced the beatles tbf and some of what is considered groundbreaking by the beatles had already been done by other british bands at the time like the kinks.

McCartney never made it a secret that he would listen to other UK bands at the time and sometimes call them asking how they produced a riff or a sound and then mix it in with his own style.

Sitars were one example, the kinks see my friends had been played using an effect recreating a tambura, which McCartney and Harrison were impressed with, four months later Norwegian wood arrived and is cited as the first western song to use a sitar, McCartney has said in interviews See my Friends was one of the best non beatles songs he heard in that time, also helter skelter was heavily influenced by the who's sound at the time.

British music fed off each other, but when asked whose sound was the building blocks for punk, prog rock, glam etc it will be the likes of the kinks not the beatles or stones mentioned.

Big fan of the beatles (bar lennon the tosser) but think the kinks were more interesting and lyrically masterful

Last edited:
I think the Stones are great but individually the Who were the better musicians, Moon, arguable one of or the best rock drummer of all times, Entwhistle, again arguably one of the finest bass players as well as an accomplished horn player, Townshend, well he's just Townshend both musically and lyrically and then Daltry, along with Plant and Jagger, THE archetypal front man, rock god ever.....The Stones have the riffs of Keef to fall back on and the biscuit tin and chopsticks of Charlie Watt ( or did )

Ironic coming from the lead singer of the typical pub band. Always disliked The Who and some of the the band members. In my opinion, the Stones were far better. It's embarrassing that The Who, Graham Nash and Joe Cocker were the only British representatives at Woodstock.

As for the 'standard blues' comments, that's a clear misrepresentation of the Stones. They only became blues-like in the 70s (songs like 'Brown Sugar'). Prior to that, they were very much pop/rock n roll who sang about non-mainstream issues (e.g. 'Mothers Little Helper', 'Paint it Black' etc..). Must admit, I much preferred the pre-70s tunes as I am not in to blues and rock opera tunes that last over 5 minutes.
I disagree, the early Stones borrowed from the black US Bluesmen, and Buddy Holly. They then started penning their own stuff, and brilliant it was too, but their early gigs were all about their interpretation of Blues. This aping of blues styles wasn't confined to them though, many top early 60's bands did it.

I rarely listen to them at all...never plonk a Beatles album on the turntable....dunno why?..Kinks /small faces are my go to bands of the era..mind you i'm listening to a lot of beBop jazz as I get older....tastes change..
Kinks and Small Faces for me too, but I do like early Beatles stuff.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.