Etihad Campus, Stadium and Collar Site Development Thread

Holmes-Miller-RFL-Project-CGI-Pitch-Corner-e1641897033713.jpg

Rugby League submitted plans to build a education facility on Grey Mare Lane

Link here

Not strictly Etihad Campus, but in sight of it.
Manchester City RFC?

Manchester City RFC?
We had the historic Rangers club resurrected last decade and playing to ever increasing crowds at the athletics stadium with a consortium of big backers with aims to get Manchester Rangers into Super League.

In the 5th/6th division, Rangers were getting 350 fans for home games. They only needed to attract 1,000 more to surpass Salford and Huddersfield’s attendances (who are SL clubs).

Yet the RFL refused to give Rangers a licence to move up the leagues in favour of looking to expand RL into other countries, so the backers all left.

Holmes-Miller-RFL-Project-CGI-Pitch-Corner-e1641897033713.jpg

Rugby League submitted plans to build a education facility on Grey Mare Lane

Link here

Not strictly Etihad Campus, but in sight of it.

The RFL was supposed to be constructing an administrative building for its national HQ near the Regional Athletics Arena as well as making improvements to the Arena itself so it could be used for RL international fixtures at the lower age groups. This was intended to happen in tandem with Manchester Metropolitan University building a campus for their sports institute on land occupied by industrial units next to this part of the site. A nearby training/development facility was meant to be part of the RFL's plans as well.

The RFL's relocation from Leeds to the Etihad Campus was supposed to happen by 2021, IIRC, but everything seemed to go quiet after MMU pulled out of their part of the development. Maybe the proposals are still alive, though, if the RFL is ready now to start moving on this part of them. That would be good news, I suppose.

We had the historic Rangers club resurrected last decade and playing to ever increasing crowds at the athletics stadium with a consortium of big backers with aims to get Manchester Rangers into Super League.

In the 5th/6th division, Rangers were getting 350 fans for home games. They only needed to attract 1,000 more to surpass Salford and Huddersfield’s attendances (who are SL clubs).

Yet the RFL refused to give Rangers a licence to move up the leagues in favour of looking to expand RL into other countries, so the backers all left.

correct such a shame. Knew of one lad who played for them.
be great to see a Manchester based club around again

I go to watch Salford every now and again as my dad is a big fan.

They’re pretty fucked - have seen dwindling attendances since they moved from the Willows.

I can’t see how Manchester / Salford can support another rugby league side. There’s just not the audience for it here.

They’re pretty fucked - have seen dwindling attendances since they moved from the Willows.

I can’t see how Manchester / Salford can support another rugby league side. There’s just not the audience for it here.

i reckon there is especially if they are playing centrally near the city centre.

i reckon there is especially if they are playing centrally near the city centre.
Don't get me wrong, I hope so, rugby league is a really fun sport to watch, with deep community roots that hasn't yet been over corporatised and over priced in the same way top tier football has...but looking at the crowds at Salford (and that was pre-covid, I've not been since as my dad is still a bit wary) I'm really not sure Manchester/Salford has the appetite for it. We're one of - if not the - biggest footballing city in the world. Places like Hull, Warrington or even Leeds, where rugby league is more popular don't have that same level of competition for people's money and time.

Don't get me wrong, I hope so, rugby league is a really fun sport to watch, with deep community roots that hasn't yet been over corporatised and over priced in the same way top tier football has...but looking at the crowds at Salford (and that was pre-covid, I've not been since as my dad is still a bit wary) I'm really not sure Manchester/Salford has the appetite for it. We're one of - if not the - biggest footballing city in the world. Places like Hull, Warrington or even Leeds, where rugby league is more popular don't have that same level of competition for people's money and time.

Yes very true.

Suppose we will never know

There's a lot of pretty grim run down industrial units from the corner of Bradford Road/Beswick Street over to New Viaduct Street, which is basically the link from the Campus into Ancoats/New Islington

Once that Arenas up and running surely that will be next to be redeveloped, whether it's City or some other investor

Salary cap ruined the game as well mate as no big stars come to super league now unless they are 35-36 years old on last big pay day and any top class players we have here all get lured to the NRL for big money?

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.