Religion

Don’t apologise :-) if you live your life in a religious way then you are by definition religious, you can live that way without having strong beliefs. I suppose it’s a discussion around definitions and behaviours.

To turn that the other way round, the people who are religious and are kiddy fiddles, fraudsters, war mongers etc arent religious and are using religion for their behaviours.

I am 100% non religious but choose to live my life differently to alot of religious people, who I dont agree with what they do, or the cover ups by the church. ;)

To turn that the other way round, the people who are religious and are kiddy fiddles, fraudsters, war mongers etc arent religious and are using religion for their behaviours.

I am 100% non religious but choose to live my life differently to alot of religious people, who I dont agree with what they do, or the cover ups by the church. ;)
I am religious but also disagree with a lot of things that churches and people who claim to be religious do (including myself at times).

Who mentioned counting ? I said out of interest.
I meant count in the 53%. I would argue she should be in there for someone who attends church but doesn’t really take anything away from it.

That's start my saying I am not religious.

My dad was, on his death bed the hospice bought a preacher in to say prayers as my dad was withering around in bed in so much pain from cancer. I can remember watching with this anger build up inside of me. I dont understand if you believe in a god why is he making my dad suffer so much.

My missus is religious, not the church going type apart from xmas eve ( I wait in the local pub ).
She watches religious films and programs. One day I just said this film is like a 2000 year old Harry Potter film, parting the sea, two fish to feed hundreds. I just got that look !

Now I have been working closely with the Salvation Army, helping with the food banks and doing any thing to help. This has been though work I add.
They are really nice people and do great work, and are just normal people who you can have a laugh with.

I dont like the religious groups that want the ram their beliefs down your throat. I find them scary.

I dont like the way the local church is always wanting to raise money to repair the roof and these little old ladies give money etc. The CofE is so wealthy, owns land, churches, etc yet it expects the poorest and perhaps the most vulnerable to give them money.

I am just very wary of people who want to believe in something they have never seen. A book written 2000 years ago.

If it brings people happiness etc than I have no problems with that. But I read of child abuse within the church, those American preachers that con money out of people and these organisations want me to live like that and give them money, jog on !

I believe in living a good life, helping out people, being polite and kind just being nice and thoughtful. Just trying to be a decent human being. I dont need a 2000 year book and rules for that !.
@give it to gordon In relation to the Salvation Army. In the UK they seem brilliant. if you ignore the tambourines and uniform, their work with the homeless etc is great, but, there is always a but, I went to New York for a wander round. As I wandered I walked past the head office of the Salvation Army, it was in a very expensive area of N.Y. and was one of the largest, poshest buildings I have ever seen for a so called non profit, religious 'company'.
The building said to me that all those hard working volunteers were being fleeced by the bosses and to me is just the same as all the other religions.

Fleecing the poor for the benefit of a few.

@give it to gordon In relation to the Salvation Army. In the UK they seem brilliant. if you ignore the tambourines and uniform, their work with the homeless etc is great, but, there is always a but, I went to New York for a wander round. As I wandered I walked past the head office of the Salvation Army, it was in a very expensive area of N.Y. and was one of the largest, poshest buildings I have ever seen for a so called non profit, religious 'company'.
The building said to me that all those hard working volunteers were being fleeced by the bosses and to me is just the same as all the other religions.

Fleecing the poor for the benefit of a few.
yes and thats what i see religion does it takes advantage of the poor, weak and vulnerable, yes it helps them but also takes from them. The sally army does great work with the homeless etc in the uk but as you say its not all great.

Don’t want to get into too much discussion about it because I feel it’s been done to death on what is now a very circular and depressing thread but I would contend that religion has been the excuse for barbarism but not the cause.
That makes no sense though, because in the history of Africa, Christianity has depicted them as a curse, pegan and savages. They have also forced people to convert and if not killed them. You have of Christian leaders such as the pope and Mohammed himself doing and saying disgusting things about Africans.

don’t get me wrong, I understand both religion have had individuals doing good things. But you can’t just ignore centralism of religion when coming in contact with africa. It’s an excuse to say religion has been a tool for excuse.

mohammed sold slave, African history had the Arabic slave trade. I don’t see the excuse?

Christianity considers African spirituality as pegan, the pope gave the go ahead for the slave trade of Africans as they were considered uncivilised. I don’t see the excuse? Just people people believing in their religion. This still happens today.

There are lots of things done in the name of religion that have no place in humanity, child mutilation for one (circumcision and FGM) which still goes on to this day. Absolutely barbaric.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.