Coronavirus (2021) thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
You're looking at all these [bought and paid for] governments and thinking they're pushing for mandatory vaccinations to profit "big pharma".
You're thinking they harm more people with war and that has been pushed through for years so why would they all of a sudden have our best interests at heart.
And you'd be right.
But I think what's happening is the people who profit from our existence are looking at the very real possibility that a lot of us are going to be too ill to work. And they're scared.
Because what other reason do we have to exist if not to work? For them.
None.
And they're shitting themselves. So they're trying to force these vaccinations.
That's not to say they don't think they are safe. They probably hope they are.
But it doesn't mean they are. It means they think they're safe enough that short term we can keep working for them.
To be suspicious of capitalism doesn't make you an anti vaxer. But to label any suspicion as anti vax does make us all less able to be suspicious.
Works both ways that one. I doubt many people think governments necessarily have our best interests at heart but some fucker has to run the country - every country - and you need laws in place (whether we agree with them or not) to ensure a fully functioning society, otherwise it'll all go to shit. Of course they need us to work, but by the same token the people need to work in order to give themselves a chance of actually enjoying life, and I'm sure the vast majority would sooner be healthy enough to work than too sick to work.
All you had to say was that you don't agree with mandatory vaccinations instead of coming out with all the other guff.

why self isolation if the symptoms are less serious and not putting people in hospital,it will become the dominant strain and we'l all come across it at some point so why not let it rip through society
Pretty sure mild covers the whole spectrum of those who don't require hospital treatment. From asymptomatic to say, a bit of a sniffle, to being totally floored with it for a few days. And if it's the latter (which it is with a lot of people who get Covid) then you won't be fit enough to set foot outside your own front door, let alone go to work.

he adds in the chain that SA’s admissions have a data lag on them so are revised daily, back dated to when the admissions occurred. So hospitalisations will be revised upwards daily for a few days after.

why self isolation if the symptoms are less serious and not putting people in hospital,it will become the dominant strain and we'l all come across it at some point so why not let it rip through society
People are now being hospitalised in South Africa (see graph above). It would be better to vaccinate everyone first.

This is at least the 3rd time that a variant has emerged from immune-compromised population. Now that we have anti-virals, shouldn't we be targeting this population with anti-virals?

Edit: I had it with two vaccinations and it was the worst illness I have ever had. I would continue to vaccinate (with boosters) and likely it will rip through everyone else anyway because people are not going to lockdown this time. As someone who is likely to be boosted soon and who has been infected too, I would rather just get on with it now. The cost of lockdown have been enormous for us all.

I am thinking this morning that all we can do now is get the boosters, and then watch it spread and hope that the vaccinated just get a mild illness and the unvaccinated will shrink in number.

We do seriously need to look at how we protect the immune compromised because that is where in my layman's opinion that the variants are coming from. And now that we have reasonably effective anti-virals we should be targeting these groups with this treatments so that we reduce the opportunity for infection? It doesn't seem to me that this is happening. if it is, it's not been reported. Perhaps the anti-virals are not at that stage yet.

Last edited:
People are now being hospitalised in South Africa (see graph above). It would be better to vaccinate everyone first.

This is at least the 3rd time that a variant has emerged from immune-compromised population. Now that we have anti-virals, shouldn't we be targeting this population with anti-virals?

Edit: I had it with two vaccinations and it was the worst illness I have ever had. I would continue to vaccinate (with boosters) and likely it will rip through everyone else anyway because people are not going to lockdown this time. As someone who is likely to be boosted soon and who has been infected too, I would rather just get on with it now. The cost of lockdown have been enormous for us all.
I know this predates awareness of Omicron, but it suggests not immediately:
dailymaverick.co.za/article/2021-11-18-new-antiviral-pills-to-treat-covid-unlikely-to-be-made-available-in-south-africa-for-some-time/

I'm not really in favour of compulsory vaccinations however I do believe that those who chose not to be vaccinated should in some way face consequences for their choice.

I propose not allowing them out in public.

The selfish cunts.

he adds in the chain that SA’s admissions have a data lag on them so are revised daily, back dated to when the admissions occurred. So hospitalisations will be revised upwards daily for a few days after.

Suppose the crucial thing is to wait and see regarding the vaccine profiles of those admitted. If hospitals are piling up with vaccinated individuals then we have a problem; if the majority are unvaccinated then we can consider calming down. Also worth mentioning that South Africa's only 25% fully vaccinated, so obviously Omicron is going to have far more joy there than in the UK.

Suppose the crucial thing is to wait and see regarding the vaccine profiles of those admitted. If hospitals are piling up with vaccinated individuals then we have a problem; if the majority are unvaccinated then we can consider calming down. Also worth mentioning that South Africa's only 25% fully vaccinated, so obviously Omicron is going to have far more joy there than in the UK.

Due to large previous waves SA had a high percentage of pervious infection immunity. the first real study( not yet peer reviewed ) into Omicron has show significant evasion of prior infection immunity. While Vaccines do work differently and some scientists are suggesting Vaccines may do better than natural in this case. its still going to take a hit by the look of it but only time will tell on that one as we need a lot more data from countries with a good vaccine coverage.

Read that before Omicron that 90% of South African adults had prior infection through covid.

Which is crazy given how they are sky rocketing again
That 90% figure seems incredibly high. I know in all countries there will be many cases that aren't included in the official figures. For example, I'd hazard a guess that the number of people in the UK who have had Covid is nearer 20 million than the official figure of 10 million, but even if it was 30 million then that would still be less than 50% of the population, so that 90% figure seems scarcely believable!

It would need to be hugely milder for this to be a sensible strategy. Like 10x milder. That's very unlikely.

"Letting this rip" at R=2.5 (Gauteng current) would be a wave of the order of last January.

Currently, there's no quantitative evidence whatsoever that it is at all milder.

This falls somewhere between "best case scenario" and "outright wishful thinking" unfortunately.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.