Swindon Town (A) - FA Cup 3rd Round | Post Match Thread

Hopefully we get a similar tie in the next round, Swindon would of done well out of the game, selected for tv, full house & a strong City line up, especially given our covid issues, shame Pep couldn’t be there as I’m sure their manager is a disciple, every lower league teams chairman will want City in the next round after seeing how much we respect the fa cup.
It’s a bit different with covid doing the rounds but don’t underestimate the effect these games have on the locals, I wouldn’t call it a charm offensive but more they get to see the real City, not the one portrayed in the media, from the travelling dignitaries, backroom staff, players & management our club always shows it’s class, on & off the pitch. It’s a shame the players can’t interact a bit more at the minute as I’ve seen it first hand at other clubs (even ones in the championship) how it is received, if the club wants to continue its growth & attract new supporters then games like this really do wonders promoting the club
Didn't stop them booing some of our players when they were on the ball.
I thought that was a bit small time.

Not sure how true this is, but we’re hearing you have waived your share of the gate receipts from last night and, possibly, the TV money also. If true, what a classy gesture. Even if it’s not the whole ‘thing’ surrounding the match was terrific from your club, players and fans. Great to have none of the Billy Big Bollocks.

I am sure I was not the only fan of my age to have a nasty feeling prior to last night's match dreading a potential banana skin. Memories of Shrewsbury and worse still Halifax haunt my sleep still. Nothing to worry about a solid win at half pace, don't think cup upsets are as common these days anywhere

I am sure I was not the only fan of my age to have a nasty feeling prior to last night's match dreading a potential banana skin. Memories of Shrewsbury and worse still Halifax haunt my sleep still. Nothing to worry about a solid win at half pace, don't think cup upsets are as common these days anywhere
After our second goal I had to stop watching for a while and took to doing the washing up (in full match gear including scarf) chanting to myself, Come on City, come on City even though I KNEW deep down that there was no chance of a comeback from Swindon but there is still, as you say, that teeniest niggle until we are approaching 85 minutes and we are 1-4 up!! I did go back about 15 minutes later and then after half time (why not during I wonder) I brewed up so missed a few more minutes.

Will we ever escape that haunting feeling? :-)

Not sure how true this is, but we’re hearing you have waived your share of the gate receipts from last night and, possibly, the TV money also. If true, what a classy gesture. Even if it’s not the whole ‘thing’ surrounding the match was terrific from your club, players and fans. Great to have none of the Billy Big Bollocks.
Even if that is true, we won't see it in the media, but for your sake, I hope it is true.

A very fair assessment.

Shame you couldn't get to the game. Good game not go to for me as I live near your superior neighbours: Oxford. We paid to park in the Tesco which turned out to be an even better choice than it looked when I booked it: a very short walk brought us straight to the away end, which apparently hadn't been used for two years.

Seemed like your supporters enjoyed themselves despite the beating. They celebrated your goal like a cup win (I'm old enough to remember Don Rogers).

On the short walk back to the car, heard some supporters talking about not getting battered and how Swindon scoring would have hurt City, which made me smile. Hard not to seem condescending about such comments but we did dominate the game massively: it's what we do. We kind of batter teams without them noticing.

I thought Swindon worked hard and were organised and it's nice though to see a L2 team trying to play from the back. Hope you get promoted so the U's can batter you ;-). (I'm from Manchester but 31 years living in S.Oxon has an influence).
Didn’t realise you moved down there in your 40’s ;)

After our second goal I had to stop watching for a while and took to doing the washing up (in full match gear including scarf) chanting to myself, Come on City, come on City even though I KNEW deep down that there was no chance of a comeback from Swindon but there is still, as you say, that teeniest niggle until we are approaching 85 minutes and we are 1-4 up!! I did go back about 15 minutes later and then after half time (why not during I wonder) I brewed up so missed a few more minutes.

Will we ever escape that haunting feeling? :-)
I don't think I've ever been more relaxed watching City most of the time, last night could have started badly, and I think we'd still have found a way, just like we did this time last week.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.